Camera bags for base shows

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
ClickJ

Camera bags for base shows

Post by ClickJ » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:10 am

Fellow photography enthusiasts...what kind of camera bag do you bring to on-base shows? I've only been to one, a couple years ago at Ft. Wayne - I don't remember their exact wording for restrictions but I knew my bag would be OK.

Now, I'm trying to figure out Ellsworth (and then Selfridge) -

"Prohibited: Any bags larger than a small purse or fanny pack. This includes duffle bags, briefcases and large camera bags."

I'm going to ask them but I feel like that might risk a "depends on who you're talking to" that might cause a problem once I actually get there. The smallest bag I've got is a 16" sling which is bigger than a small purse (but could pass for a ridiculously oversized fanny pack!), and it's big enough to strap my camping stool to with the tripod straps plus it's water resistant.

Looking for something that can fit my D500, an 11" lens (and a 4" lens ideally), most of what I've seen online could possibly squeeze the long lens in at best but being spring I'd like a place to put my camera if it rains.

Would like to get your thoughts/experiences. Thanks in advance!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:11 pm

I usually try to avoid military bases for this reason honestly. The rules are all over the place, and even the official rules are up to interpretation by whatever airman is looking at stuff. I had to leave fingernail clippers in the car at Nellis because I went to a different line than everyone else and I got some spec ops wannabe :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you're going to try, the smaller you go the better your odds are. I have a small-ish bag that I pulled out for Nellis, just enough for my video camera and batteries. I had to carry the main SLR and lens loose.

One option I have not tried but you might get away with is to get one of those drawstring backpacks. Take it through security empty and rolled up, maybe stashed in a chair sleeve or pocket, then on the other side pop it out and put your stuff in it. Not as good as a full camera bag but better than carrying all loose stuff.

For water/rain protection, ALWAYS pack a black trash bag or two. They take up almost no space but can cover all of your stuff and you can rip out a hole for a poncho in a pinch.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

ClickJ

Post by ClickJ » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 am

Thanks for the feedback Ryan! I hadn't thought of one of those drawstring bags but now that you mention it I've got a couple laying around because I never know what to use them for. Maybe I'll give a camera bag a try and bring a drawstring as a plan B if I get sent back to the car by security.

I'm hoping if I loose carry my camera with the long lens , and I just have the other lens/batteries/SD cards in the bag along with trashbags/poncho/sunscreen all in the main section, and my stool strapped to it to demonstrate a more practical need for the bag I'll have better luck than if I just had every pocket chock full of camera gear :lol: .
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:42 pm

Good luck and let me know how it goes! I was talking this over with my friends and we agree it **should** be acceptable to bring an empty bag in in that. I will probably pack one for my own trip to Ellsworth in a few weeks in case I need it
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

runningmovies

Post by runningmovies » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 pm

I had been leaving my bag in my car and bring trash bag in my pocket for any show at a base. I have been thinking of getting a clear bag to use for base shows hoping that may be a good work around.
0 x

ClickJ

Post by ClickJ » Mon May 23, 2022 1:02 am

runningmovies wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 pm I had been leaving my bag in my car and bring trash bag in my pocket for any show at a base. I have been thinking of getting a clear bag to use for base shows hoping that may be a good work around.
I may have to look into a clear bag for Selfridge. I ended up buying a Hex Ranger sling for Ellsworth and didn't have any trouble:
81QGxZ41kmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81QGxZ41kmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (143.48 KiB) Viewed 8773 times
It was the smallest bag I could find that would fit a 60-600 lens, and with the lens hood it was a very tight fit along with some batteries, memory cards, and a DJI Osmo and my stool strapped to the bottom. A poncho or even a larger trash bag would have been a struggle to squeeze in there!

A day or two before the show they posted specific dimensions and my normal sling would have been too big so I'm glad I grabbed this one, although I thought it was way overpriced for what it is and how often I'll use it.
0 x

yakc130

Post by yakc130 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:32 am

Dredging up an old thread.

Looking at the military base requirements, it may be time to revert back to the old school wrap around camera covers, and the lens cases with the shoulder straps. PITA, but it seems that this should be an acceptable alternative.
0 x
Doug