Shuttleworth Collection Airshows 2020

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Flightline Uk

Shuttleworth Collection Airshows 2020

Post by Flightline Uk » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 am

The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden Aerodrome have released provisional details of their 2020 display season.

Sunday 3rd May – Season Premiere (VE Day)
Saturday 16th May – Evening Airshow (Spies & Intrigue)
Sunday 7th June – Flying Festival
Saturday 20th June – Evening Airshow (Biggles)
Sunday 5th July – Military Airshow
Saturday 18th July – Evening Airshow (Richard Shuttleworth Garden Party, with the LAA)
Sunday 2nd August – Family Airshow (At the movies)
Sunday 6th September – Vintage Airshow (Clayton & Shuttleworth Showcase)
Sunday 4th October – Race Day

http://www.shuttleworth.org
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am

First few aircraft confirmed for the VE-Day Season Premiere:
COLLECTION (& OLD WARDEN BASED) AIRCRAFT

Hurricanes: Hawker Hurricane (G-HITT), Sea Hurricane 1b
Biplane Trainers: DH82a Tiger Moth, Blackburn B2
Monoplane Trainers: Piston Provost, DH Chipmunk
Spitfires: AR501
Magisters: Miles Magisters x 2
Special Ops: Westland Lysander, Polikarpov PO2
Glider: English Electric Wren
Edwardians: Blériot, Deperdussin, Blackburn Monoplane, Bristol Boxkite, Avro Triplane*
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 pm

Had a last-minute chance to try out the Magnificent Musical Flying Display drive-in event today (the rebranded Shuttleworth Flying Proms). Virtually a non-event, sadly, with a circa-200ft cloud base and poor visbility. I felt very sorry for those who'd paid the rather extortionate £120 fee for a car pass and not seen anything - the only flying I saw was a Piper Cub doing a weather check, I assume the fireworks are still on but I didn't feel like hanging around. I'm told the English Eletric Wren made a few hops down the runway but I didn't actually see this, although I'm sure it would have been visible from most of the public areas. Communication seemed quite poor, most aircraft were pulled from the line up over two hours before the start of the show but comments I've seen on social media suggest that the crowd was largely left to work out for themselves that nothing would be flying as successive slot times came and went unfilled. Not a totally wasted day though, it was nice to see the drive-in concept in action (my first time seeing it in the flesh) and I really see how it could work at OW. Plus, there's still some novelty to simply talking and thinking airshows after losing the first half of the season, I'd missed the camaraderie and it was great to be back.
Last edited by Adam on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am

While the 'Racing Celebration' Drive In airshow will be going ahead this Sunday, the Season Finale Drive-In Airshow schedule for 18th October has now been cancelled.

https://www.shuttleworth.org/events/airshows/
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:43 am

New drive-in event added for Nov 7th - Fireworks Night with a flying display by Mark Jefferies. Strange to have a new event added within a couple of days of the Season Finale Airshow being cancelled.

https://www.shuttleworth.org/events/fir ... c-display/
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:00 am

And its already sold out so possibly a very small crowd compared to the airshows. Fingers crossed they get the weather for the one flying display but UK weather in November is not often cooperative for flying events.

I suspect a combination of the poor weather forecast for the rest of October (its not unusual for the aerodrome to get a little too soggy for operations - there have been May and October shows lost or seriously affected in the past) and the threat of tightening restrictions may have meant the Season Finale was just a risk too far for the trustees.
1 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Yes... cue memories of The Gliding Centre's Bonfire Night air display last year. Cars getting bogged down in the mud, 8 hours of pyro prep in the cold, wind and rain, and then only half a show due to low cloud base. TGC also have a short strip of hard runway, without which I'm not certain there'd have been any flying at all. Having said that, the same event was excellent (if a bit windy) the year before, dry enough to use the grass runway, and very popular with the local community - so it can definitely work if the weather plays ball.

I think you must be right about attendence. I don't recall seeing any real publicity for this event, and I hadn't heard of it at all until yesterday. So unless it's existed for a while and escaped my notice, it's sold out pretty damn fast. The Collection did say yesterday that they're looking to increase capacity and put more tickets on sale, which suggests they're not using the whole site as it stands. Surprisingly, though, there are more people currently marked as "going" on Facebook than for this Sunday's airshow, for which tickets are still on sale. It's not an event I'd be particularly interested in, with just a single flying act, but it probably holds greater appeal to the general public than a traditional airshow, and any chance to put an air display in front of a family audience is something well worth getting behind.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Tomorrow's show cancelled due to weather: paddocks and taxiways are "sodden" and wind likely to put a stop to much of the flying.

https://twitter.com/Shuttleworth_OW/sta ... 5437316097
https://twitter.com/Shuttleworth_OW/sta ... 6670453760
Last edited by Adam on Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”