First Timer Tips for EAA AirVenture

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
RyanS

First Timer Tips for EAA AirVenture

Post by RyanS » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:10 pm

Pulling this post out of the 2021 Oshkosh thread so that it doesn't get lost. This is my intro to EAA AirVenture for first timers who may not know what to expect. As always I'm happy to try to answer any general questions here or year-specific questions in the relevant thread!

================================

What to expect at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh: aviation overload! The show grounds are huge and there are always many things going on simultaneously so you will not see everything you'd like to. Study the map and especially the tram routes as they can save your life if you need to go long distances. As of this 2021, all official parking (unless you are camping) requires a shuttle bus to get to the gate. There are some private lots that are closer if you want to use them and I would strongly consider doing so as I hate shuttle buses.

18-36 is the main runway, where the airshows happen. As you face 18-36, warbirds are to your left, ultralights/light sports are to the right, and vintage is in the middle. The far north and south are called the north 40 (wraps around the end of runway 9-27) and south 40 and these are where the 'regular' GA aircraft can park and set up camp. The center point of the grounds is called Boeing Plaza and this is where the main static displays are parked. The displays are rotated very regularly throughout the week as things come and go. Generally I would suggest sitting south/to the right of the plaza.

The day starts at like 7am and from then until airshow time it is what I call the arrivals period. This is when the airport is open to traffic. There will be a constant stream of GA aircraft to each of the main runways and also lines of aircraft waiting to leave. You never know what will show up; warbirds and military jets are worked into the mix as they arrive. There is also a grass runway toward the south end which has ultralight-type aircraft buzzing around on demo flights and there are helicopter rides operating from the Pioneer Airport grass runway which is behind crowd left, next to the EAA museum (which is free with show admission).

There aren't fences on the grounds, the show line is marked by a burned line in the grass that is patrolled by volunteers. Don't cross the line or you'll get yelled at. You can lay a chair down to save space as long as it is folded. The seating area is also used for aircraft parking so try not to be in the middle of an alley or you will likely be told to move (or they will move your stuff if you aren't there) when planes need through. I always have people with me and we take turns watching the stuff, but I think leaving a chair (as long as it is folded) is usually ok. The people at Oshkosh are by and large extremely helpful and friendly.

Once the airshow starts it is pretty normal. The airshows usually run from 2pmish to 6pmish. After the show is over the airport opens for another arrivals period until 8pm when it closes for the night. On Wednesday and Saturday, the night show starts at 8pm and runs until 10:30 or 11pm, concluding with a very good fireworks show. Many photographers set up to shoot the fireworks over static aircraft - if you want to do this try to grab your spot early because it's very competitive. On the other nights, there is the 'twilight flight fest' at the grass ultralight runway which has a STOL competition, powered parachutes, and some other stuff.

There are a variety of food vendors around the grounds and many stay open late to service the campers. There are also free water fountains to fill bottles up during the day. There are four convention halls and some other buildings with lots of sales/information booths, and a number of forums/presentations every day. I skip all of these in favor of the flying but you can find a schedule if you are interested.

Things I would try to do depending on interest and time: Make sure you wander the warbird parking area. Especially Tues-Weds, the area should have more variety than almost any other show. While you are there, you can sit at the fence near 9-27 and watch arrivals. You get a lot closer to the runway there and the light is great for photos in the morning.

Also consider a trip to the seaplane base. This is located on Lake Winnebago a few miles south of the airport and you can catch a shuttle bus from the show grounds to take you there. It costs I think $3 to get back, so plan for that. The seaplane base is a total change of pace - very tree-sy and shaded and super relaxed. A number of GA sea planes park in a lagoon just off the main lake and you can get a pontoon boat tour of the area to see them up close.
Attachments
IMG_8150web.jpg
IMG_8150web.jpg (212.85 KiB) Viewed 14191 times
IMG_3440web.jpg
IMG_3440web.jpg (180.89 KiB) Viewed 14191 times
IMG_2407web.jpg
IMG_2407web.jpg (192.78 KiB) Viewed 14191 times
IMG_2053web.jpg
IMG_2053web.jpg (217.41 KiB) Viewed 14191 times
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

claybird

Post by claybird » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Also worth a reminder, the specific daily airshow schedule is normally posted at the Homebuilts HQ building by lunchtime. Helpful while you're at Oshkosh, and also helpful to save a copy of if you're editing some photos weeks later and need a reminder about what a performer was that perhaps you had never seen before.
1 x