Festa al Cel 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Festa al Cel 2019

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:46 am

Festa al Cel 2019
September 21st-22nd
Lleida-Alguaire Airport, Lleida, Spain
http://www.festaalcel.com/

Featuring
Spanish Air Force Eurofighter Typhoon
Spanish Air Force F-18 Hornet
Patrulla Aspa
Patrulla Acrobática de Paracaidismo
Spanish Air Force A400M
Spanish Army Tigre
Spanish Army CH-47
Spanish Army NH90
AT-802 firefighter
Polikarpov I-153
T-6 Texan
Dornier 27
Bücker Jungmann
T-34 Mentor
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 am

Don't forget the other great acts that will be there, such as the USAF C-130 demo, and of course the Aerosparx Display Team, who will be returning to Festa al Cel for the first time since 2015. It will be our first and biggest display in Spain of 2019! As well as day shows on Saturday and Sunday, we will close the Saturday event with a spectacular pyro finale.

Also worth noting that most of the listed classic aircraft are not displaying, but are only participating in a mass flypast from the Fundacio Parc Aeronautic de Catalunya.
Last edited by Adam on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Airshow Debrief: Festa al Cel 2019

What a fantastic time I had at Festa al Cel! Sadly, this show has suffered in terms of attendance, spectacle and status since it moved inland from Barcelona to Lleida. The new venue is in the middle of nowhere, so attendance is right down, and it’s not great for photographers as it looks straight into sun. While no longer one of the biggest outdoor events in southern Europe, Festa al Cel remains one of the best places to see the Spanish military in action. This was, therefore, a show of exceptional highs and unfortunate lows.

Let’s start with the good points, and the Spanish Army provided two world-beating displays at the show. Their Tigre demonstration was the best military helicopter demo I have seen, by a long shot: low, close and noisy – and that thing has a simply incredible roll and pitch rate. It was particularly memorable at sunset on Saturday, in front of a gorgeous red sky. The Chinook display was good also, showcasing parachute drops (although this section lasted far too long), carrying underslung loads, and general maneuverability.

Another surprise highlight came from the Fundacio Parc Aeronautic de Catalunya Zlin Z-526 and Dornier Do-27A. It sounded dull, but this pair put on a very energetic show, low and remarkably close to the crowd. The Fire Boss two-ship demo was also great fun, very low and close again.
The Spanish Air Force provided several displays which were solid, but not particularly memorable. The A400M demo barely scratched the surface of the aircraft’s maneuverability, and the EF-18 Hornet display, while very good, seemed more distant and higher than it often has been at other events. Patrulla Aspa were an exception to their rule with an action-packed and spirited display from their five EC-120s, which even included a complete loop and some lovely breaks - amazing when you consider the aircraft they are using.

There were some unfortunate cancellations, however, with the Spanish Army withdrawing the NH90, the Air Force cancelling the Eurofighter display (oddly, after the aircraft had arrived at Lleida) and a no-show from the Polikarpov I-153, T-6 Texan, Jungmann and T-34 Mentor. Aerosparx were sadly down to a singleton for their pyro show, and the USAF disappointed when their promised C-130 tactical demonstration transpired, according to the crew, to be a simple flypast, which ultimately failed to materialize at all.

Had I been a regular visitor, I may have been a little disappointed all in all (albeit it is a free event, so it’s hard to complain too loudly). However my experience was not typical as I was able to enjoy Saturday harnessed to the outside of the control tower and Sunday from the edge of the aerobatic box! Looking down on the Tigre display at sunset, from nine floors up, will live long in the memory.

Check out my short highlights video below. It’s well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQoKVXq ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Adam on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”