Airshow Photography

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
BradleeG102896

Airshow Photography

Post by BradleeG102896 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:41 pm

So I’ve been attending airshows for years now, and I’ve always wanted to get the high quality photos that a lot of people on here get, but obviously you can’t do that with an iPhone lol so I figured I’d look here for some insight from other people on what kinda camera to get when starting off and things like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 x
Typical Airshow Guy!

CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm

That is a difficult one, I would counter with: what do you have in mind for a budget? It is easy to say get yourself a high end DSLR and some big glass but not everyone can make that commitment. Personally I use a Nikon D610 with the 200-400mm VR telephoto. But my wife will tell you I have a problem, especially because I'd like to move up to the 600mm prime.

I have always bought refurbished/used gear to cut the budget and highly recommend it. As long as you do your research and deal with reputable people you should be fine, I have not had an issue. I would also recommend renting some gear first and trying it before jumping into anything too far. That has saved me from a couple of potentially costly mistakes.

Craig
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:29 pm

This is by far one of the most common questions I see/get. I'll add my thoughts (and move this to the photo section) when I get home!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

BradleeG102896

Post by BradleeG102896 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm

CJEddy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm That is a difficult one, I would counter with: what do you have in mind for a budget? It is easy to say get yourself a high end DSLR and some big glass but not everyone can make that commitment. Personally I use a Nikon D610 with the 200-400mm VR telephoto. But my wife will tell you I have a problem, especially because I'd like to move up to the 600mm prime.

I have always bought refurbished/used gear to cut the budget and highly recommend it. As long as you do your research and deal with reputable people you should be fine, I have not had an issue. I would also recommend renting some gear first and trying it before jumping into anything too far. That has saved me from a couple of potentially costly mistakes.

Craig
I mean budget really isn’t too big an issue, as long as it’s worth the money and good I’m gonna pay for it. I just don’t have any idea what I’m doing in the camera department so I certainly didn’t wanna just go out and buy whatever looked the nicest and figured I would get some expert opinions first.
0 x
Typical Airshow Guy!

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:13 pm

BradleeG102896 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm
CJEddy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm That is a difficult one, I would counter with: what do you have in mind for a budget? It is easy to say get yourself a high end DSLR and some big glass but not everyone can make that commitment. Personally I use a Nikon D610 with the 200-400mm VR telephoto. But my wife will tell you I have a problem, especially because I'd like to move up to the 600mm prime.

Craig
I mean budget really isn’t too big an issue, as long as it’s worth the money and good I’m gonna pay for it. I just don’t have any idea what I’m doing in the camera department so I certainly didn’t wanna just go out and buy whatever looked the nicest and figured I would get some expert opinions first.
What is your goal - nice photos to have for yourself? Super polished, edited photos that are more for professional use?

I say that but don't plan to make money at it! :lol: :cry:
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Following up with some thoughts.

It's obviously a pretty broad question to answer, but the most basic requirements I would suggest are: 1) an SLR camera and 2) at least a 300mm zoom lens.

Which SLR you get is mostly a matter of budget, but also preference and specific goals. You can shoot fine photos using a lower-end model, but if you really get into it, you will be unsatisfied pretty quickly and want to spend more to move up. Things like frame rate, megapixels, and crop factor are all basic features to look at/compare between models.

Canon and Nikon are the two biggest brands (and the strongest rivalry) for sure, with the biggest selection of lenses. I mainly shoot Canon personally so I am less familiar with Nikon models, but I have used both and I can tell you that they are mostly the same, except Nikon's sensor tech seems to be at least a half-step ahead in some advanced features like dynamic range.

I would suggest you pick either Canon or Nikon, and look for a model that fits what you want to spend. The conventional wisdom is that you should spend more on a lens than a body, because lenses don't really 'go bad' but bodies get surpassed by new technology within a few years. That isn't necessarily true for a total beginner, but it's worth considering. Canon has a factory refurb store, which I have used many times and highly recommend. You can also check out Canon Price Watch (and presumably Nikon Price Watch?) to find sales/deals on cameras and some lenses.

