Thunder Over Michigan 2020 (CANCELLED)

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm expecting a small, but strong turnout for the theme. Even when announced it was never likely to be more than half a dozen Luftwaffe aircraft – which isn't likely to be equaled elsewhere in the US anyway, except the MAM show. The Erickson aircraft, the Ju52 and FW190 from MAM, the new Tri-State FW190 and maybe a 262 would be good enough for me. There will be other warbirds too.
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:26 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm I'm expecting a small, but strong turnout for the theme. Even when announced it was never likely to be more than half a dozen Luftwaffe aircraft – which isn't likely to be equaled elsewhere in the US anyway, except the MAM show. The Erickson aircraft, the Ju52 and FW190 from MAM, the new Tri-State FW190 and maybe a 262 would be good enough for me. There will be other warbirds too.
What you stated are the most likely attendees. That's 6, and there is a chance for 8-10 with the others on the table.

As you said, there are also other warbirds on the list, and there is the good chance that since the amount of planes will be lower than the Corsair gathering, 1 special aircraft will be there as well (think along the lines of XP-82, Firefly, F-4/F-100, things of that nature). This is TBD depending on how many Luftwaffe aircraft are confirmed.

I think it's also important to note that with the confirmed Legacy Flight, in Michigan that typically means something from WHF, T-2 or A-4?

Even though the theme is a hard one, it will be an record for the current warbird world, and the show is buffed up with some fighter jets too.
0 x

robert16627

Post by robert16627 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm

GRNDP51 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:26 pm
kalamazookid wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm I'm expecting a small, but strong turnout for the theme. Even when announced it was never likely to be more than half a dozen Luftwaffe aircraft – which isn't likely to be equaled elsewhere in the US anyway, except the MAM show. The Erickson aircraft, the Ju52 and FW190 from MAM, the new Tri-State FW190 and maybe a 262 would be good enough for me. There will be other warbirds too.
What you stated are the most likely attendees. That's 6, and there is a chance for 8-10 with the others on the table.

As you said, there are also other warbirds on the list, and there is the good chance that since the amount of planes will be lower than the Corsair gathering, 1 special aircraft will be there as well (think along the lines of XP-82, Firefly, F-4/F-100, things of that nature). This is TBD depending on how many Luftwaffe aircraft are confirmed.

I think it's also important to note that with the confirmed Legacy Flight, in Michigan that typically means something from WHF, T-2 or A-4?

Even though the theme is a hard one, it will be an record for the current warbird world, and the show is buffed up with some fighter jets too.
What Fighter Jets will be there?
0 x

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 pm

robert16627 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm What Fighter Jets will be there?
The already announced Blue Angels, F-35 demo, and Legacy Flight. That's without any of the static fighters, already a good presence for 2020.
0 x

martin_sam_2000

Post by martin_sam_2000 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm

as posted by Tom Walsh on facebook, the German's are sending a P-3 for static at this years show!!

Sean
3 x

Bretten Bailey

Post by Bretten Bailey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:13 am

The theme aircraft for 2020 will be the FW-190 Wurger.
0 x
Bretten Bailey - Aerial Actions Airshows & Ballooning

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:47 pm

FROM ICAS FAST FACTS JUNE 9th 2020

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN DRIVING FORWARD

For Kevin Walsh, it's a constant fight for everything. His Thunder Over Michigan Air Show is held each year in Ypsilanti, just outside of Detroit, one of the hardest-hit areas in the country for the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of those difficulties, the state has some of the most stringent guidelines for re-opening post-pandemic. Still, hoping to hold an event on the show’s scheduled August 29-30 dates, Walsh and his team are entertaining multiple options to make sure that no matter how the show goes on, it will be socially responsible.

Normally, ten weeks before an air show, event organizers would never consider the kinds of format pivots that Thunder is discussing. One option on the table is the drive-in format (see related article, COVID-19: A NEW AIR SHOW PLAYBOOK, below). While the drive-in option poses significant challenges and creates a considerable reduction in the size of the potential audience, the Thunder team believes that it is vital to continue connecting with the community. Walsh thinks that a single-year event format change is manageable and could actually boost audience buy-in for future shows, if appropriately handled with current ticket holders.

Under the best of circumstances, late adjustments to a show’s format come with significant planning challenges, but COVID-related public health requirements pose additional and substantial hurdles. "To get something approved, you must meet the standards today," said Walsh. To give the show a chance at success, Thunder is working closely with government representatives (including public health officials ) to make them part of the event planning process. But first you must work with spectators, sponsors and other stakeholders. As Kevin says, “Come with a plan."

The majority of Thunder Over Michigan's audience is traditionally under the age of 60, which decreases the number of high-risk attendees, but the health threat remains strong. Event planning has been helped by recent CDC revelations that the virus does not spread well on surfaces or outdoors. That is good news for organizers, but planning and executing a show in the current environment will still be very challenging.

Walsh is hopeful that no matter what format his team decides to use, Thunder will be able to hold their show this year and put them into a good position for future events post-pandemic. The difficulties of today's environment may soon be a memory, but adjusting to be successful now is key for success. "We're not strangers to a brutal climate [in the air show industry], but this one is complicated," Walsh said of the difficulties surrounding the pandemic and the ability to persevere through this challenging situation.
0 x

zigtronics

Post by zigtronics » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:10 pm

I see no link to said Playbook?
0 x

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:22 pm

zigtronics wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:10 pm I see no link to said Playbook?
https://airshowdigest.aero/2020/06/08/c ... -playbook/
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:45 pm

It's an interesting idea and I'm desperate enough for an airshow to go along with it if they can pull it off.
0 x
Matt

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”