Best Non-Aviation Airshow Performer

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
lukas97

Best Non-Aviation Airshow Performer

Post by lukas97 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:37 am

Hey everyone,

At most shows there is some sort of performer that is not an aircraft. Often it is a vehicle with a jet engine (Shockwave, Smoke-n-Thunder, etc.) or super cars of some sort (Precision Exotics, etc.).

This year I saw something that I had never seen before. Someone on a dirt bike did a backflip over a flying airplane (Kyle Fowler's Long EZ). The act had a lot of people standing up and moving forward to see. It definitely left an impression on the audience and I'm sure it was one of the highlights for the average viewer. I know I've seen a video of someone jumping over Skip Stewart and Red Bull did something similar several years ago, but there can't be too many shows that have had something like this, right?

All that being said, I'm curious who, or what, is your favorite non-aviation airshow performer?
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:48 am

I can't think of too many really, but I have always liked the jet trucks. A lot of people get snooty about them but whatever, they're cool especially when you can get up close to them!

This one was particularly cool to watch, and it got close enough to burn the hair on my arms :)

0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:37 am

I always liked Robosaurus. I don't think the act is active anymore though, and I've seen it for sale on several occasions. I think it was even on a Pawn Stars episode once. It was always good fun when Robosaurus would torch a car from the junkyard or light up an aircraft hulk that would otherwise have been destined for scrap.

I'll give ground acts and most acts of any kind a chance. The jet trucks are fun when they can parade around on a taxiway and pop the afterburner close to the crowd before making their run, and races against aircraft can be cool. I'd definitely rather see that than skydiving or drones.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm

That's a good one! I got to see Robosaurus when I was just getting into shows, maybe just one time even. It was pretty cool - definitely something different.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:21 pm

This came out to the Abu Dhabi desert in 2013 and grabbed everyone's attention at the Al Ain Aerobatics Show...

There was further odd ball entertainment between flying acts:

Going further back, the 'Brotherhood of Destruction' were in Al Ain in 2009. They had a considerably cheaper transit charge on the return to the US after selling some of their cars to the locals who were last spotted doing doughnuts on the runway.....

0 x