IWM Duxford Airshows and Flying Events 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Flightline Uk

IWM Duxford Airshows and Flying Events 2021

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:59 pm

IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire, CB22 4QR, United Kingdom

Provisional listing of Airshows and Flying Events 2021
Saturday 24th April Flying Day
Saturday 8th May Flying Day
Saturday 22nd May Flying Day
Sunday 6th June Flying Day
Sunday 20th June Flying Day
Saturday 3rd July Flying Day
Saturday 24th July Duxford Air Festival
Sunday 25th July Duxford Air Festival
Wednesday 4th August Flying Day
Wednesday 11th August Flying Day
Thursday 19th August Flying Day
Friday 17th September Battle of Britain Air show
Saturday 18th September Battle of Britain Air show
Sunday 19th September Battle of Britain Air show
Saturday 9th October Flying Day
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:41 pm

2021 will see two Air Shows take place at IWM Duxford over weekends in July and September. These will include entertaining ground content and of course, our signature air displays. Our focus will be on the safety of visitors, staff and volunteers, adapting and responding to the changing environment as required.
Saturday 24 July: Duxford Air Festival
Sunday 25 July: Duxford Air Festival
Saturday 18 September: Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show
Sunday 19 September: Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show
2021 will see the introduction of ten Flying Days which will run on various dates from April to October. From D-Day to commemorating the valiant efforts of RAF Duxford’s Squadron 19, each of these Flying Days will be themed and will allow visitors the chance to explore our museum and pop up displays and experiences, before enjoying hours of flying action in the skies.
Saturday 24 April
Saturday 8 May
Saturday 22 May
Sunday 6 June
Sunday 20 June
Saturday 3 July
Wednesday 4 August
Wednesday 11 August
Thursday 19 August
Saturday 9 October
https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Sadly there's been more clarity lately about the UK's lockdown plan and it looks like IWM's events season has been delayed. The initial "roadmap" stated that public buildings can reopen from the 12th April and "indoor entertainment" from the 17th May. I had assumed this would allow IWM to reopen in April - as had they, as their booking portal was selling tickets from the 12th April, with the exception of dates assigned to either airshows or Flying Days. It was later confirmed that most museums will be classed as "indoor entertainment" and IWM's booking portal is now only selling tickets from the 17th May onwards. Although they are still listed on IWM's website, this presumably means the first two Flying Days of 2022 have been cancelled. As it stands, the first Flying Day of the year will now be no earlier than the 22nd May.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm

Flying Days update:

Saturday 22nd May - Standing Together
Join us on Saturday 22 May 2021 for Flying Days: Standing Together.
We know the last year has taken its toll, and looking after our mental health has never been so important. Enjoy two hours of flying and stand together with fans for Mental Health Awareness.
https://fb.me/e/1eYl7yN1d

Sunday 6th June - Commemorating D-Day.
Join us on Sunday 6 June 2021 for Flying Days: Commemorating D-Day.
Duxford played a pivotal role in Operation Overlord, providing air support for D-Day operations. Commemorate D-Day at IWM Duxford with a special flying display and ground entertainment honouring our place in history.
https://fb.me/e/dkgbvAa6T

Sunday 20th June - Thank You Dads
From our flying display to getting up close to classic warbirds, having your photo taken with living history groups or enjoying a (pre-booked) cockpit experience. We have all the ingredients for a very happy Dad this Father's Day!
https://fb.me/e/3CVCgUbly
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:12 pm

I hear this year's Flying Days are set to be bigger events than the Showcase Days they replace. Disappointed I can't make the D-Day event, but weather permitting, I think I'll try and do the Standing Together show, and probably at least one more in June or July.
Last edited by Adam on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2021/04/ai ... ay-events/

Also, some early participant news:

22nd May
  • Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina - Plane Sailing
6th June
  • Supermarine Spitfire LFIXB - Old Flying Machine Company
20th June -
  • Hawker Hurricane I - Bygone Aviation Ltd
  • Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina - Plane Sailing
  • Supermarine Spitfire Ia - ARCo/Imperial War Museums
Plus further details on some of the later Flying Days:

Flying Days: Behind the Scenes - 3rd July

Duxford’s home to Spitfires, over 100 years of history, and some of the best aviation partners in the business. Flying Days: Behind the Scenes on Saturday 3 July 2021 recognises the important work they do to keep history flying.

Flying Days: Squadron 19 Heroes - 4th August

A must for history fans of all ages! We’ll be celebrating the day 19 Squadron made history by receiving the first, now legendary, Spitfire into service at IWM Duxford. Enjoy a day of Spitfire history on Wednesday 4 August 2021.

Flying Days: Showtime - 11th August

What’s it like to fly? Many famous authors have been inspired by aviation to create stories loved around the world. For families and younger fans, join us on Wednesday 11 August 2021 for a day of drama, storytelling and ‘showtime’ inspired entertainment.

Flying Days: Young Aviators - 19th August

Especially for young aviation fans and their families to enjoy a great summer day out. Join us on Thursday 19 August 2021 for pure, feel-good family fun with colourful flying and activities to enjoy together. Whatever your age!

Flying Days: Best of 2021 - 9th October

Looking back at the best of Flying Days 2021 on Saturday 9 October 2021, we’ll bring you highlights from our special season. Handpicked by our Flying Display Director and Duxford Air Shows team, we’ll be ending a year that we hope will be full of highs!
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200 also on the list for the 20th June, by the way. Nice to see a real range of themes through the year and I have high hopes for the October show.

Side note, but I notice quite a big hike in ticket costs. Up from circa £18 in 2019 to £23 last year and £28.50 this year. The £33 annual membership is looking like a better deal than ever!
Last edited by Adam on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:06 pm

Membership goes up to £60 when you renew this year.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Flightline Uk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:06 pm Membership goes up to £60 when you renew this year.
Ouch, I missed that announcement. How old is that news? In all fairness, £33 is an absolute steal for access to three paid museums and eight mini-airshows. Fair play to them.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”