Thunder Over Michigan 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:07 pm

August 7-8, 2021
Willow Run Airport
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Theme
"Mitchell Madness"

Theme Aircraft
- North American B-25 Mitchell Bomber

2021 Performers
- USAF Thunderbirds
- USN Blue Angels
- USMC C-130J Hercules 'Fat Albert'
- USAF F-35A Lightning II Demo Team
- USAF A-10C Thunderbolt II Demo Team
- USAF Heritage Flight
- USN EA-18G Growler Demo
- USN Legacy Flight
- Luftwaffe A400M Atlas
- Team Vance AFB
- VT-35 Stingrays
- Jim Tobul "Korean War Hero Airshows"
- YAM B-25J Mitchell 'Yankee Warrior'
- YAM B-25D Mitchell 'Rosie's Reply'
- OFM B-25J Mitchell 'Super Rabbit'
- LAM B-25J Mitchell 'Georgie's Gal'
- MAM B-25J Mitchell 'Wild Cargo'
- CAF SoCal Wing PBJ Mitchell 'Semper Fi'
- CAF B-25J Mitchell 'Miss Mitchell'
- DAM B-25J Mitchell "Panchito"
- CAF B-25J Mitchell 'Show Me!'
- DTAM B-25J Mitchell 'Betty's Dream'
- CFM B-25H Mitchell 'Barbie III'
- CAF B-25J Mitchell 'MAID in the SHADE'
- CAM B-25J Mitchell 'CHAMPAIGN Gal'
- Tom DuffyB-25J Mitchell "take- off time"
- EAA B-25H Mitchell 'BERLIN EXPRESS'
- CAF B-25J Mitchell 'Devil Dog'
- YAM B-17G Flying Fortress 'Yankee Lady'
- YAM UH-1 Huey 'Greyhound'
- YAM C-47D 'Hairless Joe'
- Jack Roush's P-51D Mustang 'Gentleman Jim'
- Jack Roush's P-51B Mustang 'Old Crow'
- Bob Pingston T-6D Texan
- Lou Feldvary T-6D Texan
- Roger Babb T-28B Trojan
- TSWM P-51D Mustang 'Cincinnati Miss'
- Bruce Koch SNV-1 Valiant
Last edited by Nick on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 34 times in total.
1 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 am

The dates for the 2021 edition of Thunder Over Michigan will be August 7th and 8th.
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 am The dates for the 2021 edition of Thunder Over Michigan will be August 7th and 8th.
I'm curious what line-up the organizers will be brewing and conducting. Most likely the U.S Air Force will support the event. Still I'd rather wait to see what the organizers will announce for the show to be highlighted by in December.
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Nick wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm
n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 am The dates for the 2021 edition of Thunder Over Michigan will be August 7th and 8th.
I'm curious what line-up the organizers will be brewing and conducting. Most likely the U.S Air Force will support the event. Still I'd rather wait to see what the organizers will announce for the show to be highlighted by in December.
I'm not sure about military support, but I would say plan on the F-35A and some Growlers, if not the TACDEMO (dependent on how the Navy does that next year).

Warbirds, expect something similar to the Corsair gathering, but another type. One of those "man I REALLY should've gone to that show..." moments. Don't miss it, trust me. More to come soon!
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm not sure about military support, but I would say plan on the F-35A and some Growlers, if not the TACDEMO (dependent on how the Navy does that next year).

Warbirds, expect something similar to the Corsair gathering, but another type. One of those "man I REALLY should've gone to that show..." moments. Don't miss it, trust me. More to come soon!
[/quote]

How about the Raptor Demo Team and the Navy's F-35C Airshow Profile, now we got two stealth demo teams, seems ligament that they should have the F-22A & F-35C stealth fighters work I am right?😏😏😏
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Nick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 pm How about the Raptor Demo Team and the Navy's F-35C Airshow Profile, now we got two stealth demo teams, seems ligament that they should have the F-22A & F-35C stealth fighters work I am right?😏😏😏
Guaranteed some shows will probably get that, I can see LA County or Miramar potentially being those. I think that initial plan was to keep the F-35C on the West Coast and TACDEMO on the East/Midwest side of things. That could of course change if Lemoore gets a Rhino team again.

