Glenview Naval Air Station Videos

Threads about the world of aviation outside of airshows. General aviation, airlines, spotting, etc.
ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:39 am

In July GNAS usually held their Open House before hosting the Chicago Air & Water Show held in August each year. 1993 was a great year for it (Although I missed it as we went to Dayton International Airshow for the first time) as they brought in a tremendous amount of military aircraft. GNAS was announced for BRAC earlier in 1993 so this was the last Open House they ever had (Sad I missed it). We made it back from Dayton mid Sunday to catch some departures. The F-15E Strike Eagle did NOT disappoint. Not only did he depart low and on afterburner but topped it off with an awesome flyby to an inverted roll!! As my Dad always says ROCK N ROLL!!

**Please note** These videos are from the early 90's with a decent (Also not great) VHS camcorder. So video quality and audio aren't what it is today almost 30 years later. These are meant to be fun and I am sharing because I am hoping some of you out there would enjoy seeing some older videos (as I do!!) from people and places that you either shared some experiences with or places that you weren't able to ever get to go to or see first hand. I personally love seeing everyone's older videos, and hope whoever is watching these enjoys them as much as I do. Cheers!!

1 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:25 pm

Over the course of 1988-1995 when we would frequent GNAS on the weekends we saw a lot of Harriers come in. They always liked to put on a show and hover. However they usually did it in the middle of the runway. This time around in the spring of 1994 three AV-8B Harriers from VMA-231 Ace Of Spades stopped into Glenview NAS for a gas and go. This time they hovered for a vertical landing right at the very end of the runway closest to where we were. It was a cool moment. If you look closely on the third AV-8B on its landing pass you can actually see him adjusting his nozzles as he's flying over us. VERY LOUD and fun!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:08 am

This was the end of an era for VF-84 Jolly Rogers. Yes the skull and cross bones continued on as VF-103, but this was the last time VF-84 would make a stop at Glenview. Unfortunately this also included the 5 x F-14A Tomcats in this video which were all headed to the boneyard in the AZ desert...

It was a cool opportunity to see the Jolly Rogers (which was rare in Chicago) but to see 5 Tomcats come in at once was a blast!! Definitely a unique and memorable moment for me. As stated in the video description I don't have any BuNo but only 4 out of the 5 Sq #'s

1 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:17 am

From 1992-94 the British transitioned their GR1 Jaguars of No. 41 Sq through Glenview NAS on their way to and from Nellis AFB for Red Flag at least 3 times (There and back total of 6 times) that I can remember and have video of. It was always a blast to see a foreign countries jets especially something cool like the Jaguar. It was a very rare sight to see anything outside of the US and sometimes Canadian AF. So to have the British Royal AF come through GNAS was super cool. They were always FULL of gas taking off and took up a lot of runway which meant they kept it low and loud with their burners (I mean reheat) lit. This marked the last time the Jags flew into and departed GNAS before the BRAC closed it down in early 1995.

1 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 am

As a kid coming from an ex-USAF Dad (Way before my time on earth back in 63-67) I was crazy about the Air Force jets over the Navy jets even living close to a Navy base. That being said I always loved the Tomcat. Such a beautiful and badass plane and one of the greatest airplanes of all time in my book. I think the movie Top Gun helped with that too...

We were fortunate to see a lot of F-14 Tomcats come through GNAS. We had all the variants A's, B's and D's. This was a great memory as I remember there was a period of time when a lot of Tomcats had the TARPS pod attached just as both of these F-14A's do from VF-102 Diamondbacks. They did a great two ship carrier break with a few flybys. The ending was excellent as #2 lit the cans again right after us to catch its lead. I hope you enjoy!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:01 am

Why not some more Tomcat action? Here was an F-14A from VF-32 Swordsmen doing an unrestricted takeoff on full burner! Looked like he pulled back to 50-55 degrees or so but just kept climbing. Video quality isn't the greatest but hope you enjoy the vintage Tomcat fun.

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:16 pm

Here is a great older video from August 1990 during which they had all the fighter demo performers including the USAF Thunderbirds staged out of GNAS for the Chicago Air Show. They even had a German Navy Bréguet 1150 Atlantic ATL2 make an appearance!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 am

Haven't posted in a little bit but this was a video I just uploaded. This is one of my favorite departures from GNAS. I unfortunately don't remember where this F-16A was from, but he requested to do some flybys with an unrestricted takeoff. Each flyby got lower and lower till the last flyby when he left the burner lit the entire ride down the runway and pulled back till he zoomed up to around 8k'-10k' and ended with a great barrel roll to level out! Hope you enjoy!!

0 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:01 am

Here is a video of arrivals for the GNAS Open House in 1991 including the ERA-3B Skywarrior (which I highlighted in a previous video departing GNAS). There were a ton of aircraft for the 1991 event and a few notable aircraft like the USMC F-4S Phantom, a couple Canadian CT-133 Shooting Stars, an F-16ADF Montana ANG 186th FS, VA-304 Firebirds brought their KA-6E and A-6E Intruders, a couple Tomcats and even an OV-10 Bronco and A-37 Dragonfly paid a visit. It was an awesome open house!!

1 x

ctborresen10

Post by ctborresen10 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:26 pm

This video highlights a lot of what made GNAS so great. Being centrally located in the Midwest and close to downtown Chicago, Glenview always had a great variety of transient aircraft. These highlights were taken from Sept-Nov 1993. Visiting aircraft ranging from Navy, USAF and USMC. Tomcats, Intruders, Prowlers and Hornets to Falcons, Warthogs and Talons. Even had the last flying A-7 Corsair (TA-7C) I ever saw... Sad to think about. This is one of my favorite highlight tapes from Glenview NAS hope you all enjoy!

0 x