Dover AFB Open House & Airshow/Thunder Over Dover 2022

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
ChiroPabloEMT

Post by ChiroPabloEMT » Sun May 08, 2022 12:28 am

Does anyone know if the Air Mobility Command Museum will be open during the airshow on Saturday, May 21st? If so, will there be transportation provided between the museum and the airshow site? Ideally, I would like to visit the museum before the aerial performances begin but I'm not sure if it will be feasible to do both on the same day.
0 x

CoastersUnited

Post by CoastersUnited » Sun May 08, 2022 3:56 am

ChiroPabloEMT wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:28 am Does anyone know if the Air Mobility Command Museum will be open during the airshow on Saturday, May 21st? If so, will there be transportation provided between the museum and the airshow site? Ideally, I would like to visit the museum before the aerial performances begin but I'm not sure if it will be feasible to do both on the same day.
If I had to guess I'd say it won't be open but I can't confirm that
0 x

Bulldogs851

Post by Bulldogs851 » Sun May 08, 2022 1:11 pm

From what I saw on a YouTube video, the museum will be open.
0 x

rhinonavy

Post by rhinonavy » Sun May 08, 2022 1:43 pm

Hoping Mr. Schultz can answer; the site says DOD ID holders can enter through AMC Museum gate, but I don't see that on the map anywhere. Is that still an option?
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sun May 08, 2022 1:56 pm

ChiroPabloEMT wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:28 am Does anyone know if the Air Mobility Command Museum will be open during the airshow on Saturday, May 21st? If so, will there be transportation provided between the museum and the airshow site? Ideally, I would like to visit the museum before the aerial performances begin but I'm not sure if it will be feasible to do both on the same day.
According to their website (www.amcmuseum.org) the AMC Museum will be open all weekend, presumably their normal hours. What I cannot vouch for is if you can go from the museum to the show area and vice versa over the course of the day. The airshow website says the AMC Museum gate is for DOD cardholders only. The base has four gates (or is it three?), all basically accessible for the most part from Route 1, so I would think having DOD people enter from the museum is a way to alleviate traffic backups on a road that routinely backs up this time of year.

Personally, I (well, more like myself plus several friends) plan on going to the AMC Museum on Thursday to see stuff come in and on Friday for the practice and then going on the show grounds early on Saturday and Sunday. On a normal day you can see just about everything on all of the runways at Dover when you visit the museum so I would think you could see much of the show from the museum.
Last edited by passedgas46 on Sun May 08, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Sun May 08, 2022 2:34 pm

You cannot see the hot ramp from the Museum.

One of the reasons the Dover airshow was not as good when it was held at the Museum instead of on the base.
0 x

CoastersUnited

Post by CoastersUnited » Mon May 09, 2022 3:52 pm

How are they gonna do a Search and Rescue demo when there aren't any bodies of water on base? Genuine question
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon May 09, 2022 4:41 pm

CoastersUnited wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:52 pm How are they gonna do a Search and Rescue demo when there aren't any bodies of water on base? Genuine question
I watched video of one they had at a previous Dover show and it was done as if they were rescuing someone from the roof of a building.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue May 10, 2022 5:30 am

CoastersUnited wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:52 pm How are they gonna do a Search and Rescue demo when there aren't any bodies of water on base? Genuine question
They just send someone to stand in the grass/on the runway. They winch down the rescue swimmer, hook up the rescuee and hoist them up, then hoist the swimmer.

Old video:

Sometimes they use the basket, sometimes they don't even have a rescuee and they just put the swimmer up/down.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

CoastersUnited

Post by CoastersUnited » Tue May 10, 2022 11:07 am

RyanS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:30 am
They just send someone to stand in the grass/on the runway. They winch down the rescue swimmer, hook up the rescuee and hoist them up, then hoist the swimmer.

Old video:

Sometimes they use the basket, sometimes they don't even have a rescuee and they just put the swimmer up/down.
Yeah thats what I figured but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks!
0 x

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”