Noshkosh - Kokomo, IN

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Noshkosh - Kokomo, IN

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:25 pm

I lucked into hearing about this fly-in at Kokomo Municipal Airport (OKK) in Kokomo, IN last Friday. This was apparently part of a week long series of events organized by several central Indiana EAA chapters and aviation organizations. I played hooky from work and was able to hang out at the FBO for a couple hours at various points throughout the day. Being familiar with the airport and area helped because I knew I'd at least have an unobstructed view of the ramp and runway, and could do other things in the area if I got bored.

Highlights include the Tom Wood Aviation P-51D, several other warbirds and some interesting civilian and classic types. I didn't get too many good photos because of the vantage point from the FBO, but it's better than nothing and just being able to see something like this was worth the short drive. I at least got to see one more P-51 than I thought I'd be seeing this year, including a nice fly-by. :D

There are a few more small EAA chapter and small airport fly-ins that are still scheduled for central Indiana and may yet take place, obviously pending coronavirus restrictions. Hoping for another day or two at an airport at some point.

Some warbirds.

ImageIMG_9494 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9553 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9586 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9590 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9606 by , on Flickr
Last edited by kalamazookid on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Few more.

ImageIMG_9532 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9566 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9581 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9518 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9652 by , on Flickr
1 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 pm

Interesting to see many that were there but never made it down to Terre Haute! Didn't realize this was going on. I passed through Kokomo on Thursday on my way south
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:06 am

RyanS wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 pm Interesting to see many that were there but never made it down to Terre Haute! Didn't realize this was going on. I passed through Kokomo on Thursday on my way south
I didn't find out about this until Thursday evening when I happened to see a post about it from Warbird Training Center, which is located at OKK. There were apparently events at several other airports earlier in the week.

I was really surprised by the number and variety of aircraft that came in. My expectations were to spend maybe an hour or so hanging out and then head for home. Most of the warbirds are local. There was also a Stearman, L-5, another Yak/CJ and another T-34 in addition to the T-6 based at the airport. I've seen the Yak/CJs around the area before, but neither of the T-34s were familiar.

I thought about going down to Terre Haute, but I just wasn't as familiar with the airport and I couldn't glean much from the airport website and Google Maps. I don't typically spot so I'm not sure what is considered acceptable for hanging around a larger-sized airport like that. I didn't really want to drive two hours just to get chased off for loitering or something.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:50 am

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:06 am
RyanS wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 pm Interesting to see many that were there but never made it down to Terre Haute! Didn't realize this was going on. I passed through Kokomo on Thursday on my way south
I didn't find out about this until Thursday evening when I happened to see a post about it from Warbird Training Center, which is located at OKK. There were apparently events at several other airports earlier in the week.

I was really surprised by the number and variety of aircraft that came in. My expectations were to spend maybe an hour or so hanging out and then head for home. Most of the warbirds are local. There was also a Stearman, L-5, another Yak/CJ and another T-34 in addition to the T-6 based at the airport. I've seen the Yak/CJs around the area before, but neither of the T-34s were familiar.

I thought about going down to Terre Haute, but I just wasn't as familiar with the airport and I couldn't glean much from the airport website and Google Maps. I don't typically spot so I'm not sure what is considered acceptable for hanging around a larger-sized airport like that. I didn't really want to drive two hours just to get chased off for loitering or something.
Yeah I hear you. Turns out you probably would have been fine, there were a number of people hanging out just behind the chain link fence on the edge of the ramp and I don't think any were run off. But it would have been a gamble not knowing that ahead of time! Glad you got to something at least
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”