Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:45 pm

The 2021 NAS Pensacola Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show is celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the Blue Angels and is scheduled for November 5-6, 2021!

The Air Show is planned to be open to the public; masks are not currently required for outdoor events. We are continuously monitoring COVID information and guidance from our chain of command, state and local officials and will provide the most up-to-date information as it becomes available.

**Please note that this information is subject to change at any time as we receive guidance/restrictions.**

A few reminders:
* General admission and parking to the Air Show is FREE.
* There will not be a night show this year.
* VIP Tickets are available for purchase at http://event.attendstar.com/…/nas-pensa ... ngels-ho…/
* A complete listing of performers, attractions and prohibited items can be found on our website at www.naspensacolaairshow.com

We hope to see you there!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:55 pm

PNJ is reporting that the Homecoming show will be moved from on base at NAS Pensacola to the beach. It will be the same setup as the mid-summer airshow there.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/military ... ByvI8FvhQw

This is probably the best outcome possible - it was surely not going to happen on base with the numbers Florida is seeing! Better than cancelling it outright.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

MattEv14

Post by MattEv14 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:16 pm

Being that they had a year to prepare for a variety of circumstances related to COVID, I wish Oceana would have shown some imagination and done the same. They aren't in nearly as bad of a place in terms of COVID as Florida yet they took the easy route and chose just to cancel. Sorry, I am still bitter.. Anyways I might try to make this show now. It's easy to sell the wife on the beach shows :D
Last edited by MattEv14 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:46 pm

I'm wondering about other performers, how much of the schedule is being kept. The web site still lists several civilian performers, no other military aircraft, and still includes the Shockwave jet truck, for which I have, um, serious doubts. :lol:

If the July weekend is anything to go by, parking is at a premium, the one bridge from town to the beach backs up for miles (unless, like me, you're coming from the east and can use the Navarre bridge, but that gives you miles and miles of 25 and 35 speed limits,) there is little if any shuttle service, although people will open their yards for parking for at least 20 bucks per vehicle. At least in November it won't be 97 degrees like the July show can be!

I'm also concerned about the sun's location in the sky. At noon it will be almost straight out from the beach, less than 45 degrees off the horizon. At 2PM it will be about 40 degrees off the horizon, about 30 or 35 degrees to the right of straight out. In other words, in your face all afternoon. I'm worried about being able to get usable images... On the other hand, if there's any humidity, you can't beat shooting over the water for vapor!

As for good news, I've gotten my refund for my bleacher tickets...

@Axelskater, if you actually did book a beach condo for that weekend, you are all set!!!
Last edited by wfooshee on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

justinl03

Post by justinl03 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:57 pm

Will the F-35c demo team and Raptor demo team still be performing? I dont see it on their website.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:30 pm

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:41 am

Here are the 2021 Homecoming Air Show performances, as described by SRIA:

11 a.m. - The U.S. Navy Training Air Wing SIX will pass over Pensacola Beach in their T-6A Texan II turboprops and T-45C Goshawk jets to open up the air show. Headquartered in the "Cradle of Naval Aviation" aboard NAS Pensacola, CTW-6 graduates approximately 300 United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Foreign Military Service (FMS) students annually.

11:20 a.m. - A U.S. Coast Guard Air Sea Rescue demonstration will take place over Pensacola Beach from an MH-65D Dolphin medevac helicopter. The SAR aircrew consists of two pilots, one flight mechanic and a rescue swimmer. Depending on the nature of distress, the rescue swimmer deploys via freefall or hoist to provide assistance.

11:40 a.m. - The Veteran’s Flight team, organized by Pensacola attorney and pilot Roy Kinsey, will feature about half a dozen vintage Stearman bi-plane pilots from all over the Southeast flying in the famous World War II-era aircraft.