From what I've heard, some shows are sort of "transferring" what they had planned from the USAF last year. That gets a little tricky with different Blue Angel and Thunderbird schedules, but those that feature a single ship as their main military performer will probably get the same jet in 2021. The F-35A was heavy on the west coast and I can see that shifting a little bit, but a lot of those shows didn't have the F-35A in 2019 so it was their time!
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:22 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:18 pm
Nick wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 pm How about the Raptor Demo Team and the Navy's F-35C Airshow Profile, now we got two stealth demo teams, seems ligament that they should have the F-22A & F-35C stealth fighters work I am right?😏😏😏
Guaranteed some shows will probably get that, I can see LA County or Miramar potentially being those. I think that initial plan was to keep the F-35C on the West Coast and TACDEMO on the East/Midwest side of things. That could of course change if Lemoore gets a Rhino team again.

From what I've heard, some shows are sort of "transferring" what they had planned from the USAF last year. That gets a little tricky with different Blue Angel and Thunderbird schedules, but those that feature a single ship as their main military performer will probably get the same jet in 2021. The F-35A was heavy on the west coast and I can see that shifting a little bit, but a lot of those shows didn't have the F-35A in 2019 so it was their time!
And Im predicting that we will have them again since most west shows in general are cancelled so Wests time is next year I believe, plus I get what your saying they like to be tricky and switch schedules up each year pretty much simple like heavy West one and Heavy East one year. This is just what I think or predict.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 pm

Things might get messy next summer if a bunch of shows start overlapping eachother. TOM is now on the same weekend as Seattle and Abbotsford in the west, with probably a few more shows to schedule that weekend as well.

There are so many variables now. Border closures, politics, virus cases, defense budgets. Gonna be interesting but I'm hoping for the best!
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 am

Bingofuel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 pm Things might get messy next summer if a bunch of shows start overlapping each other. TOM is now on the same weekend as Seattle and Abbotsford in the west, with probably a few more shows to schedule that weekend as well.

There are so many variables now. Border closures, politics, virus cases, defense budgets. Gonna be interesting but I'm hoping for the best!
I've could've thought of that, but TOM might be able to secure a Military Demo and possibly U.S Air Force Thunderbird if they could, but since the economy is starting to crash, I think because of this I'm starting to lose hope for seeing the best performers at my personal favorite airshows they may not have the thrills I've been expecting to happen. in that scenario they may be smaller than usual. But still as long as 2021 goes on I'm pretty much ok with that, least they can produce and do.
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Nick wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 am I've could've thought of that, but TOM might be able to secure a Military Demo and possibly U.S Air Force Thunderbird if they could, but since the economy is starting to crash, I think because of this I'm starting to lose hope for seeing the best performers at my personal favorite airshows they may not have the thrills I've been expecting to happen. in that scenario they may be smaller than usual. But still as long as 2021 goes on I'm pretty much ok with that, least they can produce and do.
TOM will not be getting the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, with the intent of a gathering similar to the Corsairs, but with another type, being the main attraction. 2020 was supposed to have the Blues, F-35A, and Growlers, but with a lackluster warbird lineup. Expect the F-35A, Growlers or TACDEMO, and large warbird gathering to be the stage for 2021. And I don't believe at this time Seattle or Abby would take any of the warbirds that could go to the gathering. As far as I know TOM has Erickson priority, and who knows what FHCAM will be doing next year. They don't send anything to TOM anyway so that's a moot point I guess. I'm one of those that hopes FHCAM goes away and sells their planes to other collectors, but... :D Regarding military, Seattle will probably have the Blues and a single ship team (F-16 or A-10), Abby will probably get the Raptor like was planned this year, and like I said above TOM would still get the F-35A.
Last edited by GRNDP51 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”