MacDill AFB Tampa Bay AirFest 2020 (POSTPONED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:29 am

March 28th and 29th
MacDIll AFB
Tampa, Florida
https://www.tampabayairfest.com/

Featuring
- US Navy Blue Angels
- USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
- USAF F-16 Fighting Falcon Demo
- USAF Heritage Flight
- USAF KC-135 Stratotanker Demo
- Michael Goulian
- Kirby Chambliss
- Red Bull Helicopter
- Red Bull Skydiving Team
- SOCOM Para-Commandos
- Wild Blue Rodeo
- GEICO Skytypers
- Jim Tobul (F4U Corsair "Korean War Hero")
- Scott "Scooter" Yoak (P-51 Mustang "Quicksilver")

Announcer: Rob Reider
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 14 times in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 am

0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:05 am

Additional Performers
- SOCOM Para-Commandos
- KC-135 Stratotanker Flybys
- Jim Tobul (F4U Corsair "Korean War Hero")
- Scott "Scooter" Yoak (P-51 Mustang "Quicksilver")

Website Now Available: https://www.tampabayairfest.com/
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:42 am

Afterburner power comes in the form of the F-22 Raptor Demo Team!!! :D
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 pm

Will the F-22 Demo Team stage from the crowd line?

Or will it be far from crowd?

I like the F-22 Demo Team ground show.
0 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 pm

Will the F-22 Demo Team stage from the crowd line?

Or will it be far from crowd?
I couldn't remember exactly from the 2018 show, but I did remember that the A-10 Demo Team was directly in front of us from the crowd. So, I went back through my pictures and found this:
MacDill_F22.JPG
MacDill_F22.JPG (111.46 KiB) Viewed 11319 times
The F-22 ground show should be visible from the crowd line.
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:11 pm

These are the following aircraft that are to take part in the static display. Updated as of 2/8/2020

- A-10 Thunderbolt II
- B-1B Lancer
- B-52H Stratofortress
- T-41 Mescalero
- C-5 Galaxy
- PT-19
- F-22 Raptor
- F-15 Eagle
- KC-10 Extender
- HH-60 Pave Hawk
- KC-135 Stratotanker
- T-44 Pegasus
- T-38 Talon
- T-6A Texan II
- KC-46 Pegasus
- P-8 Poseidon
- E-8C Joint Star
- CV-22 Osprey
- T-1 Jayhawk
- TH-57 Ranger
- C-12 Huron
- Cessna 172
- C-17 Globemaster III
- F-16 Fighting Falcon
- AC-130 Gunship
- C-37

As always, the line-ups are subject to change.
Last edited by n33d4sp33d_85 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

gsmith6116

Post by gsmith6116 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi Everyone, I was just looking for some 1st timer advice for this show as it looks like I'll have the chance to attend on Saturday or Sunday and hopefully spot on Monday to try and catch some (if any) departures.

From a show standpoint I was curious if anyone had feedback on the following:

Traffic in and out, good/bad? (Regardless I know to arrive early)
Is there a shuttle bus from parking or can you walk to the gate?
Crowd size expectations, normal? over crowded?
Ae you able to leave the showground, go to your car and reenter?
If I cannot reenter does the parking area border any of the display box? (aka could I watch the Blue Angels from the parking lot)
Lighting-good/bad, in your face all day?
Is there a hot ramp area or performers all parked in front of the crowd line?
From what i can tell it looks like the display line is a bit far away from the crowd line, will a 300mm lens be okay for some flying shots?
Photo "pit" worth the price?
It looks like the runway is adjacent to the display line so takeoff/landing shots are not possible?
Does anyone have the tower freq?

Many thanks in advance!

Greg

Thanks in advance and if anyone in the area is going feel free to reach out!
0 x

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 am

gsmith6116 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:28 pm Hi Everyone, I was just looking for some 1st timer advice for this show as it looks like I'll have the chance to attend on Saturday or Sunday and hopefully spot on Monday to try and catch some (if any) departures.

If I cannot reenter does the parking area border any of the display box? (aka could I watch the Blue Angels from the parking lot)
From what i can tell it looks like the display line is a bit far away from the crowd line, will a 300mm lens be okay for some flying shots?
It looks like the runway is adjacent to the display line so takeoff/landing shots are not possible?

Many thanks in advance!

Greg

Here are a few of my memories from the 2018 show (only one I've been to):
Traffic - was waiting in the vehicle line outside one of the secondary gates at about 7:30am. Parking was controlled very well, and it went fairly smoothly. Was inside and chairs set up by about 8:30. Leaving was a bit worse. Lots more traffic, and we went out the main gate. It took a while, but it wasn't too unbearable.

Crowd size seemed fine. Nothing too bad; about normal for other shows that I've been to.

Performers were parked in front of the crowd line, but a few of the warbirds & aerobatic planes were parked in a hanger. While we were walking around the statics, we watched them tow/push several of the performers past the crowdline.

The lighting is bad. You generally face southwest-ish. The day I was there, it was overcast so the sun didn't really affect us. Two other annoyances are light poles on the tarmac between the crowd and flying performances and the main runway is off to the right, so the planes don't take off right in front of you.

300mm lens? Not sure. I'll have to check my pics. At the time, I was using a bridge camera with a 28-600mm lens. I don't recall any issues other than poor lighting (facing the sun and overcast). EDIT: many of my photos were taken between 400 and 600mm, depending on the act. 300mm may not be enough.

In 2018, the statics were good IMO. Having a C-5, C-17, and C-130 all there was pretty cool. I wanted them parked next to each other so you could see the size differences. They also had a B-52 which I haven't seen for quite a while.
Last edited by Ken91 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

gsmith6116

Post by gsmith6116 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm

Ken91 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 am
gsmith6116 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:28 pm Hi Everyone, I was just looking for some 1st timer advice for this show as it looks like I'll have the chance to attend on Saturday or Sunday and hopefully spot on Monday to try and catch some (if any) departures.

Many thanks in advance!

Greg

Here are a few of my memories from the 2018 show (only one I've been to):
Traffic - was waiting in the vehicle line outside one of the secondary gates at about 7:30am. Parking was controlled very well, and it went fairly smoothly. Was inside and chairs set up by about 8:30. Leaving was a bit worse. Lots more traffic, and we went out the main gate. It took a while, but it wasn't too unbearable.

Crowd size seemed fine. Nothing too bad; about normal for other shows that I've been to.

Performers were parked in front of the crowd line, but a few of the warbirds & aerobatic planes were parked in a hanger. While we were walking around the statics, we watched them tow/push several of the performers past the crowdline.

The lighting is bad. You generally face southwest-ish. The day I was there, it was overcast so the sun didn't really affect us. Two other annoyances are light poles on the tarmac between the crowd and flying performances and the main runway is off to the right, so the planes don't take off right in front of you.

300mm lens? Not sure. I'll have to check my pics. At the time, I was using a bridge camera with a 28-600mm lens. I don't recall any issues other than poor lighting (facing the sun and overcast). EDIT: many of my photos were taken between 400 and 600mm, depending on the act. 300mm may not be enough.

In 2018, the statics were good IMO. Having a C-5, C-17, and C-130 all there was pretty cool. I wanted them parked next to each other so you could see the size differences. They also had a B-52 which I haven't seen for quite a while.
Thanks for your help Ken!
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”