2021 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:42 pm This is the best place I can think to post this: anyone else in the Vancouver area spot the Snowbirds flying in formation with a CF-18 this afternoon? I was driving home when I heard a very familiar noise, and they flew right overhead while I was crossing the Burrard Bridge.

Just curious who else may have seen this (it was fantastic to see the Snowbirds in the air again!) and if anyone knows if there was a particular reason for the flyby?
Edit: just read that this was, in fact, for Operation Inspiration.
It is a continuation of Operation Inspiration from last year, a tribute and salute to the Health Care workers and other frontline workers during the pandemic. The flyby was done past major hospitals in the Lower Mainland and Metro Vancouver area. They will be heading to Victoria tomorrow. Was cool to see the CF-18 Demo Team jet flying in formation with them, a nice little teaser before the upcoming show.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/07/16 ... hite-rock/
1 x

swuz9080

Post by swuz9080 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Bingofuel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 pm
lukas97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm The Super hornet will now perform in all 4 shows, so that is awesome! The more afterburner demos in that golden light the better!

Is there any chance that aircraft will stage out of Abbotsford if the borders open up before the show? It may be too close to the show to change anything, but I'm curious what others think?

Also, will civilian performers like Jeff Boerboon (Yak 110) also launch from the US? Or will he arrive 2 weeks prior to the show and quarantine?

Finally, it would be great to get some extra USAF assets to perform flybys in between some acts. I love the tease from AIAS hinting that they are still working away at adding a few things. We've got the cake! I'm just hoping for another cherry (or two or three) on top!
As far as I know the US assets won't be in Abbotsford. Military most likely outta Whidbey Island, and the civilian performers in either Bellingham or Skagit (since the HFMuseum is there).

The issue is that all the hotels and logistics of getting performers all the things they need is too much to last-minute shift it all to Canada IF they open the borders just before the show.

Who knows honestly, but I'll be happy either way
Does this mean we won't be getting any of the typical flight narration and music with the demos? Noticed this with the London show last year.

Just bought tickets in the green zone. Worried we won't get the full experience that far out.

Thanks - New here.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:06 pm

Does this mean we won't be getting any of the typical flight narration and music with the demos? Noticed this with the London show last year.

Just bought tickets in the green zone. Worried we won't get the full experience that far out.

Thanks - New here.
I believe there's going to be a radio station you can tune into to get the narration and music.
2 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:38 pm

CC-150 Polaris / CF-18 Hornet refuelling demonstration added to the Saturday afternoon show.

Also should be noted that the fireworks for the two night shows have been scrapped due to the current state of emergency in the province though that is hardly unexpected.

Chris
2 x

Airshow Addict

Post by Airshow Addict » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:43 pm

swuz9080 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:34 pm
Bingofuel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 pm
lukas97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm The Super hornet will now perform in all 4 shows, so that is awesome! The more afterburner demos in that golden light the better!

Is there any chance that aircraft will stage out of Abbotsford if the borders open up before the show? It may be too close to the show to change anything, but I'm curious what others think?

Also, will civilian performers like Jeff Boerboon (Yak 110) also launch from the US? Or will he arrive 2 weeks prior to the show and quarantine?

Finally, it would be great to get some extra USAF assets to perform flybys in between some acts. I love the tease from AIAS hinting that they are still working away at adding a few things. We've got the cake! I'm just hoping for another cherry (or two or three) on top!
As far as I know the US assets won't be in Abbotsford. Military most likely outta Whidbey Island, and the civilian performers in either Bellingham or Skagit (since the HFMuseum is there).

The issue is that all the hotels and logistics of getting performers all the things they need is too much to last-minute shift it all to Canada IF they open the borders just before the show.

Who knows honestly, but I'll be happy either way

Thanks - New here.

You will have a great view still in the green zone
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm

Looks like the only thing that can really put a damper on the show is the weather. With the rain forecasted for the weekend I don’t think my plan of bringing a blanket will be viable. Chairs it is!
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 pm

True enough. Although I don't trust week-out forecasts in BC.

IN 2019 it was supposed to be gorgeous at the beginning of the week and ended up raining almost whole weekend.
1 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:31 pm

It's Airshow weekend....sadly rain is a guarantee. If we want to end the drought we just need to have the Abbotsford Airshow every weekend.
3 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 am

Bingofuel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 pm True enough. Although I don't trust week-out forecasts in BC.

IN 2019 it was supposed to be gorgeous at the beginning of the week and ended up raining almost whole weekend.
At least the Friday evening show was... rocking!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:49 pm

❓WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SKYDRIVE❓
Download the FREE Abbotsford Airshow SkyDrive mobile app - presented by Lockheed Martin - your virtual SkyDrive event guide!
Search for "Abbotsford Airshow" now on the Apple and Android App Stores. 📲
#AbbyAirshow #SkyDrive
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”