Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:57 am

rhinonavy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:18 pm Thanks Adam! That's very helpful info! It's good to know there are quite a few options out there. We plan to fly into London, spend a couple days there and then ride the train out to Abingdon/Swindon and rent a car once there. I'm not too confident on my first-ever right hand driving experience taking place in downtown London :-).

My brother and I have wanted to see this show since we were kids, and this will be our first visit. Hope to see you all there.
Yes, there are plenty of options if you don't mind a 1hr commute each day. Very few if you want to be close by.

Driving in downtown London is not a practical thing to do anyway. There's a daily charge of something like £10 merely to drive in the city centre and a few hours' parking will cost just as much. But you won't find car hire places in most railway stations or small towns. After your time in London you may find the best option is to rent a car from one of the airports. Heathrow is on the way to Swindon anyway...
Last edited by Adam on Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

rhinonavy

Post by rhinonavy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm

Perfect help. Thank you so much!
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:18 pm

Last week the
@airtattoo
team visited Defence Attaches from 30 nations in their London Embassies. Now back at Air Tattoo HQ with fingers crossed, we wait to see how many of the awesome aircraft discussed will touch down at RAF Fairford in July 2022! Watch this space ……..
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:25 pm

RIAT have published an update from the Air Ops team. Nothing said that wasn't expected, but nonetheless, some key points:
  • The static display green zone will extend onto the western loop, similar to 2018, giving more room for large aircraft in the static display.
  • In line with the USAF 75th aninversary theme, they plan to "display a vast array of modern and historic USAF aircraft both in our wonderful static displays and in the skies above RAF Fairford, with unique aerial demonstrations."
  • The trainer theme is expected to include "iconic training aircraft in their final years of service, whilst also demonstrating new aircraft and systems which have revolutionised flying training." It is also hoped to feature aggressor aircraft from Red Air contractors.
  • They have heard from an air arm that has never participated in RIAT before, and aims to send an aircraft.
  • Following feedback from 2019, organisers aim to make the Saturday and Sunday programs as similar as possible.
  • They have "several ideas and proposals for special aerial displays, which align with our themes" but due to the complexity of organising them, these can only be confirmed at short notice.
I know predictions like this often end badly, but I'm going to guess the new nation is Singapore and the aircraft is one of their newly-acquired A330 MRTTs. I think, at a Virtual Air Tattoo, the RSAF said they had expected to attend one of the cancelled shows with an A330 and that they hoped to revive those plans when the show returned for real.

Full news post: https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... operations
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

mstares

Post by mstares » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 am

After two years of Air Show drought I booked my Newfoundland - UK air tickets for RIAT 2022, this evening

Rolled over my Friat tickets the past two years and booked accommodations this past summer, so this was last real hurdle.

Bring on the weekly announcements.

Mark
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:51 pm

Looks like RIAT will get either the A-10 Thunderbolt II or F-35A Lightning II Demo Team.

https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:43 pm

n33d4sp33d_85 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:51 pm Looks like RIAT will get either the A-10 Thunderbolt II or F-35A Lightning II Demo Team.

https://www.acc.af.mil/Home/Aerial-Even ... -schedule/
Would make sense for the A-10 to give it another try, given it was due to attend last year. It just wouldn't be a RIAT USAF anniversary show without one of the ACC demo teams. The A-10 is a demo we haven't seen in Europe for over a decade and we still haven't seen a fully-aerobatic F-35 display in the UK, so either one would be a treat. And also a minor relief to see that both teams say Demo only, no Heritage Flight, so we'll hopefully be spared from that particular performance!

I wonder what the Jul 9-17 show is for the F-35. A typo maybe? Lumping RIAT and Flying Legends/RNIAD into a single calendar entry? I can't recall many airshows that have gone on for a full 9 days and if there was going to be something of that scale next summer then surely we'd know about it by now?
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 am

Swiss Air Force F/A-18C Hornet solo has been allocated

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:04 pm

Line up (Last updated 18/01/2022)
🇨🇭Swiss Air Force F-18 Hornet (D)
🇬🇧Royal Air Force Red Arrows (D)
🇬🇧Royal Air Force Typhoon (D/S/FP)