How do cities with multiple airports keep track of all the planes?

Threads about the world of aviation outside of airshows. General aviation, airlines, spotting, etc.
MollyJanet

How do cities with multiple airports keep track of all the planes?

Post by MollyJanet » Sat May 01, 2021 3:44 pm

On a trip to Chicago I saw a plane that was taking off from MDW fly under (not super close but much closer than anything I’d seen in my one airport city) a plane that looked like it was heading to ORD. Is this normal? I’ve been really interested in the workings of air traffic control but I haven’t been able to find any Chicago specific or NYC specific information. Do any of you guys know what procedures cities with multiple airports implement to prevent planes from one airport crossing paths with planes from another?
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon May 03, 2021 12:46 am

MollyJanet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:44 pm On a trip to Chicago I saw a plane that was taking off from MDW fly under (not super close but much closer than anything I’d seen in my one airport city) a plane that looked like it was heading to ORD. Is this normal? I’ve been really interested in the workings of air traffic control but I haven’t been able to find any Chicago specific or NYC specific information. Do any of you guys know what procedures cities with multiple airports implement to prevent planes from one airport crossing paths with planes from another?
Good question :)

Busy airports like that all have certain routes - think roads in the sky - in and out that avoid known conflicts. Also, Chicago is "Class B" airspace so every aircraft in that area is directed by Air Traffic Control. Many people think of ATC as the control tower at the airport, but there are other types of ATC (Approach, Center) that cover the space between airports also. They make sure the planes are in the right spot. Other traffic - little guys just passing through the area - are also closely tracked and kept away from the busiest areas.

Hope that helps!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com