MCAS Miramar Air Show 2021 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm

SethM617 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 am Definitely agree with everything you said about the MiG and jet truck race. Bill Reesman performed the "MiG Meteor" pyro aerobatic act, but I never saw that in person. The only Twilight Show I went to was what ended up being the last one in 2015. I remember the lineups every year starting from 2007 and I was only a little kid back then! Guess that's possible with a collection of air show magazine programs, the internet, and memory. 2010 was when Bill Reesman stopped coming and he passed away around that time :cry:

I've been pretty impressed and satisfied with the lineups of most years. 2010 was like a combination of 2008 & 2009. 2011 had lots of warbirds in the morning to celebrate the Naval Aviation Centennial. 2012 was great! Was so bummed at the last-minute cancellation in 2013 even though there were only going to be civilian performers. 2014 was entertaining but not the best. I cut them slack because they were probably just recovering from the sequester. 2015, '16, & '17 were almost exactly the same and I wasn't very impressed by that. Although I did enjoy the rare opportunity to see the Breitling Jet Team. 2018 & 2019 really picked things up and brought new rare performances like the U-2 and the Red Arrows! The Miramar base officials said they'll make this year better than ever and I look forward to seeing the schedule update in June!
2013, was mainly a disappointment to me, but it was all due to the U.S Government shut down, which cause a lot of Military based airshows to cancel their events. But in which case, I definitely miss the Twilight show, everytime I think of Miramar, I get this constant and repeated cycle, When is the twilight show coming back, and why is there none? My guess is the base probably on a tight-knit budget right now, however, I was clueless when the officials decided to halt the twilight, even when it was one of the significant factors that made the show one of the best, if not the best show around. But hopefully, sometime around they could possibly spring back up the twilight shows, and boy, did I miss seeing the Wall of Fire that the base put off every year when they hosted a twilight show.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SethM617

Post by SethM617 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:38 pm

Nick wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm 2013, was mainly a disappointment to me, but it was all due to the U.S Government shut down, which cause a lot of Military based airshows to cancel their events. But in which case, I definitely miss the Twilight show, everytime I think of Miramar, I get this constant and repeated cycle, When is the twilight show coming back, and why is there none? My guess is the base probably on a tight-knit budget right now, however, I was clueless when the officials decided to halt the twilight, even when it was one of the significant factors that made the show one of the best, if not the best show around. But hopefully, sometime around they could possibly spring back up the twilight shows, and boy, did I miss seeing the Wall of Fire that the base put off every year when they hosted a twilight show.
I miss the Twilight Show too! Even though I only went to one of them. I loved how they ended with the Great Wall of Fire and it was a little bit longer sized. At least they still do a Wall Of Fire at the end of the MAGTF Demo. I unfortunately doubt the Twilight Show will come back. When they stopped doing it in 2016, I saw on the FAQs and the reply was that public safety was their top priority. That was the same year they started the Clear Bag/ID/Metal Wand entrance policies. So I'm guessing the night show cut had to do with that. After all, it would be difficult to see clear bags and IDs at night.
0 x

smitty44

Post by smitty44 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Miramar is the best. I still travel there almost every year after moving away a number of years ago. El Toro was my favorite though, ever. Fighter row and the copius amount of statics is a huge plus. Night show was too. Fingers crossed for this year.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:36 pm

smitty44 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm Miramar is the best. I still travel there almost every year after moving away a number of years ago. El Toro was my favorite though, ever. Fighter row and the copius amount of statics is a huge plus. Night show was too. Fingers crossed for this year.
For El Toro, I was never given into this Earth (defining i wasn't born yet) but my mother use to tell how shee and her group of friends went out there for fun back in the late 80s and early 90s just to see what it was all about since thats what it was believed to be, the curiosity of fun-ish things back then. I really don't get 80s people nowadays. But if they had a fighter row I would honestly be impressed, consisting of various fighters that would be the detention of photographing static displays for myself. Now for Miramar, I am not trying to be demanding or like having a high expectation, but I think that Miramar could possibly start upping their airshow planning slightly meaning that they should try to see if they can get perfmers like the Navy TACDEMO teams like in the past, every now and then depending on the budget, should host an international performer, varying on the foreign team(s) schedule plans and so forth and how that process works, an example of that would be the return of the Candian Forces Snowbirds or the Brazil Smoke Squadron from which i heard was a rumor last year, but either way I don't focus on that type of attraction, and plus because of COVID and as a safety precaution they canceled their show again, of course, this disappointed me and every other airshow enthusiast, but they knew with all the fear and concerns spreading around they couldn't really get this off the ground as the offical organizers intended to. But bottom line is, Miramar sometime in the future should start springing up their game, one venue they should bring back is the twilight show, which really gave Saturday the full-ride experience of a lifetime, in aviation terms. So, whenever they have the budget to do so, thats the direction they need to head in, the twilight show again like mentioned numerous times previously, attracts a lot of the nearby residents and other out-state/out of city ones too, and this would denfentily benefit Miramar in the long run because the amount of support they will be receiving from the audience. I've have talk to a few in the past, they said if Miramar brings the twilight show (Saturday Only) bac, then they said they'll definitely be one of the first spectators their at the event. It's not just the Blue Angels that attracts everyone else ;)
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 pm

Sad news from San Diego. :(
JUST IN: The Miramar Air Show -- the largest of its kind in the world, according to officials -- has been grounded for 2021.

Organizers said, "there are still a great many risks involved" with hosting the September event due to COVID-19. http://on.nbc7.com/pDSvJt7
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Damn, I was hoping to finally go to Miramar but it was also the show I figured was most likely to cancel due to being on a base. We had planned to tie it in with Reno but thankfully Sacramento will be a good substitute the same weekend as long as it goes ahead.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 pm

Wow, I had my fingers crossed for September being fine, but it looks that’s still too soon. I’m guessing Oceana won’t be happening either.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 pm

awal2049 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 pm Wow, I had my fingers crossed for September being fine, but it looks that’s still too soon. I’m guessing Oceana won’t be happening either.
You may be right about that.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm

Pretty bummed by the decison, but to be frank it was in a way, somewhat expected, but hope for best as always as far I as can speak on San Deigo's behalf. Im also really bummed since that would've been my Senoir year, one last chance to the show in my youth years, it turns out I'll have to go whenever I have the time, defining that I cant even guarantee of attending the 2022 show.
0 x

smitty44

Post by smitty44 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:58 am

This is my go to show so it is such a bummer we will have to wait another year. Though they don't fly demos there anymore, I am always concerned I will miss the last chance to see a Harrier there. I can remember when they first had the "A" at El Toro. Any ways, I must say I am wondering about the future of all the shows on actual military installations. I know they would practice a lot of caution, but what C.O wants to bring 150,000 civilians on board with the bug still around. Miramar is the best.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”