Waterloo Warbirds Airshow (POSTPONED INDEFINITELY)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Waterloo Warbirds Airshow (POSTPONED INDEFINITELY)

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Waterloo Warbirds Airshow
Waterloo Regional Airport
Waterloo, Ontario
June 27-28

https://waterloowarbirds.com/airshow/

Performers:

RCAF Snowbirds
CF-18 Hornet Demo Team
Waterloo Warbirds
Last edited by RyanS on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Waterloo Warbirds announced their show on facebook. A website will be coming in the next week or so.

https://www.facebook.com/59774121702553 ... 316400215/
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 pm

0 x
Dan Gagnon

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 am

Really scratching my head on this one. The only actual performances are Friday and Saturday nights, with adult-only tickets going for $125 each. There is a family-oriented day on Saturday afternoon but it's only ground displays. Then Sunday the performers are going to apparently just fly around the area?

It's certainly innovative, but I'm not sure how much support there is for a high cost 'boutique event' two nights in a row. You're going to lose the interest of regular airshow fans because the lineup is far from compelling enough for $125 tickets and you're turning away any families with kids from the actual main event. I'm surprised that the military is supporting the event as much as they are, since their primary objective is usually reaching out to potential recruits who are unlikely to be found in 19+ year old with the surplus cash to buy tickets. I guess they'll have their time to interact on Saturday but still.

I'll be watching this one out of sheer curiousity. If they have any interest in media (doubtful) I may give it a shot. Night shows are certainly my favorite and I'd love two chances to shoot one!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 am

RyanS wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 am Really scratching my head on this one. The only actual performances are Friday and Saturday nights, with adult-only tickets going for $125 each. There is a family-oriented day on Saturday afternoon but it's only ground displays. Then Sunday the performers are going to apparently just fly around the area?

It's certainly innovative, but I'm not sure how much support there is for a high cost 'boutique event' two nights in a row. You're going to lose the interest of regular airshow fans because the lineup is far from compelling enough for $125 tickets and you're turning away any families with kids from the actual main event. I'm surprised that the military is supporting the event as much as they are, since their primary objective is usually reaching out to potential recruits who are unlikely to be found in 19+ year old with the surplus cash to buy tickets. I guess they'll have their time to interact on Saturday but still.

I'll be watching this one out of sheer curiousity. If they have any interest in media (doubtful) I may give it a shot. Night shows are certainly my favorite and I'd love two chances to shoot one!
I agree Ryan. I actually feel bad for St. Thomas. They didn't get one RCAF demo asset, and those assets are going to an "adult boutique event". While the night shows sound cool. It's not worth the $125 ticket (even though you get a dinner"

Never thought I'd have to wear dress shoes for an airshow lol
0 x
Dan Gagnon

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:00 am

Canadian Warplane Heritage did something similar to this during Flyfest the year I went. The day event was capped at a certain number of tickets and you could gain access to the museum and some static displays. There were also aircraft offering flight experiences during the day. If you wanted to see an airshow, you had to come back and pay an absurd amount for dinner and a twilight airshow. I just went to the event during the day and watched the twilight show for free from a bar near the end of the runway. They also offered an evening airshow for like $125 or something like that either that summer or the one after, but I don't believe they've tried anything like that since.

Given what people will pay for photo pits, club seating, etc. combined with the opportunity to shoot aircraft in the air near sunset, I can sort of see their logic and the appeal for the hardcore enthusiast. You can probably get a similar experience at Brantford in September for free, although that is on a weeknight. It will be interesting to see if they draw enough enthusiasts to make it worth it. I highly doubt the average member of the community is going to pay that much. I wish them the best though. Maybe it will work out really well for them.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Facebook post from the old Waterloo Airshow page:
WATERLOO AIR SHOW ANNOUNCEMENT:

There is confusion building regarding the upcoming air show taking place in Waterloo, ON this summer. The organizing team of the Waterloo Air Show is not the organizing group of this summer's show. Waterloo Air Show ended 6 years ago and remains dormant.

A brand new team is spearheading this year's event. The 6 years since the original show closed down has brought many changes to the parameters of what is now permitted at the airport.

These changes help accommodate public events that offer aviation experiences that are sustainable year over year and also work in harmony with the growth of the airport.

Waterloo Warbirds has stepped forward to take up the challenge of bringing an aviation event back to the region.

In speaking with the new organizing group, it has become evident that the 2 Facebook pages are creating confusion amongst both groups of followers - something none of us want for you.

Given that the WATERLOO AIR SHOW no longer exists, this Facebook page will be shut down as of 0900 Wednesday, February 12, 2020.

As with most things, time and change leave their imprint. We would like to thank you all again for following us here, and invite you to head to Waterloo Warbirds for first hand, direct information on their show and weekend of activities as they unfold over the next few months.

