Airshow London 2020 (Now "Sky Drive" Presented by ASL)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm

I will say that I guess at this point the show will need approvals in the form of borders opening up to do this? I mean I suppose the U.S aircraft could be staged at say Selfridge or Toledo Anyway ticket purchased and fingers crossed!
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm

yyz64 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm I will say that I guess at this point the show will need approvals in the form of borders opening up to do this? I mean I suppose the U.S aircraft could be staged at say Selfridge or Toledo Anyway ticket purchased and fingers crossed!
I've definitely have heard conflicting reports on whether the pilots would need to self quarantine for 14 days if they enter Canada or if they are exempt from doing so.

Either way, at this point, beggars can't be choosers and I would take whatever I can get!

Red Zone Runway ticket purchased!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 pm

yyz64 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm I will say that I guess at this point the show will need approvals in the form of borders opening up to do this? I mean I suppose the U.S aircraft could be staged at say Selfridge or Toledo Anyway ticket purchased and fingers crossed!
I took a little visit to the Airshow London website. It appears the USAF Thunderbirds will be parked on based since the map on their website mentions were the Thunderbirds will be staged and as well as other aircraft (possibly static displays). However, I think you may be right, but there's only like 4 in a total of US performers (PACAF C-17A Globemaster III Demo Team, USAF Thunderbirds, F-22A Raptor Demo Team, & Golden Knights Parachute Team). And Selfridge seems like a place where US performers such as fly-bys could be conducted from there.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:35 pm

4 listed US performers yes but there is also mention of flybys as well. Sure they would all be better off based in London but that may not be possible, who knows. I'm sure we would probably get some CF-18 passes as well.Military show yes please!
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 am

I want to express my opinion of this:

You.
Guys.
Did.
Good.

Well, actually, to all of ASL staff, I really want to say "You've done a fabulous job!", but the vernacular seemed a bit more fitting. That we're having any kind of airshow at all is a testament to the gung-ho, over-the-top work ethic of all ASL staffers. Keeping ASL front and center in this Covid-fuelled nightmare of public distancing is an amazing feat.

I purchased my red-zone tickets right after I got the email.

I know it looks thin now, but hey, we've seen them pull stuff out of nowhere. Don't forget the Heritage Flight with the F-35 was listed for London, so maybe there's that too!

Regardless, if there's anything flying, I'll be there camera in one hand and corned beef sandwich in the other, just ready and rarin' to go!

Thanks again for making this happen, everyone at ASL!
0 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Really have to applaud what ASL has pulled off here. They have pulled together a great initial line up and I would not be surprised to see some interesting fly pasts announced later.

If I was an Ontario resident I'd have my tickets bought, alas living in Atlantic Canada means it just isn't feasible this year due to travel restrictions.(actual and self imposed.).

Best of luck with the 2020 drive in show and looking forward to a more typical ASL 2021!
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:03 pm

The Red Zone tickets (taxiway seating) is already sold out for Saturday!
1 x
Dan Gagnon

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:01 pm

I got my Red ticket for the Saturday. Should be a good time if it goes!

I trust ASL's organizational skills in getting enough washrooms and cleaning procedures, i don't trust the public to actually follow their guidelines. I'd say bring some empty water bottles just in case ;)
Last edited by Bingofuel on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

TooTallDean

Post by TooTallDean » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:07 am

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/can ... in-format/

The USAF Thunderbirds will do a full airshow performance in September but only Canadians will get to see it. Ditto the U.S. Army Golden Knights parachute team, the F-22 Raptor demo team and C-17 demo team. The London (Ontario) Airshow is going ahead Sept. 12-13 as a drive-in event with room for 2500 vehicles. The RCAF will also be sending aircraft to the show but the Snowbirds won’t be there. They’re on a stand down after a fatal accident in May. It’s being billed as “Canada’s first socially responsible and physically distant airshow.” Although the border is closed between Canada and the U.S., it appears some arrangement has been made to allow the U.S. crews to land and stay in London.

“We know how much the airshow is enjoyed by the community, so while the impact of COVID-19 prevents us from producing our traditional-style event, we wanted to create a solution that minimizes risk and interaction while still offering an exciting and family-friendly event,” said Airshow London chair Jim Graham. “We’ll have three-and-a-half hours of solid flying, of solid jet noise.” Each ticket gets a 22-foot-by-25-foot spot in the regular parking areas for $75-$115 CAD with up to six people. There is also an RV area with a limit of 10 occupants for $175 CAD. There will be no concessions or souvenir stands and patrons can bring their own food and non-alcoholic refreshments. Portable toilets will be provided.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Not sure if this is news or not
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.9 KiB) Viewed 268158 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”