Once you have your body picked out, go looking for some compatible lenses. Many lower-end bodies will come with (or you can buy separately) something like an 18-55mm or 18-135mm lens, which will be just fine for statics but not good enough for flying aircraft. For those you will want a zoom lens. The traditional 'starter' zoom lens, which is also the cheapest, is a 70-300mm or 75-300mm. There are many similar versions out there, all for about $150 to $200. Of course you can go up significantly from there, and as the budget increases so does the quality. Don't bother with teleconverters, and don't settle for less than 300mm. Look at the lens as a long term investment, and go for one that you want to be using in five years.

To get the really great shots, you'll also need to invest in editing software like Lightroom or Photoshop, plus extra batteries and fast memory cards. Editing is a HUGE portion of stunning photos, and by far the most time consuming part of the process. If you just want these photos for yourself, you may not need to bother with editing.

You may also want to consider 'mirrorless' cameras, which I am only a little familiar with. I don't think they're so great for capturing flying action and I don't personally recommend one, but it may work for you.

Ultimately there are a lot of possible answers for you, and which is best is a matter of specific circumstances. The more specific you can get with your budget, objectives, and any questions you have, the more help we can offer!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

BradleeG102896

Post by BradleeG102896 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 am

RyanS wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:13 pm
BradleeG102896 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Craig
What is your goal - nice photos to have for yourself? Super polished, edited photos that are more for professional use?

I say that but don't plan to make money at it! :lol: :cry:
It’s definetly gonna be just for personal keep, something to look back on in time and think hmm! That was cool! like I could probably do without the editing software as I’m not to smart with computers!

But with that being said I’m mainly wanting to have one for static pictures and then eventually work my way into the aerial photography once I get familiar with gear and stuff like that.

Budget wise, I mean I don’t wanna run my wallet dry. Which I’m sure the lenses are probably pretty expensive, which is why I’m mainly wanting to stick to statics at first to get my feet wet before I spend a lot of money on lenses and things. Plus I’m not sure what it’s really gonna cost so I’m not sure what kinda info to give because I don’t really know a number to throw out there.
0 x
Typical Airshow Guy!

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Ok, that does help narrow it down a bit. I don't think a long lens is too big a burden to get started. I would suggest you get the below T5 bundle from the Canon factory refurb store. It's got a somewhat basic body, a static lens, and a zoom lens for just $300. It will give you a great intro to shooting with an SLR for a crazy low price, and the pictures will be WAY better than your phone.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... efurbished

If you want to go for a bigger splash right off the bat, you could pick up this SL2 kit which includes a better body and an 18-55mm static lens for $500.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... -4-5-6-kit

A little further above that is this T7i bundle which has an even more capable body and a slightly improved 18-55mm static lens for $600.

On the last two, you can add a zoom lens of your choice now or in the future. The Canon refurb store has a couple 75-300mm lenses for $160 and $190 (the $190 will focus a bit faster - helpful!) or you can get a 70-300 or 75-300 from a third party brand like Sigma or Tamron for about $100-$200.

This is obviously Canon centric, but there are probably comparable Nikon bundles out there as well. I am not as familiar personally, but I can comment on any that you have questions about.
Last edited by RyanS on Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

BradleeG102896

Post by BradleeG102896 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 am

I really do appreciate the all the help you’ve given my Ryan! I’m gonna start with the first option that you listed and then eventually work my way into the bigger lenses and things like that.
0 x
Typical Airshow Guy!

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 am

BradleeG102896 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 am I really do appreciate the all the help you’ve given my Ryan! I’m gonna start with the first option that you listed and then eventually work my way into the bigger lenses and things like that.
Awesome! Looks like I may have typoed the link or they changed things around. Here's the bundle I meant, with the T5 and both lenses. It is now $330. Prices normally fluctuate a bit since it is refurb and they don't have a consistent stock. Still a good deal.

0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com