New York Air Show 2020

Discussion relating to 2020 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
runningmovies

Post by runningmovies » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Will this be streamed like OC airshow?
0 x

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:00 pm

runningmovies wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:27 pm Will this be streamed like OC airshow?
Indeed it will be live streamed both days!
Source: https://air.show/

It will also be aviaible later on NYAS website:
0 x

MadisonMike

Post by MadisonMike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:05 pm

There is nothing on the sites regarding a live stream from the NY show. I checked the main site and the NY site but nothing mentions updated live stream. The link brings you to the OC show.
I am becoming more concerned about the weather next weekend. The tail end of Hurricane Laura may be leaving the east coast Saturday into Sunday.
Sunday may be clear by showtime, but may remain breezy as the storm pulls off the coast.
0 x

Chris S

Post by Chris S » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:53 pm

FYI - I contacted Air.Show and as of Monday they said they were NOT planning a livestream for the New York show.
0 x

jpujol

Post by jpujol » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:46 pm

F-22 Demo will not set-up their tent at OC Airport, so no swag.
0 x

MadisonMike

Post by MadisonMike » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:47 pm

The Saturday show was cancelled due to weather concerns. Thunderstorms in the area. While it is disappointing for all, safety is paramount for the pilots and crew.

Sunday's forecast looks much more promising. Looking forward to the show.
0 x

MadisonMike

Post by MadisonMike » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Sunday's show went off as scheduled, it was a beautiful day. Looking at the schedule full of cancellations, I feel lucky to be able to attend one. I will focus on the positives about the experience yesterday. I could point out areas for improvement, but it was an Air Show this year. I took plenty of photos, and it will take a some time to get through them and I will share them as well. I had multiple people cancel on me, one due to potential covid exposure, sort of understandable, and the others.... :roll: I did drag my wife to her first show with me and she sat in awe of the modern aircraft and had a good time.

The drive-in format worked well and no issues that I could see, but I am only one guy. It looks like the Orange County govt and show promoter worked hard to pull it off with many last minute changes. The restricted numbers in attendance made entry and exiting pretty smooth and much faster than in previous years. It's never easy getting all the cars in or out at the same time. The staff were friendly and seemed to be enjoying the day. Cars were spaced out from each other and there were clear lines where you park and space for you to sit. There was an abundance of portable toilets. I only saw one vendor and it was while I was on the way out so no chance of stopping. I did miss the social aspect of attending a show. People did keep their distance so there was little interaction with other spectators. I know, to some that sounds AWESOME, but if you enjoy interacting, not so good.

The show was on the short side, but again, there was a show. The format was similar to a show over a beach. No take offs and landings other than the West Point Parachute Team. Stewart has a runway that can accommodate any aircraft and was the base of operations.
1 x

Al B

Post by Al B » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:05 am

MadisonMike wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:18 pm Sunday's show went off as scheduled, it was a beautiful day. Looking at the schedule full of cancellations, I feel lucky to be able to attend one. I will focus on the positives about the experience yesterday. I could point out areas for improvement, but it was an Air Show this year. I took plenty of photos, and it will take a some time to get through them and I will share them as well. I had multiple people cancel on me, one due to potential covid exposure, sort of understandable, and the others.... :roll: I did drag my wife to her first show with me and she sat in awe of the modern aircraft and had a good time.

The drive-in format worked well and no issues that I could see, but I am only one guy. It looks like the Orange County govt and show promoter worked hard to pull it off with many last minute changes. The restricted numbers in attendance made entry and exiting pretty smooth and much faster than in previous years. It's never easy getting all the cars in or out at the same time. The staff were friendly and seemed to be enjoying the day. Cars were spaced out from each other and there were clear lines where you park and space for you to sit. There was an abundance of portable toilets. I only saw one vendor and it was while I was on the way out so no chance of stopping. I did miss the social aspect of attending a show. People did keep their distance so there was little interaction with other spectators. I know, to some that sounds AWESOME, but if you enjoy interacting, not so good.

The show was on the short side, but again, there was a show. The format was similar to a show over a beach. No take offs and landings other than the West Point Parachute Team. Stewart has a runway that can accommodate any aircraft and was the base of operations.
I agree with everything you said. All things considered it was a good day. My only complaint was I missed the opportunity for static, plus t.o. and landing cycles, due to the venue change. I went for the photography aspect and upgraded from the Photo Pit to Front Row.

But other than that I think the organizer did the best that could be done, under the circumstances. Hopefully they will be able to do the show in 2021 at Stewart International.
Last edited by Al B on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

brianmanig

Post by brianmanig » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Many shots to go through still, but here are a few from the Sunday show!
Attachments
F22 Dedication Pass_3616.jpg
F22 Dedication Pass_3616.jpg (347.28 KiB) Viewed 8848 times
Heritage Flight_3753.jpg
Heritage Flight_3753.jpg (221.06 KiB) Viewed 8848 times
2 x

Al B

Post by Al B » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Nice shots Brian.
0 x

Return to “2020 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”