IWM Duxford Airshows and Flying Events 2021

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:31 pm

A really important point I picked up at a recent visit to Duxford regarding the Summer Airshow.

My phone is pretty ancient and won't deal with QR codes, either through the NHS contact tracing app or otherwise. On non-event days and Flying Days this is not a problem as I can manually fill in a test and trace form. However, I was told by the steward as I went through this process that the forms will not be available at the Summer Airshow because of the processing time and the expected crowd size. They said, friendly but very firmly, that I should not buy a ticket for the airshow, as I will not be permitted entry due to my inability to check in using the NHS app.

This is not what the IWM website says: the event T&Cs state that visitors can either check in using the NHS app or provide their details to a member of staff.

I can't imagine they could actually enforce this policy without an enormous backlash, but the information I was given from IWM staff couldn't have been clearer. I'm not a ticket holder and neither am I planning to become one, but anyone who who sees this who might be unable to use the NHS app may want to call IWM to clarify the situation.
Last edited by Adam on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:48 pm

In light of the latest government guidance announced this week, the capacity of the event will be increased to allow 8,000 ticket holders to attend on both Saturday and Sunday, giving even more visitors the chance to enjoy IWM Duxford’s first Air Show since 2019. We are also thrilled to be able to open all indoor exhibitions and hangars for the duration of the weekend meaning there will be plenty to explore in-between flying. Highlights include the immersive Ops Block exhibition, which opened in September 2020 to mark 80 years since the Battle of Britain; discovering the best collection of American military aircraft displayed outside the US in the American Air Museum; and getting up close to a range of tanks and other military vehicles in Land Warfare Hall. The Red, Green and Blue Zones will now only be used for parking, entering and exiting the site and visitors will be granted unrestricted access to the showground upon entry, allowing them to explore more trading stalls and on-the-ground activities and entertainment, which include living history groups and static vehicle displays.

Whilst we continue to work within the parameters of the updated government guidance, we are maintaining some measures to ensure the safety of visitors, staff and volunteers on site. These include requiring ticket holders aged 16 and over to show their Covid-19 status as a condition of entry, details of what this means can be found here. We are also still strongly encouraging that visitors wear face coverings whilst indoors and in congested areas for the protection and safety of others.
The following aircraft have been added:

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt 'Nellie-B'
North American P-51D Mustang 'The Hun Hunter Texas'
North American TF-15D Mustang 'Contrary Mary'
Grumman FM-2 Wildcat - TFC
Spitfire PRXI - ARCo
Spitfire 1a x 2- Comanche Fighters Llc
Spitfire Ia - IWM/ARCo
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:40 am

A very nice weekend, as it turned out. I understand IWM took a concious decision to keep this airshow simple, both because of the limited budget and lack of currency among aircrew and organisers. I was pleasantly surprised, therefore, that the flying display was virtually non-stop on both days. We got very lucky with the weather, and despite amber warnings for heavy rain all weekend, there was just some light spitting on Sunday morning and evening, and no rain at all during the flying displays.

I have no video to share as the stream I was working on was behind a paywall, but a few specific moments are certainly worthy of mention. The Sunday display by the Little and Large duo (full size and remote control Extra 300s) was probably the best I've ever seen from them. I continue to think that this year's Typhoon display is absolutely immense, and the Catalina/FM-2 Wildcat pairing opened in stunning style on Saturday with both aircraft performing a perfect opposing pass. Dave Southwood's Wildcat solo on Saturday was brilliant, as was the NHS Spitfire on Saturday and MH434 on Sunday. The 8th Air Force segment was very nice indeed, especially on Sunday, with the P-47 and two P-51s doing some lovely topside passes before joining up with the B-17. Finally, big respect to the Red Arrows for displaying in deteriorating conditions on Sunday, as huge black stormclouds, flashing with lightning, towered over the airfield a few miles to the south.

