Opinion and input please

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
mikeyb9

Opinion and input please

Post by mikeyb9 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi all,
First post but not my last. I have met some of you already so i have a question for the peeps who are much more skilled and knowledgable in the camera dept.

Im looking at finally jumping to SLR, and have a question, which do you all prefer Canon 80D or Nikon 7500??

Tired of crappy pics and missed opportunities. i know about the lenses and have read all the forum posts on here but hoping some of you have some insight on the cameras.

Thanks all and look forward to meeting more of you out on the circut:)
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 pm

mikeyb9 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:50 pm Hi all,
First post but not my last. I have met some of you already so i have a question for the peeps who are much more skilled and knowledgable in the camera dept.

Im looking at finally jumping to SLR, and have a question, which do you all prefer Canon 80D or Nikon 7500??

Tired of crappy pics and missed opportunities. i know about the lenses and have read all the forum posts on here but hoping some of you have some insight on the cameras.

Thanks all and look forward to meeting more of you out on the circut:)
Welcome!

I have found my 80D to be a noticeable upgrade from my 70D. I bought it specifically for improved dynamic range and got a nice capability bump in several other areas as well. I am happy with it for the price.

I have not used a D7500 but the Nikons I have used have been impressive. I would generally consider Nikon bodies to be a small step ahead of Canon bodies. Taking a quick look at the specs, I would expect the 7500 to be a better camera overall.

However, I also noticed a big price difference. An 80D from the Canon refurb store (which I have used numerous times and highly recommend) is $800 while a D7500 (new, can't find a refurb) is $1200.

Another factor is what lens you anticipate getting. You can get a 70-300mm lens for $200 or less, but you'll be wasting the quality of the body at that point. You almost might as well get a cheaper body if that's your plan. The cheapest decent lens I can think of is a Sigma (can fit either C or N) 100-400 for $700. There are a few other decent lenses around $1200, and then the Canon 100-400 for about $1800 and the Nikon 80-400 for $2300. I have a Sigma 50-500 for Canon sitting around that I can sell you for $1000.

If budget is a concern, I would say scrimp on the body if it helps you get a better lens. A Rebel with a 100-400 is probably better than an 80D with a bargain 75-300. And in a few years when the body is worn out or obsolete, the lens will still be as useful as ever.

Also keep in mind that once you buy in to one product line or the other, it is expensive to switch to the other one. I've come close to switching to Nikon a few times, but selling my bodies and lenses and getting new sets of spare batteries and such is too big of a hurdle. If you have your eye set on a higher up lens or something that is specific to one company, you'll want to go with them right off the bat.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Relaskop

Post by Relaskop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:42 pm

My gear includes Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Fuji. All make very good cameras. For action (including airshows, sports, wildlife, etc) I'm almost always using Nikon. Among mine are D7100 and D500, which sort of sandwich the D7500 you are considering although the D7500 shares much in common with D500. It's a highly capable camera and I doubt you would every regret. The first reply, RyanS I think, had good advice regarding the importance of good lenses. It's analogous to stereo systems: never buy a high quality receiver then skimp on speakers. One of my favorite lenses that I use all the time and think is outstanding value is Nikon 200-500mm. It has been out long enough that you can likely find a good used one if new doesn't fit the budget.
1 x

Larry I

Post by Larry I » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 pm

I shoot Canon but did try Nikon for 2 seasons but sold that gear off because of the lens choices. Since then Sigma & Tamron have both brought our lenses at reasonable prices that would have likely made me work with the Nikon gear for at least one more season to evaluate the 2 systems better. Because I shoot a lot more model aviation than full scale my lens needs are a bit different but lenses & camera set up are the key. Knowing how to use the camera far outweighs what brand it is. Shooting action is different than shooting stationary things & landscapes. lab ratings for lens sharpness is a good way to pick lenses but shooting action requires great panning skills, good Image stabilization in many instances & a fast AF system & that is needed in both the body & the lens. One needs to learn the menu system & some of the basic rules of photography. Relying on using a fully Auto setting works some of the time but is not the way to get the results you most likely want.
0 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:10 pm

I've got to disagree mildly with the scrimp on the body if you can get a better lens. A great lens will pretty much always shoot well, but a compromised body will not have the AF capability you need, or the rapid-fire continuous shooting you probably want.

Years ago when I upgraded myself from a D5000 to a D7000, from 11 AF points to 53, and from 3fps to 6, the different was astounding. The first show I shot with the D7000, I learned ahead of time how to use the 3D tracking AF, and I shot 1100 frame without missing focus in a single shot. The D5000, not that much less of a camera for the most part, was a 50/50 keep/toss ratio.

As for Canon vs. Nikon, it comes down to which one you like as far as handling it. I committed to Nikon years ago simply because they didn't change their lens mount to accommodate AF, so legacy lenses will fit and meter. Glass was my deciding point.
0 x

mikeyb9

Post by mikeyb9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi guys,

Well after a long hard tought process, i have decided to go with the canon 80D.

I want to say thank you so much for all your input and taking time to help me out.

Got a great deal on it with a 18-55 lens for a thousand canadian. gonna go for the sigma 100-400 to start , and then go from there.

PS thanx Ryan for the offer of the lens, i still might take you up on it. i will post some pics and i will be asking for some help im sure!!!

Cheers and lets get this show season going already.

Mikey B
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 pm

mikeyb9 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 pm Hi guys,

Well after a long hard tought process, i have decided to go with the canon 80D.

I want to say thank you so much for all your input and taking time to help me out.

Got a great deal on it with a 18-55 lens for a thousand canadian. gonna go for the sigma 100-400 to start , and then go from there.

PS thanx Ryan for the offer of the lens, i still might take you up on it. i will post some pics and i will be asking for some help im sure!!!

Cheers and lets get this show season going already.

Mikey B
Looking forward to the results!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Larry I

Post by Larry I » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:12 pm

This article I wrote a few years ago may help you understand how to set up the camera for moving targets. I wrote it for radio control so the shutter speed recommendations are too fast for full scale prop blur but we have a thread here with good advice on that part of the job. It also has some info about framing your shot so you have options for cropping later.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showth ... p?t=147971
2 x