2021 U.S Navy Demonstration Teams Schedule

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2474

Here is the 2021 Navy Legacy Flight Schedule!

2021 Navy Legacy Flight Appearance Schedule

May

May 1-2: Wings Over South Texas Air Show - Corpus Christi, TX
May 22: Thunder Over Dalhart Airshow - Dalhart, TX
May 22-23: Atlanta Airshow - Peachtree City, GA

June

June 5-6: The Great Tennessee Airshow - Symrna, TN

July

July 18-19: Moses Lake Airshow - Moses Lake, WA

August

August 7-8: Thunder Over Michigan - Ypsilanti, MI
August 21-22: Wings Over Camarillo - Camarillo, CA

October

October 1-3: The Great Pacific Airshow - Huntington Beach, CA
October 30-31: California International Airshow - Salinas, CA

Here is the 2021 TACDEMO's Schedule!

2021 TACDEMO's Appearance Schedule

March

March 13: NAF El Centro “Festival of Flight” - El Centro, CA

June

July

July 10-11: CenterPoint Energy Dayton Air Show - Dayton, OH

August

August 21-22: Wings Over Camarillo AIrshow - Camarillo, CA

Here is the 2021 F-35C Airshow Team Schedule!

2021 US Navy F-35C Airshow Team Appearance Schedule

May

May 1-2: Wings Over South Texas Air Show - Corpus Christi, TX
May 22-23: Atlanta Airshow - Peachtree City, GA

June

October

October 30-31: California International Airshow - Salinas, CA

Here s the 2021 U.S Navy F/A-18 Rhino Demo Team Schedule!

2021 U.S Navy F/A-18 Rhino Demo Team Appearance Schedule

May

May 22: Thunder Over Dalhart Airshow - Dalhart, TX

October

October 16-17: Orlando Air and Space Show - Stanford, FL

Here is the 2021 U.S Navy EA-18G Growler Legacy Flight Team Schedule!

2021 U.S Navy EA-18G Growler Legacy Flight Team Schedule!

May

May 15-16: The Great Florida Airshow - Melbourne, FL

June

June 19-20: Moses Lake Airshow – Moses Lake, WA

July

July 3-4: Wings and Wheels – Gig Harbor, WA
July 28-31: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh – Oshkosh, WI

August

August 1: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh - Oshkosh, WI
August 7-8: Thunder Over Michigan – Ypsilanti, MI
August 21-22: Edmonton Airshow – Edmonton, AB

October

October 1-3: The Great Pacific Airshow – Huntington Beach, CA
October 16-17: Central Florida Air and Space Show – Sanford, FL
October 30-31: Wings Over North Georgia – Rome, GA
Last edited by Nick on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 21 times in total.
0 x

wendovertom

Post by wendovertom » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:16 pm

ok - I am ready for an update here! :D

Tom P.
1 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Wow - if true, that announcement will be a lot earlier than previous years. Typically it's around the March timeframe. Maybe they were able to clear scheduling and funding hurdles a lot earlier with no show season in 2020 due to COVID.
0 x
Eric P.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:26 am

EricP wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:59 pm Wow - if true, that announcement will be a lot earlier than previous years. Typically it's around the March timeframe. Maybe they were able to clear scheduling and funding hurdles a lot earlier with no show season in 2020 due to COVID.
Just to speak upon on myself I tend to not really follow up with the Naval Single-Ship Demo Teams, with the exception of the Blues, but like every over airshow enthusiasts here on the West Coast, we heard of the new Navy F-35C Airshow Team, their first performances were to occur in the Western portion of the United States (mainly on the West Coast & Southwest Region). But ended up having their first season cancelled and decided to alternate to start their first airshow season in 2021, they usually conduct practice at NAF El Centro in the Imperial County of California alongside the Blues winter practices, along with the Naval West Coast Demo Teams such as the Navy Legacy Flight and the TACDEMO Teams, so I wouldn't doubt the Naval Demo Teams here on the West Coast would a make a 2021 season day view at a few shows, however, still heard nothing from the Rhino Demo Team, but I'm sure that both sides have great plans for their 2021 season.
Last edited by Nick on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:30 am

Just to update with some current info:

The Navy was rumored to be releasing schedules at ICAS but did not. The schedules are expected sometime by the end of January I guess.