It was absolutely lovely to see Duxford teeming with people and aircraft again. The crowd was large and appreciative, and the flying activity was constant, with four Tiger Moths and three Dragon Rapides doing pleasure flights all day, plus movements from some of the other locally-based aircraft, offering the chance to see all three Rapides and two Moths in the circuit at the same time! I'm surprised by the negative comments I've seen elsewhere, I thought it was a solid show and I don't have much bad to say about it.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm

Line for the Squadron 19 Heroes Flying Day on 4th August
Supermarine Spitfire Ia - Imperial War Musuems/Aircraft Restoration Company
North American P-51D Mustang - Miss Helen/Robert Tyrell
Hawker Hurricane I - V7497/Hurricane 504
Nanchang CJ-6 - Private
Yakovlev Yak-50 - Private
North American Harvard - Private
https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events/ ... ng-day-one
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 pm

I guess this is not the complete list as I was told at a recent Duxford display that we can expect to see the debut of a new formation act next Wednesday, which I am very much looking forward to seeing. Info from the lead-pilot-to-be, so right from the horse's mouth.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 pm

A couple of additional events for the 2021 Display Season:

28th August - Duxford Flying Evening: After Hours
4th September - Duxford Flying Day: The Fighters

The flying evening will feature:

Supermarine Spitfire Vb - The Fighter Collection
Curtiss P-40F Warhawk - The Fighter Collectrion
Hispano HA1112-M1L Buchon - Aircraft Restoration Company
Supermarine Spitfire 1a - Imperial War Museums/ARCo
Hawker Hurricane I - Bygone Aviation Ltd
O'Brien's Flying Circus - Schweizer S300C 'OTTO'
de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver - Aircraft Restoration Company
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:15 am

USAF F-15s added to today's flypro, as well as the new formation act
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:36 pm

Today was certainly an interesting one. On paper, it was a line up of theme-defying mediocraty, but the brilliant weather and some surprise additions made it very enjoyable on the day. I would certainly question the wisdom of a 19 Squadron theme when only two aircraft (Spitfire and Mustang) could really claim any links to it. A pedant could even argue that the squadron wasn't represented at all, as they didn't actually operate the Mk.Ia variant of the Spitfire and the Mustang, albeit the correct mark, was pretty obviously in USAAF colours. But I digress...

There were a fair few acts that I wanted to enjoy more than I actually did. The Nanchang CJ-6 was one - rare, but very high, and it didn't actually do very much. The new formation act (James Hepnar in the Extra 300 and Diana Britten in the Cap-232) was another - I'd built it up into a team aerobatic display in my head, but it was in truth a short, non-aerobatic tailchase followed by two solos. The Cap solo was a bit tricky to follow because it was a blue aircraft flying against a blue sky with no smoke - but the aerobatics themselves were very impressive. Meanwhile, James' solo has come on in leaps and bounds since his debut last August and it's now perfectly enjoyable even without factoring in him being a newbie.

Two obvious highlights were the military contributions. The USAF performed two flybys with a pair of F-15Es to open the day's flying, and an Army Air Corps Apache provided a couple of low, slow passes to end the day. Neither were officially part of the air display proper, and unfortunately I missed getting any video of the Apache, which was entirely unannounced! There were some solid solo displays by P-51D "Miss Helen" and a T-6 Harvard, but the best of the bunch by far, as per usual, was John Romain in Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200. That Spitfire + That Pilot + That Cloudscape... very hard to beat.

Last edited by Adam on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:37 am

After a series of successful Flying Days, July saw IWM Duxford host its first full airshow since September 2019. Despite a challenging and ever-changing situation regarding the staging of major events in the build up to the show, the Summer Airshow presented a wide range of airshow favourites alongside several Duxford based warbirds. A full review and more images can be found HERE.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2021/07/re ... r-airshow/
0 x

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:07 am

Battle of Britain Airshow update:
Royal Air Force

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight – Avro Lancaster B1 (F)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight – Supermarine Spitfire (F)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight – Hawker Hurricane IIc (F)

Classic Jets and Cold War Era Types

Westland Whirlwind HAR10 (F) Historic Helicopters
Westland Wessex HU5 (F) Historic Helicopters
Westland Sea King HAR3 (F) Historic Helicopters
de Havilland Canada Beaver AL1 (F) Army Historic Aircraft Flight
Taylorcraft Auster AOP9 (F) Army Historic Aircraft Flight
Agusta/Bell Sioux AH1 (F) Army Historic Aircraft Flight
Westland Scout AH1 (F) Army Historic Aircraft Flight

Warbirds

Supermarine Spitfire Ia (F) Imperial War Museums/ARCo
Supermarine Spitfire LFVc (F) Comnache Fighters
Supermarine Spitfire VIII (F) MaxAlfa Aviation