Abbotsford International Airshow 2020 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Chuter

Post by Chuter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:17 am

AirshowHawk wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:42 am I’ve personally been holding back on posting as we are obviously faced with the unknown due to this pandemic.

Although restrictions may soon be changing, it’s already been made obvious that no large scale gatherings/events will be occurring in the province of British Columbia this summer. There is really no way around that. The next best thing in this situation is for the show to postpone, however that is much easier said than done. It’s likely that if a postponed event even takes place, it will differ greatly from the event we are normally accustomed to and could be much smaller.

My fingers are crossed that I’m wrong. The AIAS is looking into all alternatives possible (as mentioned in the article above) and they will officially announce the fate of this years event in due time. With that being said, I apologize for not being able to provide any further performer and statics updates like normal.

Stay safe everyone.
In emails organizers, performers and industry members received from ICAS just a few days ago... there are a few things on the table. Virtual airshows might be the best we get this year OR what was oddly suggested, a "drive-in" airshow. Show organizers have been told to hold off cancellations until the last possible minute. I'll be curious to see how this goes.

With the Rocky Mountain House show slated for August cancelling, I think it's only a matter of time until the AIAS does the same. Unfortunate reality.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:17 am

According to MILAVIA, our show is now to be decided. This could either mean virtual, drive in, something entirely different, postponement, or cancellation. Now most airshows in August are already cancelled, so we could be next, but never say never until the decision is made.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/calend ... erica.html
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Sun May 03, 2020 2:45 am

Viper93 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:17 am According to MILAVIA, our show is now to be decided. This could either mean virtual, drive in, something entirely different, postponement, or cancellation. Now most airshows in August are already cancelled, so we could be next, but never say never until the decision is made.

https://www.milavia.net/airshows/calend ... erica.html
I feel like half the shows July and onwards are to be decided lol. I wouldn't presume anything until an announcement is made. All I know is the August schedule isn't too optimistic
Last edited by Chuter on Sun May 03, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Mon May 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Officially Cancelled. Next show in 2021...Hopefully
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon May 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Post from their Facebook Page:
Good morning Abby Airshow fans. We had hoped this day would not come, but it is with great disappointment that we announce the cancellation of our 2020 event due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While this decision is heart-breaking for us, we know it is necessary to protect the health and safety of the community.

If you already purchased a ticket to the 2020 Airshow, you will be contacted directly by email with further information and options.

Canada's National Airshow will return to the skies over Abbotsford in August 2021 and in the meantime, we are working on a very special project to share with you this summer.

Thank you in advance for your support during these challenging times, and to everyone doing their part to end the spread of COVID-19. We wish the best of health to you and your families.

Sincerely,

The Abbotsford International Airshow 🇨🇦
0 x
Dan Gagnon

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Hardly surpringly. Still sucks.

Does anyone know the dates for the 2021 show? Aug. 1 is on a Sunday so I'm not sure if that counts as the first weekend or not.
AirshowHawk wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:19 am My fingers are crossed for a couple of things I've heard of in the works for this year. No teasers/info though, especially this early. I'm sure AIAS will take care of that in due time. :D
Care to tease us now? Need some good news on here.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 am

JA Boomer wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 pm Hardly surpringly. Still sucks.

Does anyone know the dates for the 2021 show? Aug. 1 is on a Sunday so I'm not sure if that counts as the first weekend or not.
AirshowHawk wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:19 am My fingers are crossed for a couple of things I've heard of in the works for this year. No teasers/info though, especially this early. I'm sure AIAS will take care of that in due time. :D
The dates for 2021 will be August 13-15 which falls with the AIAS tradition of hosting the show on the 2nd weekend of August.

At this point, I doubt any rumours about what was in the works for this year will be good news in any respective. There were some rumours about possible international participation for static and some flyby requests but nothing was ever made official or even confirmed for that matter. I understand that when it comes to flying events for 2021, they aim to have similar participation to this year with the exception of the USAF and the RCAF/ other military assets that require confirmation. It's a bummer considering how unlucky Abbotsford has been with acquiring the F-22 in recent years. It's practically a curse!
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Tue May 05, 2020 3:05 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 am
JA Boomer wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 pm Hardly surpringly. Still sucks.

The dates for 2021 will be August 13-15 which falls with the AIAS tradition of hosting the show on the 2nd weekend of August.

At this point, I doubt any rumours about what was in the works for this year will be good news in any respective. There were some rumours about possible international participation for static and some flyby requests but nothing was ever made official or even confirmed for that matter. I understand that when it comes to flying events for 2021, they aim to have similar participation to this year with the exception of the USAF and the RCAF/ other military assets that require confirmation. It's a bummer considering how unlucky Abbotsford has been with acquiring the F-22 in recent years. It's practically a curse!
The dates for next years show are August 6, 7 & 8. Historically, I believe the airshow has occurred on both the 13-15 and 6-8 weekends. For 2021 they have chosen the 6-8 option.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue May 05, 2020 6:35 pm

Oh right... it’s listed on the main website as 6th-8th. My bad! :lol:
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Interesting as its scheduled to be on the same weekend as Seattle Seafair? Not sure that's ever happened before.
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”