Airshow Bucket Lists

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:28 am

I'm hoping to return to Europe in either 2023, 2024 or 2025. The reason for 2023 is that the Italian Air Force (founded on March 28th, 1923) would be celebrating it's 100th anniversary. The reason for 2024 is that the RAF Red Arrows will be celebrating its 60th anniversary and I'm considering going back to RIAT at that time for this occasion. Keeping my fingers crossed that Europe will have the situation under control by that time.
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:21 am

Frankly, I am hoping I can still make it out to Oshkosh this year, since 'Venom' won't be in town for this year, but I overheard rumors, yet rumors are rumors like they say, that the TGPA (The Great Pacific Airshow) is considering of offering a second add on of another ACC single-ship demonstration team (either the A-10 or F-16), but yet, that may only be dispelled by the airshow organization or ACC itself, but its been spreading around SoCal. One thing I can say for sure is TGPA is definitely putting on in-person show on the first weekend of October (1st - 3rd, the 1st is a practice rehearsal day, something similar to the Blue's winter training at El Centro, best to describe to my knowledge) but very clueless on that rumor, I mean to be frank again, this is the only major (or big, whatever term you desire to use idc) airshow occurring that weekend, aside the airshow down at Puerto Rico Beachfront (which is an international, foreign airshow), but other than that I wouldn't doubt that TGPA would actually consider adding on more performers, but varies on the budget we have thus far.
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Nick wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:21 am Frankly, I am hoping I can still make it out to Oshkosh this year, since 'Venom' won't be in town for this year, but I overheard rumors, yet rumors are rumors like they say, that the TGPA (The Great Pacific Airshow) is considering of offering a second add on of another ACC single-ship demonstration team (either the A-10 or F-16), but yet, that may only be dispelled by the airshow organization or ACC itself, but its been spreading around SoCal. One thing I can say for sure is TGPA is definitely putting on in-person show on the first weekend of October (1st - 3rd, the 1st is a practice rehearsal day, something similar to the Blue's winter training at El Centro, best to describe to my knowledge) but very clueless on that rumor, I mean to be frank again, this is the only major (or big, whatever term you desire to use idc) airshow occurring that weekend, aside the airshow down at Puerto Rico Beachfront (which is an international, foreign airshow), but other than that I wouldn't doubt that TGPA would actually consider adding on more performers, but varies on the budget we have thus far.
A show may pursue a team but it all comes down to scheduling and the "spreading of wealth" in addition to logistics. The ACC Schedulers try to cover all four corners of the country as much as possible when scheduling and they do a great job at it. So it's entirely plausible that they could end up down there with a small selection of options that weekend. Depending on who they send to South Korea later in the month though, they may end up giving the team the weekend off that weekend.

Also, the Puerto Rico air show is not international. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth/territory of the United States, so it is treated the same as a US Airshow. However, with the Thunderbirds performing there, it's possible that an ACC Demo may not be sent (and why it was initially off the schedule). I'm sure schedulers are weighing their options.

Things are constantly evolving though, we have seen ACC add more shows many times the last few seasons and I think it keeps things exciting. I love getting a phone call and them going "we have that weekend open" and it's when you thought you had announced all of your acts. So keep up the hope, it's entirely possible.
1 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:02 pm

As of right now, ACC is sending the F-22 Raptor Demo Team to South Korea in October.
https://www.jble.af.mil/About-Us/Units/ ... Demo-Team/
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 am

Bretten Bailey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:52 pm A show may pursue a team but it all comes down to scheduling and the "spreading of wealth" in addition to logistics. The ACC Schedulers try to cover all four corners of the country as much as possible when scheduling and they do a great job at it. So it's entirely plausible that they could end up down there with a small selection of options that weekend. Depending on who they send to South Korea later in the month though, they may end up giving the team the weekend off that weekend.

Also, the Puerto Rico air show is not international. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth/territory of the United States, so it is treated the same as a US Airshow. However, with the Thunderbirds performing there, it's possible that an ACC Demo may not be sent (and why it was initially off the schedule). I'm sure schedulers are weighing their options.

