Dayton Air Show 2020 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Exactly it's up to the government as to what they can do.The biggest hurdle I could see would be getting into the grounds.There are lineups, security checks. Lineups for food etc . Can't see that working if they are still using social distancing measures which I think will still be around.
1 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 pm

yyz64 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:24 pm Exactly it's up to the government as to what they can do.The biggest hurdle I could see would be getting into the grounds.There are lineups, security checks. Lineups for food etc . Can't see that working if they are still using social distancing measures which I think will still be around.
Me neither, however, if they're moving ahead with it I'm sure there is a plan. Up to the people whether they trust or want to be in that environment.
0 x

AndrewB2003

Post by AndrewB2003 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am

I know this idea may seem off script, but what are the chances of this?

What if airshow performers from already cancelled shows that weekend come to Dayton? They could maybe Dayton an extra big show by doing this. It would benefit the Dayton show by extra revenue and would also benefit airshow performers, since they’ll at least be performing. I know it’s a longshot, and they’d have to make the airshow longer, but I really think this would be a good idea.

Now the biggest problem I have with that, is it would likely draw extra crowds and create more chaos as it sounds like social distancing may still be in effect.

Thoughts?
0 x
Andrew
Aviation photographer
Canon EOS Rebel T4i |100-400mm

AndrewB2003

Post by AndrewB2003 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:24 am

Also, just going off a normal airshow scenario, anyone expect more performers added to the list?
0 x
Andrew
Aviation photographer

EricP

Post by EricP » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 am

AndrewB2003 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:24 am Also, just going off a normal airshow scenario, anyone expect more performers added to the list?
I think the show is in serious jeopardy right now after what I read Saturday. The DoD extended their travel ban to 30 Jun which would mean no military participation at the show. The DoD did state that they would be revisiting the ban every 15 days or so and didn't rule out lifting the ban earlier. I'm not involved with the show in any capacity, but I would think they would need to know probably by mid-May or the end of May at the latest whether or not there would be military participation to determine if they will move forward with the show or not.
Last edited by EricP on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Eric P.

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:46 pm

AndrewB2003 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am I know this idea may seem off script, but what are the chances of this?

What if airshow performers from already cancelled shows that weekend come to Dayton? They could maybe Dayton an extra big show by doing this. It would benefit the Dayton show by extra revenue and would also benefit airshow performers, since they’ll at least be performing. I know it’s a longshot, and they’d have to make the airshow longer, but I really think this would be a good idea.

Now the biggest problem I have with that, is it would likely draw extra crowds and create more chaos as it sounds like social distancing may still be in effect.

Thoughts?
Good debate, but I'm not sure that logic holds up - more performers is unlikely to draw any more people than would go already. And it's tens of thousands of dollars the show would have to come up with at the relative last minute to pay for those performances.

The show will already be hurting financially just given the situation. Sponsoring companies and the local government will be short on cash due to the shut down. Even if the rules allow an event to go on, there may not be the financial backing to do so. If a show does happen, I would think you are actually far more likely to see a smaller event with fewer performers and a smaller budget.

I specifically know of one other show that is facing this same pressure. Publicly they are pressing ahead with the show (marketing-wise you have to be 100% GO until the minute you cancel it) but privately they are facing a significant cut back in budget and a significantly smaller event or full cancellation is a real possibility if things don't turn around quickly. I suspect most shows are in the same boat.

I personally think that people are too focused on the restrictions on events and assuming shows will come back as soon as they're relaxed. The industry is highly reliant on sponsors which will likely not be up to the commitment this year. I think we will see cascading show cancellations even late in the year as the economics begin to take their toll more heavily.
2 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

AndrewB2003

Post by AndrewB2003 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:49 pm

RyanS wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:46 pm
AndrewB2003 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am I know this idea may seem off script, but what are the chances of this?

Thoughts?
Good debate, but I'm not sure that logic holds up - more performers is unlikely to draw any more people than would go already. And it's tens of thousands of dollars the show would have to come up with at the relative last minute to pay for those performances.

The show will already be hurting financially just given the situation. Sponsoring companies and the local government will be short on cash due to the shut down. Even if the rules allow an event to go on, there may not be the financial backing to do so. If a show does happen, I would think you are actually far more likely to see a smaller event with fewer performers and a smaller budget.

I specifically know of one other show that is facing this same pressure. Publicly they are pressing ahead with the show (marketing-wise you have to be 100% GO until the minute you cancel it) but privately they are facing a significant cut back in budget and a significantly smaller event or full cancellation is a real possibility if things don't turn around quickly. I suspect most shows are in the same boat.

I personally think that people are too focused on the restrictions on events and assuming shows will come back as soon as they're relaxed. The industry is highly reliant on sponsors which will likely not be up to the commitment this year. I think we will see cascading show cancellations even late in the year as the economics begin to take their toll more heavily.
Thanks for the info. Seems like a lot of smaller airshow will really be struggling this year :-(

But with issues with sponsors, can a bigger show like Oshkosh or Miramar still go on?

Thanks,
0 x
Andrew
Aviation photographer

EricP

Post by EricP » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Dayton Air Show is postponed...per local news.
0 x
Eric P.

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Officials of the Vectren Dayton Air Show Presented by Kroger announced today that due to Coronavirus Pandemic concerns it will postpone the 2020 show until later this summer. The show was originally scheduled for June 27th and 28th.

“The safety of our guests, volunteers and performers is our first and foremost priority, “stated Michael Emoff, United States Air and Trade Show Board of Trustees immediate past chair. "After close consultation with state and federal officials as well as other experts, we’ve determined it’s in the best interest of the community and show if we postpone the event until later this summer. “I want to assure you we will do everything we can to hold a 2020 show," he added.

Show officials are in close contact with the Ohio Governor’s office, military, performers and other key organizations to determine the best weekend to reschedule the 2020 show. Once a decision on a date is made, a public announcement will be made and posted on the show’s website, www.daytonairshow.com. Our overall objective is to have a safe and high-quality show with top military and civilian feature attractions.

Any tickets or specialty seating that have already been purchased for the 2020 show will be honored on the rescheduled dates. We thank you for your support and patience during this difficult time.

Learn more at www.DaytonAirShow.com.
From their Facebook Page

0 x
Dan Gagnon

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:36 pm
Officials of the Vectren Dayton Air Show Presented by Kroger announced today that due to Coronavirus Pandemic concerns it will postpone the 2020 show until later this summer. The show was originally scheduled for June 27th and 28th.

“The safety of our guests, volunteers and performers is our first and foremost priority, “stated Michael Emoff, United States Air and Trade Show Board of Trustees immediate past chair. "After close consultation with state and federal officials as well as other experts, we’ve determined it’s in the best interest of the community and show if we postpone the event until later this summer. “I want to assure you we will do everything we can to hold a 2020 show," he added.

Show officials are in close contact with the Ohio Governor’s office, military, performers and other key organizations to determine the best weekend to reschedule the 2020 show. Once a decision on a date is made, a public announcement will be made and posted on the show’s website, www.daytonairshow.com. Our overall objective is to have a safe and high-quality show with top military and civilian feature attractions.

Any tickets or specialty seating that have already been purchased for the 2020 show will be honored on the rescheduled dates. We thank you for your support and patience during this difficult time.

Learn more at www.DaytonAirShow.com.
From their Facebook Page

I had a feeling this was coming...
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”