Abbotsford International Airshow 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Chuter wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 pm
101voodoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 pm Does anyone know if CC-177 #704 still has the coloured tail? Would be nice to see it after it cancelled a couple of years ago.
No it doesn’t.
That's a shame. That seems to have disappeared pretty quick.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Speedbird2706 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm
AirshowHawk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:49 pm Eurofighter has had a booth here the last few years and each year the pilots have expressed their willingness to bring an aircraft to the event... too bad they aren’t the shot callers.
RAF Eurofighters from RAF Lossiemouth were tentatively confirmed one year but then recalled for Baltic air policing. Would be nice to have at very least a booth with swag.
AirshowHawk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:49 pm The A400M cancellation last year was unexpected and very last minute. Disappointing indeed but I wouldn’t expect the Luftwaffe to send a Eurofighter this year just because of that.
Abby is working very hard on getting the Luftwaffe A400 back this year. It cancelled last year while the aircraft was on the way here according to Jim.
AirshowHawk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:49 pm Looks like a tentative release for statics will be available around June. In terms of performers I expect a couple more things to be added.
Do you know something or is that a hunch?
TooTallDean wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:58 am With the new fighter jet evaluation back on, is it likely that AIAS might get a SAAB Gripen and/or a Eurofighter Typhoon show up to show off?

https://nationalpost.com/news/governmen ... ace-delays
Would be cool if we got a Saab or Euro but I bet booths are the best we'll get from both. The Super will already be coming to Abby and the F-35 would be the only other aircraft likely to come because of the comp.
FWIW when I went in 2016, Eurofighter had a booth and guaranteed they would have a plane would be there in 2017. Obviously one didn't show, and they said in 2017 it would show in 2018, again no show. It would be great if they brought a Eurofighter to the show but understandably the logistics of getting one to Abbottsford is hard. As for the A400 again it would be great but I will take any european aircraft with a grain of salt as logistics are difficult.

Overall it looks like a great show this year, hoping more gets added as I haven't much enjoyed the show since 2016.
With the Euro's that's what happens when the SQN that's slated to come gets rescheduled to do air policing in the baltics or is on Alert. Those I wouldn't hold hope of seeing at Abby unless Canada chooses them at the Hornet replacement. Of course there's a possibility one comes to show off for the competition but we can only hope at this point.

As for the Luftwaffe A400, there's one going on static at TOM so that has a high likelihood of coming especially if it shows at TOM.

The show is shaping up nicely and they have some pretty cool statics they'll be announcing soon that don't go to airshows much.
1 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Fri May 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Credit where credit is due. After many years of (in my opinion) horrendous media and website content relating to participating aircraft - in terms of timeliness, formatting, accuracy, and consistency - Abbotsford has greatly improved this year. I'm still disappointed they never took up my offer to help, but the message was received.

First statics confirmed:

-USAF C-5M Super Galaxy
-RCAF CH-148 Cyclone

I would still love it if they included which squadron each aircraft is coming from, and the last year the aircraft type performed or was on display at Abby.
Last edited by JA Boomer on Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 pm

On their C-5 post it says next week is All-American week starting Monday so hopefully 5 days on great static announcements!
1 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Are we finally free and clear of all US static restriction besides the USMC not sending anything out of country?
0 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm

LAXSPOTTER97 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 pm On their C-5 post it says next week is All-American week starting Monday so hopefully 5 days on great static announcements!
This American also wants a lot of Canadian kit on display. Preferably Harvard IIs and Hawks.
1 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 am

JA Boomer wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 pm Are we finally free and clear of all US static restriction besides the USMC not sending anything out of country?
Yes we are.
2 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

First of the All-American week static announcements:

F-16C Fighting Falcon confirmed from the 64th Aggressor Squadron in Nevada! Been a while since we’ve had a beautifully painted Aggressor F-16 at Abbotsford.

https://www.facebook.com/360068150851/p ... &sfns=xmwa
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Speedbird2706

Post by Speedbird2706 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 pm

theairshowdude wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm
Speedbird2706 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm

RAF Eurofighters from RAF Lossiemouth were tentatively confirmed one year but then recalled for Baltic air policing. Would be nice to have at very least a booth with swag.

Abby is working very hard on getting the Luftwaffe A400 back this year. It cancelled last year while the aircraft was on the way here according to Jim.

Do you know something or is that a hunch?

Would be cool if we got a Saab or Euro but I bet booths are the best we'll get from both. The Super will already be coming to Abby and the F-35 would be the only other aircraft likely to come because of the comp.
FWIW when I went in 2016, Eurofighter had a booth and guaranteed they would have a plane would be there in 2017. Obviously one didn't show, and they said in 2017 it would show in 2018, again no show. It would be great if they brought a Eurofighter to the show but understandably the logistics of getting one to Abbottsford is hard. As for the A400 again it would be great but I will take any european aircraft with a grain of salt as logistics are difficult.

Overall it looks like a great show this year, hoping more gets added as I haven't much enjoyed the show since 2016.
With the Euro's that's what happens when the SQN that's slated to come gets rescheduled to do air policing in the baltics or is on Alert. Those I wouldn't hold hope of seeing at Abby unless Canada chooses them at the Hornet replacement. Of course there's a possibility one comes to show off for the competition but we can only hope at this point.

As for the Luftwaffe A400, there's one going on static at TOM so that has a high likelihood of coming especially if it shows at TOM.

The show is shaping up nicely and they have some pretty cool statics they'll be announcing soon that don't go to airshows much.
Understandable with regards to the RAF being pulled to do policing, but the fact of the matter remains that for 3 years Eurofighter have been promising a fighter on display and have yet to deliver on said promise. It would be fantastic if it did and they had it flying but I wouldn't be holding my breath. Which we seem to agree with.

The A400 may be slated for Thunder Over Michigan but they have yet to confirm that on the shows website or social feeds, as well as I wouldn't imagine the Luftwaffe would want an A400 hanging out in North America for a week in between shows, again I am hopeful one comes but as I said with european air forces logistics for getting them to a show in North America is quite arduous especially with geopolitical tensions on the rise.

The 64th Aggressor F-16 is a great announcement especially for Abby. Hope more unique stuff from the US can attend.
1 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm

I hope so too for more US stuff. Like I dunno... if I may be a bit selfish maybe an EA-18G Growler from VAQ-133 Wizards - I know two of the aircrew, "Miss Lippy" and "Papa Roach" would be so happy to use the afterburner on departure day knowing the cheering of joy would go up all up and down Abby with tears streaming down my cheeks! Those two studs got robbed of their OLF Coupeville photo call by some very bad dudes and dudettes - like those Wizards to get theirs at the best airshow in North America if not the world: ABBOTSFORD!

As before, I want more RCAF attendance. Frankly I'd love to see a Harvard-Harvard II pairing again.

I also understand Canadian Museum of Flight is sending warbirds. Stoked.
Last edited by AvgeekJoe on Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”