Best settings

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
GarrettR111

Best settings

Post by GarrettR111 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:31 am

So, I've been shooting airshows for a few years and feel I've gotten some rather good photos in the past. I've been wanting to take my shots up a level and have been looking through at what settings in camera I can change to help achieve that. I've looked through recent galleries here and studied the meta data, cross reverencing to see what I can do differently. I just shot a day at the Milwaukee airshow and have Airventure coming up to experiment a bit. Like the metadata here, I tried 2/3 stop down compensation with 160 ISO but reviewing the pictures now they look noisy as hell, which surprises me for a Canon R6 at only 160. Should I turn off noise reduction (currently set at standard)? Or is there something else I've been missing
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:38 am

Those settings sound familiar :)

If an R6 is too noisy at ISO160, I think something is probably wrong with the camera. That's really surprising. I mean every image has some noise but it should be easily removed in PS or almost any photo editor. If it's TOO noisy that's very odd and well below what an R6 should be delivering.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

GarrettR111

Post by GarrettR111 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:28 pm

That's what I was thinking too, I think I figured it out though and was just looking a little to closely at the images in general. The noise is still somewhat noticeable once editing and bringing them up to a normal exposure but not nearly as bad as I had originally thought they were. Do you just edit in PS or start with LR? Wondering if the noise removal is better in PS (currently I just use LR)
0 x