Virtual 2020 International Council of Airshows Convention

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:06 am
Nick wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:31 pm
Bretten Bailey wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:08 pm

The convention itself isn't live-streamed or anything like that. It will operate much like the traditional in person convention did, but just be virtual. Essentially, to be able to see all the classes, forums, presentations, and scheduled releases, you'd have to be an ICAS Member that has registered for the convention. Only one computer can be linked with a sign in to the Convention Portal.

The videos that were shown to us after the conclusion of the Opening General Session & Keynote Presentation during last years convention to announce the jet team schedules were pretty similar to the videos that the teams themselves ended up sharing later on. So, its possible you'll see the same videos, just a little later than the actual announcement. It is unknown if ICAS will put those videos on their YouTube page.
So... this defines that the majority will have to await the announcements afterwards, I can see why. But one last question I have in mind, Is there certain requirements to become a member? like... Do have to be apart of the committee? or.. Is the membership only for members of the airshow industry? I Want to avoid signing up for becoming apart of business industry (Overall I have no knowledge how the membership works of the International Council of Airshows). If obtain any info on that, please feel free to briefly describe it if you will.
To become an ICAS Member, you have to be involved in the industry in some way (whether you are a volunteer or paid staff member of an air show organization, support service, performer etc...). Each organization/company pays annual dues and the registered members of the organization/company can attend the convention. Registration costs are separate than the annual dues.

The purpose of attending is to network and spend time in classes learning. There is some celebrating the year behind us, the year before us and then just have fun with air show colleagues, however. The convention is a place to get down to business for future shows.

While I will miss the actual convention this year, I am anxious to see how the whole virtual convention plans out. While the registration fee is still paid, we saved a bunch of money on not having to fly out there and get hotel rooms. I'm hoping we're back to the real deal next year though.

Don't be surprised if the schedules leak out a bit early by the way. Last year I was already receiving messages from people on what we received at some of my shows while we were still in the middle of the Opening General Session & Keynote. It was about 20 minutes later before the schedules were on the screen in the ballroom.
Understandable, I can foresee that, but of course, leakages can happen here and there, plus we are already seeing the leakage of new information beginning to unfold.
0 x