Don't get hopes too high though - it sounds like the Navy is having some big budget issues and has cut way back on the number of shows they plan to support. One estimate I heard is in the area of 20 shows total split between F-35C and F-18 demos, plus Legacy Flights - and of course that's before any COVID cancellations that will surely come.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:37 am

I am very interested to see how this all plays out with 2021 being the first year for the F-35C Demo. The F-35C had plans to be on the west coast last year but I am curious to how they will do it this year. They might hit the west coast in 2021 hard because of the missed shows in 2020 that were on the west cost, but they might want to mix things up a bit and come over to the east side. I know there was talk either the F-18 TACDEMO or F-18 Rhino Demo hitting TOM in 2021. I guess we will see how it all plays out.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am

Some questions from a dumb foreigner, who finds the US Navy solo demos to be incredibly confusing. Firstly, what exactly is the difference between the Rhino Demo Team and Super Hornet TACDEMO team? I thought the Rhino Demo Team was simply the 2020 rebranding of the TACDEMO team but I see a distinction being drawn between them in this thread. Secondly, I'm interested whether there's a reason that the Growler Demo Team hasn't been mentioned anywhere here so far. Has that quietly been dropped?

Thanks to the various re-brandings and unfamiliar squadron names, it took me a long time back in February to decipher the USN's pre-pandemic airshow plan for 2020. My understanding was that the Rhino Demo Team from VFA-106 would be performing its full aerobatic "TACDEMO" show at about a dozen events with the F/A-18F, mainly on the east coast. Meanwhile the west coast would be covered by the F-35C Demo Team and the Growler Demo Team (with the F-35C doing mini-demos and Legacy Flights and the EA-18G doing Legacy Flights only). I had imagined that's still the plan for next year, but if not, what is the USN's solo demo/Legacy Flight strategy for 2021?
Last edited by Adam on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

smalldude333

Post by smalldude333 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Adam wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am Some questions from a dumb foreigner, who finds the US Navy solo demos to be incredibly confusing. Firstly, what exactly is the difference between the Rhino Demo Team and Super Hornet TACDEMO team? I thought the Rhino Demo Team was simply the 2020 rebranding of the TACDEMO team but I see a distinction being drawn between them in this thread. Secondly, I'm interested whether there's a reason that the Growler Demo Team hasn't been mentioned anywhere here so far. Has that quietly been dropped?

Thanks to the various re-brandings and unfamiliar squadron names, it took me a long time back in February to decipher the USN's pre-pandemic airshow plan for 2020. My understanding was that the Rhino Demo Team from VFA-106 would be performing its full aerobatic "TACDEMO" show at about a dozen events with the F/A-18F, mainly on the east coast. Meanwhile the west coast would be covered by the F-35C Demo Team and the Growler Demo Team (with the F-35C doing mini-demos and Legacy Flights and the EA-18G doing Legacy Flights only). I had imagined that's still the plan for next year, but if not, what is the USN's solo demo/Legacy Flight strategy for 2021?
This was totally my bad. I wasn't meaning to say "TACDEMO or Rhino" , I meant to say one or the other. They are the same :)

I honestly have no idea what happened to the Growler demo. I only assumed that they were still doing the Legacy flights along with the F-35C.
1 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:01 pm

smalldude333 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm This was totally my bad. I wasn't meaning to say "TACDEMO or Rhino" , I meant to say one or the other. They are the same :)
Ah, thought that's how it worked. Thanks for clearing it up. When it's referred to as the TACDEMO, Rhino Demo Team, or simply by it's squadron number, it all gets quite confusing for those of us not "in the loop". Especially when there's been East and West coast teams doing different things with the same aircraft type...
smalldude333 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm I honestly have no idea what happened to the Growler demo. I only assumed that they were still doing the Legacy flights along with the F-35C.
Yeah that's what I think the original plan was for 2020, as far as I understood it. I just remember a fairly high-profile announcement of a "Growler Demo Team" back at the start of the year, which provoked some excitement at the time. So as it hasn't been mentioned again, in discussions about 2021, I wondered if it had been dropped and I'd missed the news.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Yeah Rhino Demo Team was just a rebranding of the Super Hornet Demo Team from VFA-106. Same thing.
The West coast Super Hornet will still come from VFA-122 but only support Legacy Flights no demo.
Sadly we didn't really hear anything about the Growler Demo team....hopefully it sticks around a little bit.
Sadly as Ryan pointed out I doubt anything will be hit hard by the Navy demos with the budget issues.
After all the previous issues the USN demos have had with budgets I'm just glad they're still kind of around.

David
Last edited by RFDGuy on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x