Corona virus, Covid-19 and airshows?

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Yuma is open to the public as long as you have prepurchased tickets. Otherwise it will be DOD/base access only.
Friends and Followers,
Based on recent updates concerning the Coronavirus (COVID-19) the Commanding Officer of Marine Corps Air Station Yuma has made the determination in the best interest of the community and base personnel to close the 2020 Airshow to the public. If you have purchased tickets to the grandstands, parking passes, chalets, VIP passes or a holder of a Common Access Card or base access you can still attend the airshow. Continue to follow us on social media for more information regarding the 2020 MCAS Yuma Airshow.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:55 pm

jpujol wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 pm Shaping-up to be a repeat of the "2013 Sequestration".
I fear we are looking at just that this year. Many airshows are now at military bases and what base commander wants to be responsible for tens of thousands of civilians - who may have Covid19 and have those under their command & care pass around - on their base? Some bases & great airshow hosts like Miramar also host quarantine sites.

That said I sincerely hope there is an ability to salvage some airshow season, somehow. But as we all know, there is NO enforceable social distancing at an airshow!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Yuma has now fully canceled their show to everyone.
Good morning everyone,

Per the CO of MCAS Yuma, and due to the COVID-19 concerns and safety of the public, we will be cancelling the entire Airshow (both days) to both the general public and those who have purchased tickets.

Full refunds will be issued from the ticketing site starting on March 16th, 2020 to those who have purchased upgraded seating and upgraded parking.

If you have any additional questions, please be sure to contact our CommStrat office MCAS Yuma.

We are saddened that we have to cancel our favorite event of the year, but want to reiterate that safety is our number one priority.

Thank you.

-Yuma Airshow Team
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7269537066
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Ken91

Post by Ken91 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Yikes. Just about everything is being cancelled or "postponed". Pro sports, college sports, college classes (going online here in FL). It'll be interesting to see what happens to airshows that aren't on military bases, like SUN 'n FUN. I can imagine that at least some of the vendors, or even performers, may back out due to virus concerns. How long will this last?!?! No one really knows.

Thanks to all of you posting the news from the various shows! Even if I wasn't planning to attend, it's good to hear about the other shows.
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Laughlin AFB has canceled their show
After multiple meetings and conversations with local civilian and military health officials, we have decided to cancel the 2020 Fiesta of Flight Air and Space Expo due to COVID-19 concerns. We are doing everything we can in conjunction with local officials to help minimize the spread of COVID-19.

“While there are no cases in Val Verde County or Laughlin Air Force Base, we are taking necessary precautions and following risk-based measures consistent with guidance from the Department Of Defense and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),” said Col. Lee Gentile, 47th Flying Training Wing commander.

“We regret having to make this decision, but are interested in keeping our Airmen, their families, and the families in the Del Rio community safe,” Gentile said. "It is our responsibility to keep our Airmen, families and communities safe.”

Information regarding COVID-19 will be released as it becomes available.

https://www.laughlin.af.mil/News/Articl ... cancelled/
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Multiple outlets/people I know reporting that El Centro is canceled per the PAO on base. Nothing official released yet.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Aviation related: the Yankee Air Museum will be closed until March 18th or longer
The Yankee Air Museum takes the health and safety of our volunteers, staff, and community seriously. We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 developments and taking action based on that advice.

As such, we have made the difficult decision to close all Museum facilities both externally and internally until at least end of business on Wednesday, March 18th, 2020.

All public programs, tours, meetings and special uses of the buildings between now and March 18 are postponed or cancelled at this time.

We will re-evaluate this decision on Wednesday, March 18.

While this decision was difficult, we feel it is our responsibility to provide a safe environment for our guests, members, volunteers and staff. Additionally, we believe that we are doing our part to help minimize the spread of this virus and the impact it will have on our community.

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we do what is right for our institution.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

TooTallDean

Post by TooTallDean » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:43 am

WOW!

When I started this thread less than a week ago (Sun, Mar 8), I was looking for a bit of intel on RIAT and RNIAD.
It is amazing what has happened since then.
A mere 5 days only!

Before last Sun, I hadn't officially committed to going to UK, but was fairly certain I would.
Now, I have not totally spiked my plans, but it's pretty damn clear that will happen.

Even my local show is in danger...
I fully expect that Abbotsford AIAS will go next, after our Health minister said:
"...event organizers are being told to cancel all gatherings of 250 people or more."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-health-offici ... -1.4850891

Interesting times...
Last edited by TooTallDean on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 pm

The Manassas show scheduled for May has been canceled
Friends,

In the spirit of public safety & health, MARBA and the City of Manassas are jointly cancelling the Leaseweb Manassas Airshow 2020 scheduled for May 1-3, 2020.

We will see you in 2021 for a great Airshow.

Kevin & Ann Rychlik
MARBA
Airshow Co-Chairman
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Couldn't even get a post written before Luke cancelled also
We have decided to cancel Luke Days 2020 airshow scheduled for March 21-22, 2020 due to growing COVID-19 concerns and to mitigate health risks to attendees.

“We continue to take the health of our Airmen and our community very seriously,” said Brig. Gen. Todd D. Canterbury, 56th Fighter Wing commander. “This decision to cancel was made after multiple meetings and conversations with our local community leaders and military health officials. We’re doing our civic duty to protect our citizens on a local level. We are continually monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) in conjunction with the Arizona Department of Health Services and Maricopa County Public Health.”

Base senior leaders are focused on keeping everyone informed with current information and preventive measures as it becomes available from the Department of Defense and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com