Airshow 50 - Now Skyfest 50

Discussion relating to 2022 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Airshow 50 - Now Skyfest 50

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Skyfest 50
June 25-26, 2022
Hamilton, Ontario (Previously Brantford, Ontario)

Performers
Canadian Warplane Heritage
P-39 Airacobra
P-40 Warhawk
P-51 Mustang
deHavilland Mosquito
Spitfire IX
Hurricane XII
FlugWerk FW190
CF-18 Hornet (static)

https://www.warplane.com/events/upcomin ... ventId=203

I believe this is a 50th anniversary airshow celebration for Canadian Warplane Heritage. I found the link on their calendar of events. Interesting that it isn't being held at Hamilton, but the logistics of holding a show there these days may be too challenging.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Sat May 28, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Matt

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:25 pm

0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Found out about this one a few days ago from Adam (I have been neglecting the forums as I prepare to move :( ) and I'm very excited to see what they come up with! I have never been able to make the Wednesday show work with my schedule, so this may very well be my first visit to Brantford.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:14 pm

CWH has been hinting at a big show for their 50th anniversary for a couple years now and I've been looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I hope I can make this work. Any opportunity to see their fleet in the air with other warbirds is worth checking out.
0 x
Matt

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:04 pm

RyanS wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 pm Found out about this one a few days ago from Adam (I have been neglecting the forums as I prepare to move :( ) and I'm very excited to see what they come up with! I have never been able to make the Wednesday show work with my schedule, so this may very well be my first visit to Brantford.
Yes, I am also watching this with interest. Already planning on doing Aviation Nation next year but I think this may justify a second trip across the Atlantic. Some of the special formations staged during the 2012-13 shows looked excellent.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:39 pm

Celebrate our 50th with us at SKYFEST50 in Hamilton! Flybys by visiting aircraft - Mosquito, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-39, P-40, & more plus our museum's aircraft. Due to logistical challenges, SKYFEST50 at Hamilton is taking place instead of AIRSHOW50 in Brantford.
SKYFEST50 - Celebrate our 50th with us at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum!!

Get close up to the aircraft and meet the crews at this intimate event on our ramp. While not an airshow, there will be flybys by many of the museum's aircraft including the Lancaster as well as by some rare and unique visiting aircraft. Confirmed to date are: Mosquito, Hurricane, Spitfire, P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk, and P-39 Airacobra.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:06 pm

Important note on the website:
Advance ticket sales only - limited to only 2,000 tickets per day - valid only for the specific day purchased.
I'm really hoping to go to this, but the limited ticket sales and the possibility of the border situation changing may make it impractical. I'm not really willing to commit to tickets weeks or months in advance because if the COVID situation changes and a quarantine may be required upon entry to Canada, I cannot commit the vacation time to do that. I know that isn't the current situation but with as unpredictable as the last couple years have been, it would seem foolish to count on anything. I have a hotel booked but I'd probably have to make the decision the week of the show.

That's a good fleet of warbirds coming from MAM. I don't see the Snowbirds or CF-18 listed anywhere though. I hope the move back to Hamilton didn't scuttle those plans. The statement "while not an airshow" leads me to think that it probably did.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:08 pm

I suspect the re-branding of the event and the 'issues' rule out displays from CF Snowbirds and CF-18.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:18 pm

I was just coming to post all of these updates as well. It does sound like expectations for the event have dropped off considerably. My impression based on their wording is that it may be similar to WOTN AirExpo now, where the warbirds are all static displays on the ramp and take off in ones or twos to do a few passes and land. "Not an airshow" = no aerobatic box and no full performances.

Extremely disappointing given that this was going to be a must-see airshow. I also am not quite comfortable committing to it super early, and there are other events in the same time period that sound far more compelling for my time. If those don't work out and I can still get access, I may still go but this is tremendously disappointing.

Now having lost this and the Wild Wednesday show at Willow Run means I have no Snowbird appearances in my plans at all - unacceptable! I'll have to find an alternative somewhere.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:53 pm

I have been to the Skyfest event before and it's probably very similar to how you described WOTN, though WOTN looks like it had better passes. While there was a decent amount of flying at Skyfest, most of the passes were directly overhead and you're so far from the runway that you don't get to see aircraft take off or land. Many of the aircraft were parked a good distance from the crowd, though some of the aircraft giving flight experiences were brought into the static area once they were done flying for the day. I'm picturing a similar setup for this event.

It's still a good excuse to visit the museum (which has a great collection) on top of the flying aircraft, but I think expectations for the flying should be tempered.
0 x
Matt

Return to “2022 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”