Airshow Margonin

Discussion relating to 2021 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Airshow Margonin

Post by Adam » Wed May 12, 2021 10:08 am

Airshow Margonin
June 12th 2021
Jezioro Margoninskie, Poland
https://www.facebook.com/airshow.margonin/

Decided to try this little airshow in Poland next month. I really have no idea what to expect, it seems to have only been held one time before and the line up wasn't that strong, but this year they have military participation and are claiming to be one of the biggest aviation events in Poland. The venue is a modestly-sized field on the edge of a lake, on the outskirts of a small town. There's no website, no schedule and no information on where to buy tickets - just a price, 10Zł, which is around $2.50. So given all the unknowns, this could be an interesting adventure!

The line up has a lot of overlap with Leszno the following weekend, but as I planned to arrive early for Leszno anyway, this will be a nice pre-show bonus.

Performers (as of 27/05/21)
Aerobatic Team Orlik (x5 PZL-130 Orlik) - Day
Polish Air Force C-130E Hercules - Day
Polish Air Force Mil Mi-24 Hind - Day
Polish Police S-70i Black Hawk - Day
Pioneer Team Polska (x2 Pioneer 300, x1 Pioneer 400) - Day
Aerosparx (x2 Grob 109) - Day & Night
SB-Lim2 and Lim2 (MiG-15 pair) - Day
Artur Keilak Full Force Airshows XA-41 - Day
Yakovlev Yak-3 - Day
PZL M18 Dromader - Day
Lukasz Czepiela Edge 540 - Day
Lukasz Czepiela Carbon Cub - Day
Mikolaj Tolkacz Falcon 2000S - Day & Night
Maciej Dominiak MBB Bo.105 (due to be the world's first Bo.105 night pyro display) - Day & Night
SkyMagic parachute team - Day & Night
Cessna 172 float plane - Day
Last edited by Adam on Thu May 27, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:26 pm

I don't think anybody will mind me describing this show as being very unusual, for a number of reasons. The venue was rather odd, with the crowd standing in two fields surrounded by tall trees. As a result, the display aircraft had to stay above around 400ft to be visible! The display area was over a nearby lake, and constrained by the local town which was a no-fly area. This was far from ideal as it was right where the display line would otherwise be, and while some aircraft stuck to the official display area, others performed gentle, non-aerobatic turns in the general area of the showground, presumably because they couldn't keep inside the aerobatic box. In perhaps the most dreary air display I've ever sat through, one act (a Cessna floatplane) seemed to display to the wrong venue entirely and never got within half a mile of the venue, circling over the opposite end of the lake instead!

The line up was very badly hit by the weather, as well as a a slew of last-minute technical and regulatory problems. Most of the highlights didn't show up: Team Orlik, the Pioneer Team, SB Lim-2, half of Aerosparx, the Bo.105 and the Black Hawk among them. The C-130 managed just two passes before aborting due to low cloud. The crowd in the official showground (expected to be in the tens of thousands) numbered just a few hundred. As the view from there wasn't great, I spent most of the day in the control tower on the opposite side of the lake and one particular act seemed to give up on the idea of displaying to the tiny crowd and instead performed for the photographers in the tower, repeatedly dive-bombing the balcony in spectacular fashion.

The highlights of what did fly included nice aerobatic solos from Artur Keilak, Guy Westgate and Luke Czepiela in the XA-41, Grob 109 and Edge 540 respectively. A Yak-3 was the sole warbird, with some gentle turns that took in the whole area. We also got a brief appearance from a PoAF Mi-24 Hind, and its final pass, buzzing the tower, was the most memorable moment of the day. We didn't actually get a very good view thanks to the tower roof, but it was just insane to be so close to it and made all the rain and cancellations worthwhile.

Some brief glimpses of the Mi-24 and XA-42 below! I hope the problems experienced this year don't defeat any future events, because the ambition and the vision is certainly there.
Attachments
Keilak.gif
Keilak.gif (5.16 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
Mi24.gif
Mi24.gif (3.47 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
Last edited by Adam on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Whoa I love the gifs!!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2021 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”