EAA Air Venture Oshkosh 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Airshowlover811

Post by Airshowlover811 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:54 am

FlyRed wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:49 am Is Thursday always 'warbird day' at Oshkosh or does it change each year?
They have warbirds everyday except Sunday airshow wise. Thursday is usually jet Warbird day
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:04 am

Thanks.

I've only been once (2019) and it seemed the Thursday had the greatest emphasis for a warbird showcase, 1.5 hrs I think.

Hoping to be there Wed and Thu this year.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:36 am

FlyRed wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:04 am Thanks.

I've only been once (2019) and it seemed the Thursday had the greatest emphasis for a warbird showcase, 1.5 hrs I think.

In either 2018 or 2019, they had one day go completely off the rails and ended up like 2 hours behind schedule. Even after extending the show by an hour they canceled half the acts. It might have been that day.

Typically there are warbird showcases of about an hour on most days (Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat), with more canned warbird acts like Class of 45 and stuff sprinkled in separately.

We always get frustrated because the warbirds can never meet the schedule given and the coolest stuff always gets cut short so a sponsored aerobatic performer can go for the fifth time in the week.

I have been told that one day this year will be pretty much dedicated to warbirds - I want to say it is Friday - which will hopefully give them enough time to truly feature some of the special stuff!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Airshowlover811

Post by Airshowlover811 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 am

RyanS wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:36 am
FlyRed wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:04 am Thanks.

In either 2018 or 2019, they had one day go completely off the rails and ended up like 2 hours behind schedule. Even after extending the show by an hour they canceled half the acts. It might have been that day.

Typically there are warbird showcases of about an hour on most days (Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat), with more canned warbird acts like Class of 45 and stuff sprinkled in separately.

We always get frustrated because the warbirds can never meet the schedule given and the coolest stuff always gets cut short so a sponsored aerobatic performer can go for the fifth time in the week.

I have been told that one day this year will be pretty much dedicated to warbirds - I want to say it is Friday - which will hopefully give them enough time to truly feature some of the special stuff!
I believe Friday and Saturday will be that way for the warbirds. They said 1 and a half hour Warbird shows those days
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:19 am

I've been pretty frustrated with the warbird shows the past few years. Part of it is my own fault for only being able to attend early in the week, but some years I have attended the Warbirds of America segments have been really lame. In the "Year of the Fighter" the Warbirds of America portion of the show featured exactly zero fighter aircraft combined from Monday - Wednesday. I get it if they're trying to to do big shows later in the week but they could at least try to do something interesting earlier in the week too. Watching nothing but trainer formations go by at 1,500 feet for three days isn't very interesting.

That said, I've also seen some great warbird efforts. The B-25 show was spectacular and I've seen some great flights involving fighters and mixed aircraft.
I think part of the problem is they try to do too much with the warbird show. I think that if they flew fewer aircraft, lower and in front of the crowd, it would be way easier and more interesting than trying to have so many aircraft flying different patterns at the same time. Do simple better.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:36 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:19 am I think part of the problem is they try to do too much with the warbird show. I think that if they flew fewer aircraft, lower and in front of the crowd, it would be way easier and more interesting than trying to have so many aircraft flying different patterns at the same time. Do simple better.
Totally agree - many times the feature aircraft have to fly down the 2000 foot line while the next feature aircraft are taking off. By the time the takeoffs are done the first group has to go land and the cycle repeats. It's preciously rare to get any passes down the runway. I would much rather they pare it back and give us some better quality. And if they want to focus on something special (the three F-86s that got sent straight to an overhead comes to mind) they had damn well better make that a priority.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

smitty44

Post by smitty44 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:51 pm

This rookie is ready for whatever.... I think. Being that I mostly go to West Coast shows until this year there are a ton of warbirds I look forward to seeing. Lope's Hope (something about B's, C's, Razorbacks, and Birdcages that I adore) and That's All Brother to name just a couple. Never really any Spitfires out here or Hurricanes ever to speak of except at Chino. Can't wait!
0 x

Speedbird2706

Post by Speedbird2706 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:07 am

Hey all,

This will be my first AirVenture so I am just curious what to expect. I was also wondering if anyone had some insight to the A-10 CAS demo and possibly statics and if, since the theme is WWII+1, they would bring the 3 retro A-10s from the ANG. Saw the pictures of the Fort Wayne Heritage bird and have seen pictures of the Boise one, Maryland has one now too but I haven’t seen too many pictures of theirs. Mainly this was speculation on my end, most important is what to expect, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Jordan
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Speedbird2706 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:07 am Hey all,