Blue Skies
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:00 am Canadian Warplane Heritage did something similar to this during Flyfest the year I went. The day event was capped at a certain number of tickets and you could gain access to the museum and some static displays. There were also aircraft offering flight experiences during the day. If you wanted to see an airshow, you had to come back and pay an absurd amount for dinner and a twilight airshow. I just went to the event during the day and watched the twilight show for free from a bar near the end of the runway. They also offered an evening airshow for like $125 or something like that either that summer or the one after, but I don't believe they've tried anything like that since.

Given what people will pay for photo pits, club seating, etc. combined with the opportunity to shoot aircraft in the air near sunset, I can sort of see their logic and the appeal for the hardcore enthusiast. You can probably get a similar experience at Brantford in September for free, although that is on a weeknight. It will be interesting to see if they draw enough enthusiasts to make it worth it. I highly doubt the average member of the community is going to pay that much. I wish them the best though. Maybe it will work out really well for them.
This ties in with a larger industry discussion about what is a fair ticket price for airshows. Some organizers are quick to compare an airshow to a major sports game or concert and argue that airshows are drastically undervalued by charging ~$20 each. They feel ticket prices should increase dramatically.

I’ve long been curious about the break even point between increasing ticket prices but driving down attendance. It seems like an ‘all VIP’ show could potentially work, and I was very interested to see what happened when CWHM announced that limited show. It feels like many of the most annoying issues with airshows (traffic, seating, long lines) can be solved by simply charging more until the attendance comes down to a number that is more easily handled. Less crowds means everyone who goes has a better time, in theory.

On the flip side, one of the main counter arguments is that the military support that shows rely on has a mission of reaching as many people as possible. The teams will give certain priority to larger events simply because they reach more people. Limiting a show that might reach 50,000 to just 5,000 dramatically cuts down on their effectiveness. This is probably a little less of an issue in Canada because shows tend to be smaller anyway, but still relevant. They also want to specifically reach young people who may join the military (this is a big issue in Canada which has had recruitment and retention problems lately I believe) and by pricing families out you really hurt their ability to do that. A country club airshow would seem to have minimal benefit for the military performers.

I do agree that some people will pay decent money for a good photo pit. At first I only saw the options for the cocktails and dinner lounge and assumed that they really weren’t catering to photographers at all – who wants some old guy with a big lens standing at the fence in the middle of a swanky party atmosphere? However I see now that there are actually multiple ticket options, one of which is the “Hot Shoe Zone” which is for photographers and includes a spot on the bleachers. I can see that working for some hardcore photogs, but it’s $150 $197 per day with fees!! That’s $197 (CAD) for a few hours of shooting mostly the same acts that you can see at many other shows. This isn’t a once in a lifetime warbird gathering like GML, it’s just the Snowbirds, CF-18, a few vintage jets, the Harvards, and probably a civilian or two. All of those are great on their own, but $197 is really steep.

It gets even worse if you want to buy the ‘3 day bundle’; there is no discount on daily rates. It includes access for ‘Sunday departures’ at the same full $197 price as the airshow itself. $591 total!!!!
The 6 years since the original show closed down has brought many changes to the parameters of what is now permitted at the airport. 
This part of the old page’s post does add a bit of clarity – the airport may just not be willing to support a full crowd anymore and this all-VIP thing may be the only way to have an event. If that’s true, at least they’re trying. I’ll continue watching with interest.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm

The show website is now advertising a discounted hotshoe zone bundle or a single ticket for Friday or Saturday, no Sunday option:

https://waterloowarbirds.ticketwindow.ca/

Bundle Package: Friday Show | Saturday Show + Sunday, June 28th Photo Shoot*
Hot Ramp Photo Shoot Access
Hot Shoe Zone - Departures Photo Shot Access

$275 per person | 2 Shows and Sunday Access (BUNDLE)

SHOW TICKET INCLUDES: Bleacher Seating and light meal and a 3 slot air show of evening, twilight and night perfomers plus fireworks display.
Sunday Access*: Food and beverage will not be provided on Sunday.
No hard coolers permitted on site. Bags will be searched.

However, the checkout window for the bundle displays 3 daily tickets for a total of 591 dollars. I'm guessing the airshow website has been updated, but the ticket provider has not updated their system.
If that's the case, 275 + service fee + tax is still over 300 dollars, but the average daily cost is not out of line for a typical photo pit ticket.

Is the bundle worth it? Although it's tempting(two twilight shows, and all day access on Sunday), I'll probably pass on this one. Limited funds, and other shows to see. If this were the only show I was attending, maybe.
1 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 am

Nathan Hammond [GhostWriter Airshows] will be on hand at Waterloo with his Super Chipmunk performance.
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”