Abbotsford International Airshow 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:47 pm

Hmmm ACC is temporarily standing down F-35's due to ejection canister issues.

My bet is it won't get resolved by next week.

Although RAF hawks/typhoons we're also stood down but they seems to be back flying pretty quickly.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:46 pm

Bingofuel wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:47 pm Hmmm ACC is temporarily standing down F-35's due to ejection canister issues.

Although RAF hawks/typhoons we're also stood down but they seems to be back flying pretty quickly.
I wonder if this also impacts the Dutch F-35s training in the US. If it's business as usual for them perhaps we'll still get a couple...
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:46 pm

An Aurora has been added to the flying display.
1 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:46 pm
Bingofuel wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:47 pm Hmmm ACC is temporarily standing down F-35's due to ejection canister issues.

I wonder if this also impacts the Dutch F-35s training in the US. If it's business as usual for them perhaps we'll still get a couple...
The F35A and C have both been flying at Oshkosh this weekend.
1 x

Strat45

Post by Strat45 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm

Traffic

We usually camp Friday night, but decided on the luxury of a Best Western this year. Any insights into traffic after the fireworks? I'm guessing Uber is not going to work well, and buses will be a long line/wait, so I'm thinking I'll just drive.

Thanks
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:50 pm

Strat45 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm Traffic

We usually camp Friday night, but decided on the luxury of a Best Western this year. Any insights into traffic after the fireworks? I'm guessing Uber is not going to work well, and buses will be a long line/wait, so I'm thinking I'll just drive.

Thanks
I personally have not had any issues with traffic after the show especially on Friday. I do find the traffic problems tend to occur on the Saturday and Sunday mornings before show starts. I’m hoping with the Thunderbirds flying so early in the day we don’t end up having a repeat of 2018 with the influx of traffic coming to see the Blue Angels. Sitting in the car for 2-3 hours and missing the beginning half of the show that year was a real bummer. I always find it helpful to stick around a bit after show time and let the bulk of traffic make its way out.

Airshow week and arrivals have already started. A B-25 can be seen parked and the Dauntless came in last week. Not sure if there’s going to be any arrival activity today but definitely will be keeping eyes peeled tomorrow.
0 x

Strat45

Post by Strat45 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:21 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:50 pm
Strat45 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm Traffic

Thanks
I personally have not had any issues with traffic after the show especially on Friday. I do find the traffic problems tend to occur on the Saturday and Sunday mornings before show starts. I’m hoping with the Thunderbirds flying so early in the day we don’t end up having a repeat of 2018 with the influx of traffic coming to see the Blue Angels. Sitting in the car for 2-3 hours and missing the beginning half of the show that year was a real bummer. I always find it helpful to stick around a bit after show time and let the bulk of traffic make its way out.

Airshow week and arrivals have already started. A B-25 can be seen parked and the Dauntless came in last week. Not sure if there’s going to be any arrival activity today but definitely will be keeping eyes peeled tomorrow.

Awesome, thank you! I honestly hadn't considered Saturday morning, again, camping solves all these problems!

Since we will see the Friday Twilight show, the plan was to leave after the Warbirds on Saturday, skip the Snowbirds and beat the traffic to the ferry. I guess I need a plan for arriving Saturday too!
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:09 pm

I'd keep my eye out tomorrow for some Birds of Thunder coming from Alaska
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 pm

Snowbirds aircraft has crashed. Preliminary reports are suggesting no injuries and that pilot is safe. Prayers to all involved. This will likely affect the show.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-c ... 7.amp.html
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:17 pm

From the airshow insider email...
Wednesday, August 3

RCAF CF-18 Hornet (early-afternoon)
USAF Thunderbirds (mid-afternoon)

Thursday, August 4

Warbirds
CMV-22 Osprey (late-morning)
KC-46 Pegasus &  C-5 Galaxy (early-afternoon)
Canadian Forces Snowbirds (early-afternoon)

Friday, August 5

All remaining arrivals expected between mid-morning and early-afternoon.
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”