Airshow London 2020 (Now "Sky Drive" Presented by ASL)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:23 pm

Interesting to find this page

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/dem ... oking.page

"In an effort to minimize the impact of COVID-19 and to prioritize the health and safety of our personnel, the RCAF is suspending all support to air shows and other special events until further notice."
Last edited by yyz64 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:29 pm

In all honesty, if we've got two Buffs, we don't need much from the RCAF.

It's a shame, of course, but we barely have the money for gas as it is, I guess!
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Looks like the US air crews will qualify for an exemption for the 14 day quarantine rule to enter Canada for Skydrive. Also discusses the "Plan B" in case they cannot.

About 100 U.S military personnel from four United States air crews are expected in the city

American pilots and support crews participating in Airshow London in September will likely qualify for an exemption from the federal government's 14-day COVID-19 quarantine period for U.S. residents entering Canada, CBC News has learned.

The teams would be in London a day or two before the air shows scheduled for September 12 and 13 and would leave the day after the final show, according to Holly Doty, executive producer of Airshow London.

The show is using a drive-in approach this year because of COVID-19. Spectators will be required to remain in their vehicles or lawn chairs within designated zones at the London International Airport.

About 100 U-S military personnel from four US air crews qualify for exemption from the Canadian quarantine requirement, said Doty.

She told CBC News that federal approvals have been granted for the exemptions, but an official with Health Canada said each case would be assessed by the Canadian Border Services Agency when the U.S. crew members attempt to cross the border.

Crews to self-isolate

Doty said although the American flight crews will be exempt from a 14-day quarantine, they will be expected to self-isolate at London hotels and meals will be brought to them to minimize contact with hotel staff and others.

"They'll be able to come back to the airport during their show times and they will not be allowed to [interact} with any [show] patrons or staff or volunteers."

Asked how she would respond to Londoners who may be concerned to learn of the quarantine exemptions, Doty replied: "Listen, I have a family, too…I don't want to be putting anyone at risk, so certainly we've gone the extra mile to ensure that all of the [safety] protocols at the show this year are super-expanded, even over those that are being provided by [health officials].

Doty said the plans for managing the movements of the air crews while in London have been shared with the Middlesex-London Health Unit.

Back-up plan

If American pilots or crews aren't allowed into Canada because of COVID-19 restrictions, Doty said organizers have a back-up plan.

It involves working with a U.S. air base to allow crews to fly into Canadian airspace without setting foot on Canadian soil.

Doty said organizers are having ongoing discussions with a number of air bases in New York state that could assist. No firm decisions have been made at this point, she said.

Doty said the airshow is 75 per cent sold out. Tickets range from $75 to $100 dollars per vehicle and must be purchased in advance.

Proceeds go to the Children's Health Foundation in London, the Parkwood Institute and a bursary for the aviation program at Fanshawe College.

Who qualifies for quarantine exemptions

Federal Orders-in-Council, documents drafted by the federal cabinet and authorized by the Governor-General, say definitively that the quarantine rules don't apply to:

A crew member as defined under the Canadian Aviation Regulations
A member of the Canadian Forces or a visiting force as defined by the Visiting Forces Act
Other exemptions are made for employees who provide essential services, such as doctors and nurses. A person who enters Canada for the purpose of receiving essential medical services, except for those related to COVID-19, also qualify
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/a ... -1.5697832
0 x
Dan Gagnon

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 pm

So what you're saying is I need to find a way to be a crew member.... :D
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:04 pm

RyanS wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 pm So what you're saying is I need to find a way to be a crew member.... :D
Porabably Volunteer as Public Affairs Officer (laugh out loud as joke) :lol:
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 am

While it is not official yet, it appears that the A-10, F-16 and F-35A Demo Teams will be performing alongside the F-22 Demo Team at Sky Drive. :roll:
https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/
1 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:10 am

I was expecting London to be impressive due to scarcity of other shows but the latest news is mind blowing. Hook and the rest of the ASL crew have pulled off a major coup, That world class line up will never be bested in Canada.

I'll just be here In the Atlantic Bubble, sobbing to myself.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:53 am

Awesome update. Hopefully the ACC page is simply not updated or in error but it shows the F-35/A10/F16 might be Heritage flights only.

Unconfirmed either way
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:55 am

What a crazy turn of events! I figured the F-35 might be added as they teased it in the comments section on one of their Instagram posts. But to have all 4 ACC demo teams PLUS the Thunderbirds is insane! It really puts into perspective how crazy this airshow season has been due to COVID-19. Selfishly I am ecstatic for all these demos coming to the one show I will be able to see, but the pure airshow fan in me, hopes all these shows can bounce back next year, after such a crappy year. We need the airshow business as a whole to stay strong.

Mark,

I really feel for you! I know Ryan is saying the same thing about not being able to attend, and I know you both are regulars and contribute a lot in terms of pictures, videos etc. Will definitely miss you guys!

Bingofuel,

I noticed it did not technically say "demo" next to the 3 additions as well, however the ACC site usually specifies "HF Only" if it is indeed only a HF. I guess we'll find out when London updates it's social media and website.
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dan Gagnon

Sam

Post by Sam » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 pm

It looks like no USAF pilots or support personnel will be based out of London, despite what was reported by the CBC. I wonder if they will use Selfridge and/or Niagara Falls?

https://twitter.com/AirshowLondon/statu ... 5133924353

"Hello,

All teams coming to London are quarantined, as they continue their operational duties as active military. They are tested regularly & ensure safety for themselves & others. The teams will not be staying overnight on Canadian soil. Please stay tuned for more info on this."
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”