According to Warbirds News, the B-29 Superfortress known as ‘Doc’ will have its first engine run this Friday at 8:00 a.m. The event will take place at Air Capital Flightline in Wichita, Kansas. Warbird fans have been eagerly awaiting news of the B-29 ever since its ‘rollout’ announcement back in March.
Once ‘Doc’ becomes airworthy, it will join ‘Fifi’ (pictured above) as the world’s only two airworthy B-29 Superfortresses. ‘Doc’ is very close to its first flight, with Warbirds News detailing the following as of a month ago:
– The aircraft has been partially fueled and checked closely for leaks, with none occurring.
– The fuel system is currently being fine-tuned prior to pressurization and engine start.
– Turbocharger casings are now installed on all four engines.
– Engine exhaust system installations are nearly complete.
– Final avionics components are ready to install, including the intercoms required for ground and air operations.
The event is open to media. AirshowStuff will not be attending, but we will keep you posted!
Visit and ‘Like’ our Facebook page for more updates.