Airshow London 2020 (Now "Sky Drive" Presented by ASL)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Faust wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm Sad to hear that the show is postponed, but not surprised.

However, I'm encouraged and excited to hear that the drive in option is still on the table, AND that there's a chance of the Raptor. Always a good time when they show up! :)

Now, my biggest question is this:

Why is NONE of this on the website??? I was just there, and everything looks the same as it has for months. Not everyone uses social media (clearly this includes myself), so all this stuff needs to get up on the website and be made as public a knowledge as possible, I'd say.

ASL Team is still working hard, and sounds like pulling out miracles is the order of the day - I have full faith they can do it if anyone can! However, if no one knows what's going on, then it'll all be for naught!
I agree to an extent. They did only announce the cancellation of the traditional show a couple of days ago. They also haven't announced the Drive-In event officially. I'm sure they are being very careful to announce anything due to how fluid this Covid situation is.

In the end, it's been a crazy year and they're probably trying to find the best way to announce all this stuff lol
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:45 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:32 pm
Faust wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm Sad to hear that the show is postponed, but not surprised.

However, I'm encouraged and excited to hear that the drive in option is still on the table, AND that there's a chance of the Raptor. Always a good time when they show up! :)

Now, my biggest question is this:

Why is NONE of this on the website??? I was just there, and everything looks the same as it has for months. Not everyone uses social media (clearly this includes myself), so all this stuff needs to get up on the website and be made as public a knowledge as possible, I'd say.

ASL Team is still working hard, and sounds like pulling out miracles is the order of the day - I have full faith they can do it if anyone can! However, if no one knows what's going on, then it'll all be for naught!
I agree to an extent. They did only announce the cancellation of the traditional show a couple of days ago. They also haven't announced the Drive-In event officially. I'm sure they are being very careful to announce anything due to how fluid this Covid situation is.

In the end, it's been a crazy year and they're probably trying to find the best way to announce all this stuff lol
As I have experienced working with other events in Canada & the U.S, our public officials have been very slow to commit to a "yes" or "no" on approval for these shows. No one wants to own the responsibility (IF) a rise in cases were to occur. It's best to wait until last minute in this case so that way we'd have the most confidence in spreading an accurate message. This isn't necessarily the case for ASL, but through my work with other airshows this has been the reason for such a delay in public messages.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm

It can't be that hard to shut down the ticketing operation at least until they decide to go ahead with a drive in show.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Official announcement:
Dear Airshow London Fans,

In response to recent 'buzz' we want to let you know what's going on with Airshow London.

The safety and well-being of our guests, volunteers, performers, partners and community is always our highest priority. The impact of COVID-19 has forced us to postpone our traditional festival-style event until next year, and this week we messaged 2020 ticket holders regarding the change and provided some direction on next steps.

That being said, we are working on ways to still bring you an air show - even if it's a bit different than what you are used to. We are evaluating all opportunities to ensure we can provide a fun and exciting event while minimizing risk to our fans.

When we know if we can take flight - you will know!

We hope to see you looking skywards in September ✈️😎

#AIRSHOWLONDON #MAKEITYOURMISSION

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0703997112
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm

yyz64 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm It can't be that hard to shut down the ticketing operation at least until they decide to go ahead with a drive in show.
Looks like the only ticketing option available now is the Photo Pit. Looks like they discontinued the regular airshow tickets that were on the site before.
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:07 pm

That's a good thing.I already have tickets but am quite content to wait to use them until the Blues next year.Other people who may buy and not know the situation I think that is a little unfair to continue selling tickets to a show over a year away.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Website has been updated stating "Exciting Changes Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!"
Attachments
Untitled (2).png
Untitled (2).png (479.23 KiB) Viewed 551556 times
0 x
Dan Gagnon

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Site updated with a partial performers list and ticketing.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Specifically, they're advertising:
Along with aircraft from our own Royal Canadian Air Force, the show will host four U.S.-based Demonstration Teams (United States Air Force Thunderbirds, United States Army Golden Knights, United States Air Force F-22 Demo Team & United States Air Force C-17 Demo Team), plus a number of fly-bys from US-based fighter jets, tankers and cargo jets.
Tickets are divided into zones based on how close you want to be.

Parking on the taxiway might make for better photos than even a normal year, but sadly with the border closed indefinitely I won't be buying anything in advance so even if it does end up opening in time, I'm sure the good seats will be gone.
Attachments
airshow-map-1024x711.jpg
airshow-map-1024x711.jpg (84.7 KiB) Viewed 551179 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm

This is great news! It looks well thought out and already a very good line-up. Really needed some good news and excitement to happen this year.

Kudos to the ASL staff for really thinking this through!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”