MCAS Yuma Airshow 2020 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 am

Adding a couple photos from last year for your reference.

I believe they actually let cars in earlier than advertised. I don't quite remember but I do remember being a little annoyed that we weren't there earlier. We were aiming for about 10 minutes early I think.

The show line is the red line on my map. It is kinked in the middle. We sat at the red dot, grand stands were about at the blue dot. We got BLASTED by speakers but people on the grand stands said they didn't even notice them.

Friday had almost no available seating. You should get the grand stand. They had all chalets and the static ramp blocked off. All general admission was behind the tents and grand stands from what I remember. The PAO got us into a chalet tent that was supposed to be closed and got into a big argument with some of the contractors doing set up (I think) about whether we could stay there. It was a mess.

Friday parking is behind the hangars (blue box on my map) with a shuttle tram leading to the main gate. It wasn't too bad but just very competitive to get in.

For normal parking Saturday you enter through the other side of the airport and park in the green box. They had school buses to shuttle you up to the show area but many people just walked. We walked out to the car after the show. On base premium parking was almost certainly the same spots as the night show, which could be better or even further depending on where they put you. Traffic was ok from what I remember, it is not a 100k person show. We were funneled off base to the southeast on Saturday.

They are fairly strict but weren't unfriendly. I openly brought my scanner (which was clearly stated as allowed) and on Saturday the guy said I couldn't bring it in. I asked him to check with someone and that person looked it over and said fine. I mostly applied for media to get my camera bag in and I never even had to show the credentials to clear security with it, so that was good.

If you want to spot the best place is a large parking lot just off the north end of the field. We had a good time there on Friday!
Attachments
20190309_095134.jpg
20190309_095134.jpg (340.7 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
20190309_092150.jpg
20190309_092150.jpg (257.43 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
Annotation 2020-01-30 194159.png
Annotation 2020-01-30 194159.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8876 times
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

EricP

Post by EricP » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 am Adding a couple photos from last year for your reference.

I believe they actually let cars in earlier than advertised. I don't quite remember but I do remember being a little annoyed that we weren't there earlier. We were aiming for about 10 minutes early I think.

The show line is the red line on my map. It is kinked in the middle. We sat at the red dot, grand stands were about at the blue dot. We got BLASTED by speakers but people on the grand stands said they didn't even notice them.

Friday had almost no available seating. You should get the grand stand. They had all chalets and the static ramp blocked off. All general admission was behind the tents and grand stands from what I remember. The PAO got us into a chalet tent that was supposed to be closed and got into a big argument with some of the contractors doing set up (I think) about whether we could stay there. It was a mess.

Friday parking is behind the hangars (blue box on my map) with a shuttle tram leading to the main gate. It wasn't too bad but just very competitive to get in.

For normal parking Saturday you enter through the other side of the airport and park in the green box. They had school buses to shuttle you up to the show area but many people just walked. We walked out to the car after the show. On base premium parking was almost certainly the same spots as the night show, which could be better or even further depending on where they put you. Traffic was ok from what I remember, it is not a 100k person show. We were funneled off base to the southeast on Saturday.

They are fairly strict but weren't unfriendly. I openly brought my scanner (which was clearly stated as allowed) and on Saturday the guy said I couldn't bring it in. I asked him to check with someone and that person looked it over and said fine. I mostly applied for media to get my camera bag in and I never even had to show the credentials to clear security with it, so that was good.

If you want to spot the best place is a large parking lot just off the north end of the field. We had a good time there on Friday!
This is great info Ryan and exactly what I was looking for...thank you!
2 x
Eric P.

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:29 am

We are obsessed with our logo... also, mark your calendars for an AWESOME announcement on Monday, February 3rd! 👀

#Repost @luiselanderos
・・・
Behind every logo design there's always many tasks that never come to light, such as research, ideas, brainstorm, drafts, thumbnails sketches, drawing, colors, typography and vector illustration. That's why I always like to share my process. P.S. I love my @lincolndesignco mug. .
https://www.facebook.com/Yumaairshow/ph ... &__tn__=-R
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:43 pm

Last years logo was pretty cool - Dave and I both grabbed a discount shirt on the way out and wore it plenty of times since!
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:43 pm

Static Displays:
- MiG-17 'Fresco'
- UH-1H Huey
- Mi-24D 'Hind'
- A6M3 Zero
- C-12F Huron
- KC-135T Stratotanker
- HH-1N Huey
- EC-130H Compass Call
- AH-1Z Viper
- F-16C Fighting Falcon
- F-5N Tiger II
- MV-22B Osprey
- AV-8B Harrier II
- F/A-18C Hornet
- F-35B Lightning II
- MQ-21A Blackjack
- UC-35D Citation Encore
- CH-53E Super Stallion
- F/A-18D Hornet
- KC-130J Hercules
- UH-1Y Venom

Subjected To Change.
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 am

Per the ICAS Calendar, it lists the F/A-18F Super Hornet TAC Demo team as a performer. I believe the Navy typically announces their schedules in March IIRC, but maybe they had to give advanced notice on this one since it is earlier in the year. Hope that's the case!
0 x
Eric P.

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:19 am

Official Yuma Airshow Commemorative Box.

On sale this Friday, February 7th, 2020.

Includes:
-Commemorative Box Exclusive T-Shirt
-2020 Patch
-2020 Pin
-2020 Mug
-5 Commemorative Box Exclusive Vintage Photo Prints from Yuma Airshow's past
-Stickers

More information to come!
https://www.facebook.com/Yumaairshow/ph ... &__tn__=-R
1 x

yumaairshow

Post by yumaairshow » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 pm

EricP wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 am Per the ICAS Calendar, it lists the F/A-18F Super Hornet TAC Demo team as a performer. I believe the Navy typically announces their schedules in March IIRC, but maybe they had to give advanced notice on this one since it is earlier in the year. Hope that's the case!
Hi Eric!

Official Yuma Airshow Marketing team here, and we are still waiting on the official list from the F/A-18F Super Hornet TAC Demo as an official performer. We will definitely be posting more information about them as soon as we find out (hopefully soon!)

Please let us know if you have any questions.

-Corrina, Yuma Airshow Marketing Team
[email protected]
3 x
Yuma Airshow
March 13th 2021
YumaAirshow.com

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 pm

yumaairshow wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 pm
Hi Eric!

Official Yuma Airshow Marketing team here, and we are still waiting on the official list from the F/A-18F Super Hornet TAC Demo as an official performer. We will definitely be posting more information about them as soon as we find out (hopefully soon!)

[email protected]
If you guys get the Super Hornet, you got me on board for sure 8-)

Can you confirm CAF warbird attendance Corrina?
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:03 am

yumaairshow wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 pm
EricP wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 am Per the ICAS Calendar, it lists the F/A-18F Super Hornet TAC Demo team as a performer. I believe the Navy typically announces their schedules in March IIRC, but maybe they had to give advanced notice on this one since it is earlier in the year. Hope that's the case!
Hi Eric!

[email protected]
Thank you Corrina for commenting and providing an update on the status! I'll be attending the show for the first time this year. Can't wait!
0 x
Eric P.

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”