Thunder Over Michigan 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
PWJT8D

Post by PWJT8D » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:28 pm

I'm kind of excited for a drive-in format. Everyone will have their 20x20 parking space. I won't leave my chairs on the flight line to look at statics only to return to see my chairs either moved completely or 10 people with their arm rests over top of mine. Plus I now won't have to walk a mile from the parking lot to show center :lol:
Great news that the statics are back along with everything else.
0 x
Andrew Thompson

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:30 pm

robert16627 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:33 pm This email was just sent out to people who are subscribed to the Thunder Over Michigan email. They are gonna allow the public to walk around the static displays only and I assume not the birds that are gonna fly, but I could be wrong.
You will be able to see the B-25's, don't worry ;)
1 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:42 pm

This makes me hate the morning/afternoon show concept. 2 hour time limit with non-stop flying gives no time for static displays.

Just out of curiosity, which show (morning ot afternoon) are you guys planning on attending?
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:47 pm

smalldude333 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:42 pm This makes me hate the morning/afternoon show concept. 2 hour time limit with non-stop flying gives no time for static displays.

Just out of curiosity, which show (morning ot afternoon) are you guys planning on attending?
I'm very glad to see the static displays back but I agree it will be tough given the time constraints of two shows.

My parents got a free show pass by virtue of already having bought tickets, and they selected Saturday afternoon. I figure they can watch the morning flying while they wait in line to get in. It also means they don't need to get up crazy early.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:07 pm

I'm assuming the static displays will be available from the time the parking gates open until a set time to help expedite the arrival/departure process, as well as allow the aircraft that are on static display to fly. That just means we're going to have to be there right when the parking gates open to have time to look, which will be an early wake-up. That's ok though. I'll take a limited time to look at the B-25s over no time to look at anything.

I have a nagging feeling that this is going to be a cluster but I'm going in with an open mind.
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:12 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:07 pm I'm assuming the static displays will be available from the time the parking gates open until a set time to help expedite the arrival/departure process, as well as allow the aircraft that are on static display to fly. That just means we're going to have to be there right when the parking gates open to have time to look, which will be an early wake-up. That's ok though. I'll take a limited time to look at the B-25s over no time to look at anything.

I have a nagging feeling that this is going to be a cluster but I'm going in with an open mind.
I remember discussing this and I think there may be time after the morning session before people start getting kicked out to walk the statics, and time before the afternoon session.
1 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:13 pm

Lots going on, but add the Sandbar Mitchell to the list of "airframes" as she will be on display as well 8-)
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:07 pm I'm assuming the static displays will be available from the time the parking gates open until a set time to help expedite the arrival/departure process, as well as allow the aircraft that are on static display to fly. That just means we're going to have to be there right when the parking gates open to have time to look, which will be an early wake-up. That's ok though. I'll take a limited time to look at the B-25s over no time to look at anything.

It definitely will be a cluster. Remember the year they made everyone depart the same single road west no matter if you needed to go the other direction? It took an hour to get to the highway and that was after waiting for the crowd to thin out. They went back to the normal everybody goes their own way the next day. I expect Sunday this year to run a little smoother once they realize what works and what doesn't. "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -- Mike Tyson
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm

The Warbird's of Glory Museum's B-25J Mitchell, known as the "Sandbar Mitchell", that is presently under restoration will be on display with all of its parts. This is something that wouldn't have been able to be done if the restrictions weren't lifted.

For the most part, the drive-in style will remain due to construction at the airport confining some area. With a drive-in style show, there will be a better idea of how many cars will be there for traffic flow versus regular admission and allowing purchase of parking at the gate.
2 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:23 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm For the most part, the drive-in style will remain due to construction at the airport confining some area. With a drive-in style show, there will be a better idea of how many cars will be there for traffic flow versus regular admission and allowing purchase of parking at the gate.
This is actually a huge point I forgot about, thanks for mentioning.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”