Thunder Over Michigan 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:31 am

What an amazing show! We were there Friday and Saturday and this was easily one of the best airshow weekends ever. I imagine most that attended will agree. People can gripe and complain about the ticket prices until they fall over dead, but Yankee sold out both shows and that's really all that matters. And the people that put up the money to attend got a real treat.

The action was NONSTOP, almost on the verge of too fast paced (it actually WAS too fast paced as Kristin didn't do any post-heritage passes, and I heard the Blues on the radio say they were going to have to shorten their show). So much fighter jet noise (and VERY close passes), awesome variety of warbirds, and even though 1/3 of the expected B-25's dropped out before the show, 14 was honestly more than enough and adding 7 more take-offs, passes, and landings to that mix would have REALLY restricted the time.

The drive-in style was actually not too bad. We got up early enough to get front row, and it was pretty cool to stand up in the bed of the truck and be able to see everything going on around the field. I can understand that for those that weren't front row and didn't have a truck bed to stand in, the show may have been a little lackluster.

The only thing really lacking was the military statics which were more or less out of their control this year (and not that it would've really mattered since Friday arrivals were over Ecorse and the police were sending people away). The TFR in effect most of the day for the practice show offered some awesome vantage points from the grass field off of Tyler nonetheless.

Going to remember this show for a very long time. Already planning for next year! Any thoughts on a theme?!?! 8-)
0 x

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:10 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:31 am What an amazing show! We were there Friday and Saturday and this was easily one of the best airshow weekends ever. I imagine most that attended will agree. People can gripe and complain about the ticket prices until they fall over dead, but Yankee sold out both shows and that's really all that matters. And the people that put up the money to attend got a real treat.

The action was NONSTOP, almost on the verge of too fast paced (it actually WAS too fast paced as Kristin didn't do any post-heritage passes, and I heard the Blues on the radio say they were going to have to shorten their show). So much fighter jet noise (and VERY close passes), awesome variety of warbirds, and even though 1/3 of the expected B-25's dropped out before the show, 14 was honestly more than enough and adding 7 more take-offs, passes, and landings to that mix would have REALLY restricted the time.

The drive-in style was actually not too bad. We got up early enough to get front row, and it was pretty cool to stand up in the bed of the truck and be able to see everything going on around the field. I can understand that for those that weren't front row and didn't have a truck bed to stand in, the show may have been a little lackluster.

The only thing really lacking was the military statics which were more or less out of their control this year (and not that it would've really mattered since Friday arrivals were over Ecorse and the police were sending people away). The TFR in effect most of the day for the practice show offered some awesome vantage points from the grass field off of Tyler nonetheless.

Going to remember this show for a very long time. Already planning for next year! Any thoughts on a theme?!?! 8-)
How about another attempt on the Luftwaffe theme ;)
1 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm

I've been beating the drum for a Grumman theme for probably 15 years and I don't see any reason to stop. I know TOM likes the spectacle of "most __ since __" and that theme would probably make it tough to make a statement like that, but there are plenty of warbird operators that have supported Thunder recently that could stuff the ramp full of Cats, Avengers, Trader/Trackers and perhaps a Duck, Albatross, Goose, etc. They could even incorporate Gene Soucy in the AG Cat.

I'm a little surprised they didn't immediately announce the Blues for July 16-17 next year, so maybe the dates are changing. That would be nice so TOM and Selfridge aren't back-to-back weekends.

This year was fun. I was very skeptical of the drive-in format (and there were some aspects of any drive-in that I don't like), but they did an outstanding job this year and I really enjoyed the Saturday morning show.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Matt

robert16627

Post by robert16627 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:21 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm I've been beating the drum for a Grumman theme for probably 15 years and I don't see any reason to stop. I know TOM likes the spectacle of "most __ since __" and that theme would probably make it tough to make a statement like that, but there are plenty of warbird operators that have supported Thunder recently that could stuff the ramp full of Cats, Avengers, Trader/Trackers and perhaps a Duck, Albatross, Goose, etc. They could even incorporate Gene Soucy in the AG Cat.

I'm a little surprised they didn't immediately announce the Blues for July 16-17 next year, so maybe the dates are changing. That would be nice so TOM and Selfridge aren't back-to-back weekends.

This year was fun. I was very skeptical of the drive-in format (and there were some aspects of any drive-in that I don't like), but they did an outstanding job this year and I really enjoyed the Saturday morning show.
The Selfridge Airshow and Thunder Over Michigan will be back to back next year. Selfridge is slated for July 9-10 and Thunder Over Michigan is slated for July 16-17.
0 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:24 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm I've been beating the drum for a Grumman theme for probably 15 years and I don't see any reason to stop. I know TOM likes the spectacle of "most __ since __" and that theme would probably make it tough to make a statement like that, but there are plenty of warbird operators that have supported Thunder recently that could stuff the ramp full of Cats, Avengers, Trader/Trackers and perhaps a Duck, Albatross, Goose, etc. They could even incorporate Gene Soucy in the AG Cat.

No date change. Show will be July 16-17 with the Blue Angels next year. Website was updated this morning to reflect this.

Tons of themes always discussed, and with a jet team next year (and planned ahead of time) expect a really cool theme.

Michigan is going to be the place to be for air shows in early to mid July next year.

4th of July weekend: Battle Creek and Traverse City
July 9-10: Selfridge
July 16-17: Thunder
Last edited by Bretten Bailey on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:55 pm

Bretten Bailey wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:24 pm

No date change. Show will be July 16-17 with the Blue Angels next year. Website was updated this morning to reflect this.

Tons of themes always discussed, and with a jet team next year (and planned ahead of time) expect a really cool theme.

Michigan is going to be the place to be for air shows in early to mid July next year.

4th of July weekend: Battle Creek and Traverse City
July 9-10: Selfridge
July 16-17: Thunder
Was the Luftwaffe theme mentioned at all? I have a buddy that is really in to German fighters and so am I.

I would also love to see a grumman theme as mentioned before.

We know (after seeing what thunder could pull off this year), that the organizers can work their magic for next year.
Last edited by smalldude333 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Airshowlover811

Post by Airshowlover811 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:38 pm

A cat theme would be nice or how about thunder and lightning and have P-38s and P-47s and a-10s and F-35s.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:41 pm

Airshowlover811 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:38 pm A cat theme would be nice or how about thunder and lightning and have P-38s and P-47s and a-10s and F-35s.
That would be awesome considering that next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the A-10 Thunderbolt II's first flight.
0 x

Airshow0wen

Post by Airshow0wen » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:44 pm

Don’t forget the 75th anniversary of the USAF!
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:59 pm

A few notes on the mentioned themes-

Luftwaffe theme is unlikely. Maybe in the future when Yagen's 262 is for sure flying, Collings' future with their 262 and the unfinished FW is spelled out more clearly, etc...

Cat theme is always a maybe, but it's almost impossible to get a Tigercat and there would not be a Cat theme if all the Cats can't be there.

P-47s, P-38s, and Bearcats will probably never happen because TOM can't compete with POF on gatherings with those types.

I'm with P-40s or something British, but the Lanc might not be airworthy next year.
2 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”