MCAS Miramar Air Show 2021 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

MCAS Miramar Air Show 2021 (CANCELLED)

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:53 am

MCAS Miramar Air Show 2021
September 25th and 26th
MCAS Miramar
San Diego, California
http://www.miramarairshow.com/

Featuring
- US Navy Blue Angels
- US Army Golden Knights
- USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
- USMC MAGTF Demo
- John Collver [SNJ Texan]
- Vicky Benzing [PT-17 Stearman]
- Aftershock Jet Fire Truck
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu May 06, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:59 am

Marine Air Corps Station Miramar will release their program & schedule in June
*Note that the source is outdated*
https://www.miramarairshow.com/air-show-schedule-2019/
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:06 am

Bringing the heat to MCAS Miramar this September will be the Aftershock Jet Fire Truck.
https://www.shockwavejettruck.com/index.php/schedule
0 x

SethM617

Post by SethM617 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi! I'm new here and just registered. As a San Diegan, I've been going to the MCAS Miramar Air Show every year of my life! Same can be said about the former Wings Over Gillespie/AirShow San Diego that was held at Gillespie Field until 2015.

After a grueling 2020, I'm double excited for Miramar to bring back the one-of-a kind air show in September and am hoping hard for pandemic vaccination progress by the beginning of summer.

Kind of a bummer that Miramar will have Aftershock again, since they normally have Shockwave. Shockwave's afterburner pops are a lot more powerful and the truck looks like it goes faster. Hoping Mark Smith can improve the afterburners and speed on Aftershock.

Hope for several new performers this year. It'd be cool if they had the CAF SoCal Wing's MiG-17 doing aerobatics and then racing Aftershock! That's the former Red Bull MiG-17 that was flown by the late Bill Reesman and he would race Shockwave every year at Miramar in the late 2000's.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:45 pm

SethM617 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:00 pm Hi! I'm new here and just registered. As a San Diegan, I've been going to the MCAS Miramar Air Show every year of my life! Same can be said about the former Wings Over Gillespie/AirShow San Diego that was held at Gillespie Field until 2015.

After a grueling 2020, I'm double excited for Miramar to bring back the one-of-a kind air show in September and am hoping hard for pandemic vaccination progress by the beginning of summer.

Kind of a bummer that Miramar will have Aftershock again, since they normally have Shockwave. Shockwave's afterburner pops are a lot more powerful and the truck looks like it goes faster. Hoping Mark Smith can improve the afterburners and speed on Aftershock.

Hope for several new performers this year. It'd be cool if they had the CAF SoCal Wing's MiG-17 doing aerobatics and then racing Aftershock! That's the former Red Bull MiG-17 that was flown by the late Bill Reesman and he would race Shockwave every year at Miramar in the late 2000's.
Welcome! Some friends and I are hoping to make Miramar after a few years of nearly making it. I haven't seen Aftershock yet so I'll be happy with either, but we're going for the MAGTF either way!

What colors is that MiG in now? I didn't know that's where it ended up
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:56 pm

RyanS wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:45 pm
SethM617 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:00 pm Hi! I'm new here and just registered. As a San Diegan, I've been going to the MCAS Miramar Air Show every year of my life! Same can be said about the former Wings Over Gillespie/AirShow San Diego that was held at Gillespie Field until 2015.

Welcome! Some friends and I are hoping to make Miramar after a few years of nearly making it. I haven't seen Aftershock yet so I'll be happy with either, but we're going for the MAGTF either way!

What colors is that MiG in now? I didn't know that's where it ended up
The MiG-17 still has the same colors it had when the late Bill Reesman flew it. The only exception is that the MiG no longer has the words Red Bull on it, nor the Red Bull logo which was on the nose.
https://www.cafsocal.com/ngg_tag/mig17/
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

SethM617

Post by SethM617 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Same colors and smoke trails as before except without the Red Bull logo. Jason Somes now flies it along with the Bearcat, Mk.14 Spitfire, and other fighters of the CAF SoCal Wing.

You can never go wrong with the MAGTF Demo! Best part of the show and is something you rarely see anywhere else. Some might say it wouldn't be a Miramar air show without the Blue Angels, but I'd argue it wouldn't be a Marine Corps air show without the MAGTF. After all, the Marines put the M in there! That demo used to scare me when I was around 4 & 5 because of the pyrotechnics. I didn't like the sudden booms and feeling the heat from the wall of fire. Understandably, for a little kid the sensory and loud jets can be too much. But of course now, that's the part I look forward to every year!
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 pm

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:06 am Bringing the heat to MCAS Miramar this September will be the Aftershock Jet Fire Truck.
https://www.shockwavejettruck.com/index.php/schedule
Ultimately after viewing the Aftershock and Flash Fire Jet Trucks, it just appears to be "Flash Fire" returning again, on the other hand "Shockwave" will be up in Sacramento that same weekend. If you look on the right of the scheduled show it has image visually representing "Shockwave" and "Flash Fire". So it appears Miramar is not having "Shockwave" for this year, just "Flash Fire", but again things could take a different direction (likewise not the reality of it).
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Hi Seth, welcome, I definitely agree with you, for the past years, I have been kinda thinking if a SoCal Mig-17 could stop by, and I hoped for it to come at the time when Miramar had the twilight shows back then, would have been actually a pretty good afterburner display the jet could put on, but then now to come to thought I that actually seems really interesting to see sub-sonic jet race a Jet Truck that could go approximately 376 miles per hour (MPH). I've must have missed out a lot back then, but I never discovered Miramar until 2010. I remembered when they had a pretty good line-up the F-22 Demo Team, F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Demo, and the Canadian Snowbirds. It was definitely one of my favorite shows I could say for sure.
0 x

SethM617

Post by SethM617 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 am

Nick wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm Hi Seth, welcome, I definitely agree with you, for the past years, I have been kinda thinking if a SoCal Mig-17 could stop by, and I hoped for it to come at the time when Miramar had the twilight shows back then, would have been actually a pretty good afterburner display the jet could put on, but then now to come to thought I that actually seems really interesting to see sub-sonic jet race a Jet Truck that could go approximately 376 miles per hour (MPH). I've must have missed out a lot back then, but I never discovered Miramar until 2010. I remembered when they had a pretty good line-up the F-22 Demo Team, F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Demo, and the Canadian Snowbirds. It was definitely one of my favorite shows I could say for sure.
Definitely agree with everything you said about the MiG and jet truck race. Bill Reesman performed the "MiG Meteor" pyro aerobatic act, but I never saw that in person. The only Twilight Show I went to was what ended up being the last one in 2015. I remember the lineups every year starting from 2007 and I was only a little kid back then! Guess that's possible with a collection of air show magazine programs, the internet, and memory. 2010 was when Bill Reesman stopped coming and he passed away around that time :cry:

I've been pretty impressed and satisfied with the lineups of most years. 2010 was like a combination of 2008 & 2009. 2011 had lots of warbirds in the morning to celebrate the Naval Aviation Centennial. 2012 was great! Was so bummed at the last minute cancellation in 2013 even though there were only going to be civilian performers. 2014 was entertaining but not the best. I cut them slack because they were probably just recovering from the sequester. 2015, '16, & '17 were almost exactly the same and I wasn't very impressed by that. Although I did enjoy the rare opportunity to see the Breitling Jet Team. 2018 & 2019 really picked things up and brought new rare performances like the U-2 and the Red Arrows! The Miramar base officials said they'll make this year better than ever and I look forward to seeing the schedule update in June!
Last edited by SethM617 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”