This will be my first AirVenture so I am just curious what to expect. I was also wondering if anyone had some insight to the A-10 CAS demo and possibly statics and if, since the theme is WWII+1, they would bring the 3 retro A-10s from the ANG. Saw the pictures of the Fort Wayne Heritage bird and have seen pictures of the Boise one, Maryland has one now too but I haven’t seen too many pictures of theirs. Mainly this was speculation on my end, most important is what to expect, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Jordan
The field attack demo they have performed in the past is basically just level flybys from two jets with midfield breaks to turn around, and some pyro. It's not bad but nothing too crazy either

I am sure we are all hoping that the Blacksnakes bring their black A-10, but unless I missed an announcement about the other units coming for static I doubt we'll see them.

As for what to expect: aviation overload! The show grounds are huge and there are always many things going on simultaneously so you will not see everything you'd like to. Study the map and especially the tram routes as they can save your life if you need to go long distances. As of this year, all official parking (unless you are camping) requires a shuttle bus to get to the gate. There are some private lots that are closer if you want to use them.

18-36 is the main runway, where the airshows happen. As you face 18-36, warbirds are to your left, ultralights/light sports are to the right, and vintage is in the middle. The far north and south are called the north 40 (wraps around the end of runway 9-27) and south 40 and these are where the 'regular' GA aircraft can park and set up camp. The center point of the grounds is called Boeing Plaza and this is where the main static displays are parked. The displays are rotated throughout the week. Generally I would suggest sitting south/to the right of the plaza.

The day starts at like 7am and from then until airshow time it is what I call the arrivals period. This is when the airport is open to traffic. There will be a constant stream of GA aircraft to each of the main runways and also lines of aircraft waiting to leave. You never know what will show up; warbirds and military jets are worked into the mix as they arrive. There is also a grass runway toward the south end which has ultralight-type aircraft buzzing around on demo flights.

There aren't fences on the grounds, the show line is marked by a burned line in the grass that is patrolled by volunteers. Don't cross the line or you'll get yelled at. You can lay a chair down to save space as long as it is folded. The seating area is also used for aircraft parking so try not to be in the middle of an alley or you will likely be told to move (or they will move your stuff if you aren't there) when planes need through. I always have people with me and we take turns watching the stuff, but I think leaving a chair (as long as it is folded) is usually ok. The people at Oshkosh are by and large extremely helpful and friendly.

Once the airshow starts it is pretty normal. The airshows usually run from 2pmish to 6pmish. After the show is over the airport opens for another arrivals period until 8pm when it closes. On Wednesday and Saturday, the night show starts at 8pm and runs until 10:30 or 11pm, concluding with a very good fireworks show. Many people set up to shoot the fireworks over static aircraft - if you want to do this try to grab your spot early because it's very competitive. On the other nights, there is the 'twilight flight fest' at the grass ultralight runway which has a STOL competition, powered parachutes, and some other stuff.

There are a variety of food vendors around the grounds and many stay open late to service the campers. There are also free water fountains to fill bottles up during the day. There are four convention halls and some other buildings with lots of sales booths, and a number of forums/presentations every day. I skip all of these in favor of the flying but you can find a schedule if you are interested.

Things I would try to do depending on interest and time: Make sure you wander the warbird parking area. Especially Tues-Weds, the area should have more variety than almost any other show. While you are there, you can sit at the fence near 9-27 and watch arrivals. You get a lot closer to the runway there and the light is great in the morning.

Also consider a trip to the seaplane base. This is located on Lake Winnebago a few miles south of the airport and you can catch a shuttle bus from the show grounds to take you there. It costs I think $3 to get back, so plan for that. The seaplane base is a total change of pace - very treesy and shaded and super relaxed. A number of GA sea planes park in a lagoon just off the main lake and you can get a pontoon boat tour of the area to see them up close.

We have videos to illustrate almost any of this one our channel. Please ask any other questions you have and give me a shout once you're there. We can tell you where we're sitting, help watch stuff, whatever.
Attachments
IMG_8150web.jpg
IMG_8150web.jpg (213.32 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
IMG_3440web.jpg
IMG_3440web.jpg (181.25 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
IMG_2407web.jpg
IMG_2407web.jpg (192.84 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
IMG_2053web.jpg
IMG_2053web.jpg (218 KiB) Viewed 6531 times
Last edited by RyanS on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Here's a fun preview of what's to come.

0 x
Matt

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”