Girls Fly 2 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
101voodoo

Girls Fly 2 2019

Post by 101voodoo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:18 am

A little over 2 weeks away, does anyone know what planes are coming? It is going to be tough to follow up after last years lineup. Hoping for a good turnout and some nice weather like last year.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 am

101voodoo wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:18 am A little over 2 weeks away, does anyone know what planes are coming? It is going to be tough to follow up after last years lineup. Hoping for a good turnout and some nice weather like last year.
I haven’t heard anything but I wouldn’t expect much from the USAF. After last years fiasco I wouldn’t be surprised if the USAF boycotts it completely.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 am

cf18hornet wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 am
101voodoo wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:18 am A little over 2 weeks away, does anyone know what planes are coming? It is going to be tough to follow up after last years lineup. Hoping for a good turnout and some nice weather like last year.
I haven’t heard anything but I wouldn’t expect much from the USAF. After last years fiasco I wouldn’t be surprised if the USAF boycotts it completely.
what happened?
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 am

I actually find it quite funny that an event so dedicated to the promotion of the topic of aviation, especially to women, lacks the promotion of their very own event.

For many months I’ve been following the social media pages and they have been less than active with information regarding the upcoming event. Even their website was not functioning properly and is quite oudated. What blows me away is many people have had issues simply booking times for the free helicopter rides that the event is specifically centered around.

I personally made the effort to reach out to the event coordinators, ironically to get any updates that were available so I could post a thread here on the AirshowStuff forums. I did not receive a response from anyone to any email sent.

I’ve never been one to be disappointed in organizers of events but it seems like the coordinators for this one have lost their marbles. There’s a few things I won’t go into detail with but until the organizers of GF2 get their shit together, it’s not an event I will be looking forward to.

It’s a free event after all so I suppose they could care less.

Very disappointed.
0 x

AndyMedic

Post by AndyMedic » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:37 am

I dont even know wtf this is
0 x
Check out my current Airshow Photographs here: https://andybackowski.zenfolio.com/f382726257

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 am

AndyMedic wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:37 am I dont even know wtf this is
It’s an event in Abbotsford, BC that is put on to inspire young girls to get involved in the aviation industry in the future. They offer free helicopter rides to girls over the two days that the event is on but anyone can attend the event itself.
1 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:23 am

LAXSPOTTER97 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 am
cf18hornet wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 am
what happened?
Last year if you recall there was quite a lot of USAF heavies present. There was a C-5, KC-10 and two KC -135’s to name a few. I attended both days and talked to a crew member of the C-5 on the Saturday morning. I asked him when they planned to depart and he said Sunday evening. I saw him again on Sunday afternoon and we talked for about 30 minutes. I asked him if he knew a time when they were going to leave after the show and he said he didn’t know if they were going to still leave after the show that day or now Monday morning because the organizer of the event didn’t arrange for enough fuel for all the aircraft. He said he hoped to leave early that evening because they had a training flight on Monday. It so happened that they couldn’t get any fuel that day and they couldn’t leave until Monday morning resulting in them missing a training flight. The same thing happened with the two KC-135’s. They couldn’t get any fuel until Thursday morning, four days after the event was over. They both didn’t leave until Thursday and I heard that one of the KC -135 crews missed two training flights while delayed here. I’m sure the USAF was pretty ticked off about this.

Because of this debacle 1CAD went around and talked to all the crews about this and ensured they were all told that this event is completely separate from the Abbotsford Airshow. This was done at the time because of concerns that this event may be confused with the Abbotsford Airshow and that it may negatively impact the airshows chances of getting USAF support in the future. Thankfully there was no negative impact to the Airshow but I’m curious to see how much support the Girls Fly 2 event get this year from the USAF.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 am

And that is also why I will never mention this event again in any Abbotsford Airshow related thread.

They really dented the reputation of Abbotsford in general and from what I've personally seen, they could care less.

I personally did not know that members of 1CAD went out of their way to explain this event was unrelated to the airshow, I commend and salute them.

What an embarrassing event for aviation.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 pm

To expand on my last post I will say that this event is definitely worth going to check out. I go every year and there are lots of aircraft and exhibits to go see. Just because the behind the scenes stuff may not be well organized at times the event itself is.
0 x

101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:39 am

Wow, that went sideways real quick. And you wonder why Abbotsford airshow followers have a reputation of being whiners.
It does seem odd that the website has very little information about the event. Hopefully it is as good as ladt year.
1 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”