11:55 a.m. - Airbase Georgia, led by Clint “Richochet” Cottrell, will present a World War II-era American fighter aircraft, the F4U Corsair, as well as a replica Japanese bomber, a Nakajima B5N “Kate,” over the shores of Pensacola Beach. The Corsair and the Kate will recreate, remind and reinforce the lessons learned from the defining moments in American military aviation history.

12:15 p.m. - Solo pilot Rob Holland will push the limits of his single-seat, MXS-RH prop plane to create a visual spectacle like no other over Pensacola Beach.

12:35p.m. - AeroShell Aerobatic Team – consisting of team leader Mark Henley, right-wing pilot Bryan Regan, Steve Gustafson on the left-wing, and slot pilot Jimmy Fordham - will perform a series of loops, rolls, and bomb bursts in close formation in their T-6 Texan aircraft over Pensacola Beach.

12:55 p.m. - Major Joshua "Cabo" Gunderson, with the U.S. Air Force F-22 Demonstration Team, will take to the Pensacola Beach skies to showcase the amazing capabilities of the F-22 Raptor fighter jet that is leading America into the future of aviation technology.

1:15 p.m. - Pilots Ken Rieder and Adam Baker with Redline Aerobatic Team will take to the skies in their signature red and black planes to perform opposing stunts and inverted maneuvers and formations.

1:35 p.m. – Solo pilot Skip Stewart will wow the crowds with his high-skill passes and jaw-dropping maneuvers in his famous red, white and black-checkered bi-plane, Prometheus.

2 p.m. - Look to the Gulf horizon as a famous C-130J aircraft known as Fat Albert arrives over Pensacola Beach, followed by six famous blue and gold F-18 Super Hornets. For the next 50 minutes, spectators will get a glimpse of the U.S. Navy Blue Angels aeronautic maneuvers like the Diamond Dirty Loop, the Double Farvel, the Vertical Pitch, the Fleur-de-Lis, the Opposing Knife-Edge pass, and the crowd-favorite Sneak Pass. These are just a few of the mind-blowing displays of choreographed precision flying the Navy’s flight demonstration team has perfected over the past 75 years.
https://weartv.com/news/local/full-sche ... cola-beach
0 x

wfooshee

Post by wfooshee » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:46 pm

I went to the Friday show, November 5th. Skies were high overcast most of the day, and the sun was indeed right straight ahead of the crowd, both of which combined to make difficult light. Saturday was a clear day but I could not go on that day.

Coast Guard rescue demo

SIX Stearmans doing fly-bys. Eventually. They made three passes, which took about 20 minutes of the show! :D

F-22 demo. This is about as much vapor as I got for him, humidity not what I'd hoped for.

I did get one good POOF as he pulled up from the high-speed flat pass!

Two warbirds, a Kate torpedo bomber and a Mustang

Aeroshell and their Texans, with those loud buzzing props!

F-35C. Both the F-22 and the F-35C were only confirmed for the show during the week prior! BONUS!!

Skip Stewart and his Pitt. Rob Holland was there earlier, but I got no pictures, as I was on a food search when he flew. Still pictures don't do justice to the stupid-impossible things he does with an airplane, anyway! This pass by Skip is knife-edge and very low.

So low, that he had to climb over the pier when he passed it!

My first look at the new Fat Albert

And the Blues!

Did I mention the sun was right there in our face?

One up one down

Two up two down

#5 sneak pass, with a wake on the water!

Passing directly ahead. If you look carefully where the vapor cone is at the water, you can actually see the shock wave distorting the water beyond. Also a very cool vapor vortex right under the fuselage.

Here's that section of the image blown up:

Pulling up to clear the pier, still leaving a wake.

And another shot showing those under-fuselage vortices

Of course, #6 follows just as everyone recovers from the shock of #5

Got a lucky POOF here, too!

I got 4 or 5 crossover shots

Did I mention the sun in our faces???

Weather trying to clear up

I love this maneuver! The solos rolling towards each other but kicking in some rudder to not actually approach, as the diamond pilots separate.
Last edited by wfooshee on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”