Wings of the North AirExpo 2021 July 24th and 25th

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 pm

RyanS wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:20 am
kalamazookid wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:49 am Awesome photos! I've always wondered how this show was but have been hesitant to commit to going that far without knowing more about it. Looks like there was lots of flying!
Definitely a lot of flying! Pretty much constant from 10am through 3:30 or 4pm. They don't call it an airshow because they don't have a waiver - the operations are conducted as normal airshow traffic but because there are parallels the south side of the runway is pretty much reserved for show traffic. Each flight goes up for 3 passes (usually 500 feet above the runway but many became arcing photo passes) then breaks to land. They put up a bunch of cool formations (P-51s and B-17, TBM-F4U-F4F) but sadly didn't really arrange any solo passes. Most aircraft flew twice. The aircraft are parked throughout the crowd area so you can get plenty close as they run and taxi, too.

The crowd today was record shattering. They said they had seven or eight thousand people in a single day - double the norm. The traffic line was LONG and moving slowly as they scrambled to find more spots for parking.

The lighting was fantastic for photo as you look straight north. One weird thing is that there is a berm between the crowd and the runway so it's best to sit allll the way at the right end to get a clear-ish view of the runway ops.

This was also the first year when it is on pre-Oshkosh weekend and they caught some of the other warbirds. I think they will keep doing that in the future. For public events to do on this weekend, it is definitely a VERY good option for warbird fans
Thanks for the response! That sounds like the type of event I'd enjoy. Maybe I'll have to work that into the Oshkosh trip in the next couple years.

Great pics! Looking forward to seeing video as well. Looks like a strong turnout of aircraft.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:36 pm

I finally got a couple videos up, about eight or nine more to come

1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”