Airshow 'Map'?

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
GRNDP51

Airshow 'Map'?

Post by GRNDP51 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm

IIRC there used to be a website that had an actual map with airshows on it rather than a list. Made it easy to see where shows are located across the world/country/etc... Does anyone know if this still exists? Could have been airshowbuzz for all I know... Miss that site!
1 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm IIRC there used to be a website that had an actual map with airshows on it rather than a list. Made it easy to see where shows are located across the world/country/etc... Does anyone know if this still exists? Could have been airshowbuzz for all I know... Miss that site!
A site that has "Airshow" map that pin points where the show locations are? That's somewhat puzzling to me.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm

The ICAS website used to have a map on its calendar page, but that section of their site has been updated some time in the last couple of years. It claimed to be a global map, but ICAS only acknowledged the existence of three or four non-North America shows each year (out of 500+) so it was pretty useless except for the US and Canada.

I don't know of a global map, or even a particularly complete list or calendar of global airshows. Milavia is probably the best we've got, but their "rest of the world" section is very sparse. I used to help out with Milavia for a time, and airshows on their calendar are inputted with a lat/long value in their database. I guess with the right plugins and technical know-how, that could be used to create a global map, but it's not something they do at the moment. They do, however, have a function which allows you to search for airshows within a custom radius of a given position. https://www.milavia.net/airshows/calendar/search/

There are certainly a few websites mapping individual countries, however. Here's a UK one, for example: https://britishairshows.com/british-air ... k-airshows

And here's a French one: https://french-airshow-tv.jimdofree.com ... ieux/2021/
I don't know of a US map, but most other countries with a decent number of airshows have similar websites. It just needs some patient Googling in the local language (in this case, I searched "carte meetings aerien" and that was the first result).
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:42 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm IIRC there used to be a website that had an actual map with airshows on it rather than a list. Made it easy to see where shows are located across the world/country/etc... Does anyone know if this still exists? Could have been airshowbuzz for all I know... Miss that site!
I do believe both Fence Check & AirshowBuzz featured a map.

This reminds me of the one time at the ICAS Convention though that the jet teams announced their schedules using Google Earth. Was pretty cool!
1 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Something like this would be hand, though I expect it would be a lot of work. As it stands, I'm happy looking at a calendar and having Google Maps open to calculate drive distances :P .
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 am

I always found it easiest to just filter by state (which you can do on our calendar) and either know where the city was or Google Maps it

A map isn't a bad idea, but I imagine the coding would get a bit tricky to present it well or keep it updated
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:14 pm

I forgot I even posted this, thanks for the responses. My reason for asking actually wasn't for my own "what airshows are near me" research, that's already planned out in advance lol. This was actually for some "due diligence" on getting certain aircraft to TOM and seeing what airshows they could hit on a path to MI (similar to what the 109/190 were going to do last year). Some owners offer discounts or simply won't come, but hitting a few shows to give rides on the way over to MI could be the difference between having and not having an airframe present.
1 x