EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2020 (CANCELED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:22 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm This looks like it's going to be a mess for general public.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-you ... ic-Parking

I always parked in D Lot before without trouble, but it sounds like that's not going to be the case anymore? I'm assuming permit parking is reserved for vendors, media, etc.?
Yep just like they did with the former green lot and orange lot, they're now making it permit only and shoving the public even further away. Looks like they got rid of the gold lot also. There is no public parking without taking a shuttle bus now. Absolutely terrible move and a major step backwards. Total garbage.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 pm

RyanS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:22 pm
kalamazookid wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm This looks like it's going to be a mess for general public.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-you ... ic-Parking

I always parked in D Lot before without trouble, but it sounds like that's not going to be the case anymore? I'm assuming permit parking is reserved for vendors, media, etc.?
Yep just like they did with the former green lot and orange lot, they're now making it permit only and shoving the public even further away. Looks like they got rid of the gold lot also. There is no public parking without taking a shuttle bus now. Absolutely terrible move and a major step backwards. Total garbage.
I guess that clarifies it then. Frustrating. I'd gladly camp, but unfortunately that isn't realistic as long as I attend with my Dad. Asking him to sleep on the ground or a blow up mattress at his age isn't going to happen and neither of us are going to invest in a camper we would only use for Oshkosh. Gray lot is probably going to be the one to try for I guess. Hopefully the shuttle runs frequently enough to be worth waiting for.

I get that they're trying to make things as safe and convenient for campers, exhibitors, etc. It's just not ideal for those of us who aren't one of those groups of people. I think it's going to be a huge mess, especially if the stories I've heard about weekend traffic are true.

Going to Oshkosh is usually really easy with traffic but last year was the first time we've ever had problems. We had police officers telling us lots were closed that weren't, and unexpected exit and road closures that made it a bit of a hassle. I chalked most of it up to the issues with the muddy grounds and officers just not knowing any better. This sounds worse than those relatively minor inconveniences. We'll adjust and figure it out, I guess.
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:53 pm

On the bright side, a few more details on the warbird show structure for the week:

https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publicatio ... -WWIIs-End
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34 am

The changes actually make me really angry, especially since EAA had the balls to post on Facebook today that they have 'upgraded' the parking situation.

It used to be really nice to park in orange lot for warbirds, blue lot for the plaza, or gold lot for ultralights. When they cut orange lot I almost stopped making it to that end of the field. Then they cut green lot which made blue lot so crowded I opted for gold lot instead. Now even that is gone. They confirmed that the only public parking option will essentially rely on shuttle busses from the more remote lots.

This is an absolute slap in the face to anyone who brings in more than a small bag. Good luck squeezing a wagon, stroller, whatever onto a crowded school bus. And god help you when the night shows let out (admittedly traffic was already bad then but at least you were in your own car). Forget something in your car? I've done it and I was able to run out and grab it. I would even run out to get tripods before a night show. Not going to happen now.

I've already seen one comment from an older person who says that he won't deal with the hassle of shuttle busses and will skip the show. If my parents didn't have a handicap sticker they'd be totally screwed too because they bring in a wagon to carry their chairs. Anyone with kids has extra hassle now as well. It just sucks all the way around. I hope people let EAA hear all about it, and I especially hope that people give their money to the private lots that are now closer to the gate than any official EAA parking. SOS Bros is maybe the only place you can walk in from any more! Beerventure FTW.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Airplanefreak2000

Post by Airplanefreak2000 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:38 am

Says everything
Attachments
BCF8A368-B977-441A-93CB-2A365C6550DD.png
BCF8A368-B977-441A-93CB-2A365C6550DD.png (220.29 KiB) Viewed 9239 times
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:45 pm

SOS Bros is ready to capitalize on EAA's stupidity

https://www.facebook.com/12203555117494 ... &__tn__=-R
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:05 am

Jim Tobul and his F4U Corsair "Korean War Hero" confirmed.
0 x

Airshow0wen

Post by Airshow0wen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 am

Looks like the F-35A Lightning II Demo Team will be joining the F-16 Demo Team at Oshkosh.

https://www.airforceheritageflight.org/ ... -schedule/

Of course, that's all gonna depend on how long the COVID-19 situation will last. Hopefully by then things will be back under control.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Not sure about the F-35, but the F-22 Demo Team will be attending as a Heritage Flight Only.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”