2021 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 pm

The CP-140 Aurora will be doing its demo on the Saturday daytime show.
📣PERFORMER ANNOUNCEMENT📣

SATURDAY DAYTIME ONLY!

We have added the Royal Canadian Air Force CP-140 Aurora to our SkyDrive Saturday Daytime performance!

The Aurora is one of the RCAF's most versatile aircraft, used for a variety of mission types including surveillance, anti-submarine warfare, drug trafficking interdiction, and search & rescue!
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Anyone want to speculate on whether we see this four show (Fri evening, Sat daytime, Sat evening, Sun daytime) schedule continue on in future years? Gives the opportunity to condense some shows and also make them each unique. Airshow can sell 33% more tickets, that's got to be enticing.
0 x

AIAS

Post by AIAS » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:10 pm

We can confirm we are not entertaining a split Saturday/4-show schedule in the future. The decision to do so this year was based solely on the limited capacity of the drive-in event we were permitted to organize, and the sales revenue required to make a budget work.

We did our best to keep SkyDrive ticket prices as reasonable as possible and 2 shows on Saturday were necessary to accomplish that. In the end, our most economical SkyDrive ticket is less than our usual carload price and if you bring even 4 people in a vehicle, pricing is pretty consistent with our typical GA rates.

We know many people don't love that our featured military performers (Snowbirds, Raptor, Hornet, Super Hornet) are split between the two Saturday shows, but there will be some things on Saturday that you won't get to see on Friday or Sunday. We already announced the Aurora & Cyclone demos with another announcement coming today.

Also worth noting that we will continue to work on additions even when the schedule no longer has any "To Be Announced" gaps.
4 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks for the update! Just for clarification I was in no way being critical of this years' Sky Drive planning/scheduling. Keep up the great work!
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm

Nice addition, Cormorant demo confirmed for Saturday evening.
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm

The Super hornet will now perform in all 4 shows, so that is awesome! The more afterburner demos in that golden light the better!

Is there any chance that aircraft will stage out of Abbotsford if the borders open up before the show? It may be too close to the show to change anything, but I'm curious what others think?

Also, will civilian performers like Jeff Boerboon (Yak 110) also launch from the US? Or will he arrive 2 weeks prior to the show and quarantine?

Finally, it would be great to get some extra USAF assets to perform flybys in between some acts. I love the tease from AIAS hinting that they are still working away at adding a few things. We've got the cake! I'm just hoping for another cherry (or two or three) on top!
3 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 pm

lukas97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm The Super hornet will now perform in all 4 shows, so that is awesome! The more afterburner demos in that golden light the better!

Is there any chance that aircraft will stage out of Abbotsford if the borders open up before the show? It may be too close to the show to change anything, but I'm curious what others think?

Also, will civilian performers like Jeff Boerboon (Yak 110) also launch from the US? Or will he arrive 2 weeks prior to the show and quarantine?

Finally, it would be great to get some extra USAF assets to perform flybys in between some acts. I love the tease from AIAS hinting that they are still working away at adding a few things. We've got the cake! I'm just hoping for another cherry (or two or three) on top!
As far as I know the US assets won't be in Abbotsford. Military most likely outta Whidbey Island, and the civilian performers in either Bellingham or Skagit (since the HFMuseum is there).

The issue is that all the hotels and logistics of getting performers all the things they need is too much to last-minute shift it all to Canada IF they open the borders just before the show.

Who knows honestly, but I'll be happy either way
1 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:36 pm

lukas97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm The Super hornet will now perform in all 4 shows, so that is awesome! The more afterburner demos in that golden light the better!

I hear you, this show is already exceeding my expectation, can't wait to see if they can add further.

Bingofuel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 pm As far as I know the US assets won't be in Abbotsford. Military most likely outta Whidbey Island, and the civilian performers in either Bellingham or Skagit (since the HFMuseum is there).
Too bad for the performers, hopefully they can still have some fun in the Whidbey Island O-Club.
1 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:37 am

lukas97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 pm Finally, it would be great to get some extra USAF assets to perform flybys in between some acts. I love the tease from AIAS hinting that they are still working away at adding a few things. We've got the cake! I'm just hoping for another cherry (or two or three) on top!
Not sure if you noticed, but in addition to the Super Hornet and T-33 changes, there was one other subtle change to the Saturday day show schedule. A slot "to be announced" was added as well. One would have to assume at least one performer has been confirmed for that slot.
1 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:42 pm

This is the best place I can think to post this: anyone else in the Vancouver area spot the Snowbirds flying in formation with a CF-18 this afternoon? I was driving home when I heard a very familiar noise, and they flew right overhead while I was crossing the Burrard Bridge.

Just curious who else may have seen this (it was fantastic to see the Snowbirds in the air again!) and if anyone knows if there was a particular reason for the flyby?
Edit: just read that this was, in fact, for Operation Inspiration.
Last edited by Frenetic Enigma on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”