Things are constantly evolving though, we have seen ACC add more shows many times the last few seasons and I think it keeps things exciting. I love getting a phone call and them going "we have that weekend open" and it's when you thought you had announced all of your acts. So keep up the hope, it's entirely possible.
I could see eye to eye with you, ACC is not bad for their scheduling, especially when it brings their attention to all corners of the U.S (sometimes the world), additionally that, apologizes for reckoning Puerto Rico as a foreign county, don't really ask how I tend to have forgotten that it is a commonwealth of the U.S. Technically, to be frank, I pretty much threw my own hopes away, it was all basically "good-for-nothing" to become reconciled to the actual factors of reality. TGPA at the moment, even full-well knowing that Fall retains it's, "In-the-Air" status, are weighting their present options, and indeed there are variety of paths and opinions that will likely be voiced and probably considered. In the meantime, all other show companies will debating on whether they actually execute an airshow, especially in the current world environment, in which case, bars a lot of traditional options their use to be comforting to for the past years.
0 x

ClickJ

Post by ClickJ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 am

I don't have many shows on my bucket list but I'd really like to make it to Oshkosh and RIAT. I finally made it to an airshow after about a 20-year hiatus in 2019 so I've been looking for shows that have the most bang for the buck as far as travel and lineup, especially now that I have a camera.

The B-52 is my favorite aircraft and at the top of my bucket list...seen plenty of statics but never in-flight! I'm hoping to make it to Barksdale this year to cross that one off but I'm not sure if that will pan out.

C-5, C-17, and F-4 demos are also on my bucket list!

I'm more of a military fan, but I'd also like to see a 747 and an A380 in person.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm

ClickJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 am I don't have many shows on my bucket list but I'd really like to make it to Oshkosh and RIAT. I finally made it to an airshow after about a 20-year hiatus in 2019 so I've been looking for shows that have the most bang for the buck as far as travel and lineup, especially now that I have a camera.

The B-52 is my favorite aircraft and at the top of my bucket list...seen plenty of statics but never in-flight! I'm hoping to make it to Barksdale this year to cross that one off but I'm not sure if that will pan out.

I'm more of a military fan, but I'd also like to see a 747 and an A380 in person.
One place where you can see C-5 and C-17 demos in the same show is at Dover AFB, Delaware. As of right now, per ICAS Calendar there will be an airshow planned at Dover AFB in 2022 (May 21-22).

To see an F-4 demo, you have two options. One is to make a trip out to Greece for the Athens Flying Week - Tanagra Air Show as Greece is one of only two nations left in Europe that still flies the F-4. The other country is Turkey. As of today with the retirement of the F-4s from JASDF service, only four countries still fly the Phantom (Greece, Turkey, South Korea and Iran). The other option is to go to Wings Over Houston in Houston, Texas as it is the home of America's only civilian-owned F-4 Phantom II.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:04 pm

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm
ClickJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 am I don't have many shows on my bucket list but I'd really like to make it to Oshkosh and RIAT. I finally made it to an airshow after about a 20-year hiatus in 2019 so I've been looking for shows that have the most bang for the buck as far as travel and lineup, especially now that I have a camera.

One place where you can see C-5 and C-17 demos in the same show is at Dover AFB, Delaware. As of right now, per ICAS Calendar there will be an airshow planned at Dover AFB in 2022 (May 21-22).

To see an F-4 demo, you have two options. One is to make a trip out to Greece for the Athens Flying Week - Tanagra Air Show as Greece is one of only two nations left in Europe that still flies the F-4. The other country is Turkey. As of today with the retirement of the F-4s from JASDF service, only four countries still fly the Phantom (Greece, Turkey, South Korea and Iran). The other option is to go to Wings Over Houston in Houston, Texas as it is the home of America's only civilian-owned F-4 Phantom II.
I would not preferably not forget that Selfridge last year at one time, also added the Collings Foundation F-4D Phantom II, however the show was based off more of a Vietnam War era theme(1965-75), and in which plausibly is why the line-up was 90% Vietnam-related aircraft.
Last edited by Nick on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

ClickJ

Post by ClickJ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:33 am

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm One place where you can see C-5 and C-17 demos in the same show is at Dover AFB, Delaware. As of right now, per ICAS Calendar there will be an airshow planned at Dover AFB in 2022 (May 21-22).

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to put that show on my calendar, I haven't been to that part of the country before either so that would be a fun trip.
Nick wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:04 pm I would not preferably not forget that Selfridge last year at one time, also added the Collings Foundation F-4D Phantom II, however the show was based off more of a Vietnam War era theme(1965-75), and in which plausibly is why the line-up was 90% Vietnam-related aircraft.
That's the show I was most looking forward to last year, mainly for the F-4, but I was excited about the whole lineup :(.
0 x

ItsCreeperPlay

Post by ItsCreeperPlay » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:06 am

The shows I am currently planning on going are,

-Battle Creek Airshow
-EAA Airventure Oshkosh
-Thunder Over Michigan
-MAAM World War II Weekend
-Planes of Fame Airshow (tentative)

-and my hometown show: Greenwood Lake Airshow.
0 x