Possible Participation By European Teams In 2024

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
jacobpyxu15

Post by jacobpyxu15 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:36 am

It seems as though most shows have released their headliners at ICAS. The Frecce Tricolori have already confirmed their schedule, but is there any news about the Red Arrows or Patrouille de France in North America?
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:47 am

jacobpyxu15 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:36 am It seems as though most shows have released their headliners at ICAS. The Frecce Tricolori have already confirmed their schedule, but is there any news about the Red Arrows or Patrouille de France in North America?
Good question. I know I'm not the only one based on a text conversation I'm having, but I actually find it very strange that the airshows themselves are announcing the Frecce Tricolori as appearing at their shows, and not the team itself. One promoter has them at two locations near me but we are also talking about the same promoter who I've vowed would never get another cent from myself or my wife. It's either bite the bullet, go there, and stay somewhat local, or travel.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:17 am

jacobpyxu15 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:36 am It seems as though most shows have released their headliners at ICAS. The Frecce Tricolori have already confirmed their schedule, but is there any news about the Red Arrows or Patrouille de France in North America?
The Red Arrows tour is still pending approval. It will run through August until some time in September. If I had to guess - and it's only a guess - I'd say we'll see a tour schedule from them in Q1 2024.

I've always been very sceptical of the PAF rumour. The only source for that rumour was a post by a civilian airshow team that claimed they and the Red Arrows would be at Bagotville in June, and they weren't right about the Reds. The PAF already have one of their busiest ever domestic seasons, with the D-Day anniversary in June, French Air Force centenary events in June and September, the Olympics in July and August and of course the usual French airshows too - I would be quite surprised if they could find the time.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:45 pm

Adam wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:17 am
The Red Arrows tour is still pending approval. It will run through August until some time in September. If I had to guess - and it's only a guess - I'd say we'll see a tour schedule from them in Q1 2024.

I've always been very sceptical of the PAF rumour. The only source for that rumour was a post by a civilian airshow team that claimed they and the Red Arrows would be at Bagotville in June, and they weren't right about the Reds. The PAF already have one of their busiest ever domestic seasons, with the D-Day anniversary in June, French Air Force centenary events in June and September, the Olympics in July and August and of course the usual French airshows too - I would be quite surprised if they could find the time.
The French came over in 2017 and that was a March to late April tour. I'd think with all the stuff they've got going on back home any North American visit would be in the early part of the year. Sadly, I never got to see them due to a hospital stay.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:32 pm

I'm holding out hope for the Red Arrows appearance. I really enjoyed their performance in Chicago last time they came to North America and would make seeing them again a priority. I doubt I will get to see the Frecce Tricolori unfortunately, unless they add something to that open August 17-18 weekend date. None of the current dates work with my other travel plans for next summer.
0 x
Matt

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:52 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:45 pm The French came over in 2017 and that was a March to late April tour. I'd think with all the stuff they've got going on back home any North American visit would be in the early part of the year. Sadly, I never got to see them due to a hospital stay.
That would be a substantial deviation from the original rumour. The whole idea behind the 2023 tour rumour is that they would support some of the big RCAF centenary events because of the strong ties between France and Canada; a March/April timeframe does not align with that.

The 2017 visit was always billed as a "US Tour", not a North American/Canadian one.
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 16-54-38 Patrouille de France Officially Announces Airshow Schedule For 2017 North American Tour.png
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 16-54-38 Patrouille de France Officially Announces Airshow Schedule For 2017 North American Tour.png (205.76 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Last edited by Adam on Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Adam wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:52 pm
That would be a substantial deviation from the original rumour. The whole idea behind the 2023 tour rumour is that they would support some of the big RCAF centenary events because of the strong ties between France and Canada; a March/April timeframe does not align with that.

The 2017 visit was always billed as a "US Tour", not a North American/Canadian one.
In July you also have Bastille Day, which is July 14. The Olympics run from July 26 to August 11. There was a piece around the time Paris got the news they were hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics that part of the Opening Ceremonies would have involved the Patrouille de France doing a flyover. That would be on/around July 26, and if you read what ideas have been thrown around - it's not like past Summer Olympics' Opening Ceremonies - it'd make complete sense for the team to conduct a flyover.

Just a thought...
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:26 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:14 pm
Adam wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:52 pm

In July you also have Bastille Day, which is July 14. The Olympics run from July 26 to August 11. There was a piece around the time Paris got the news they were hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics that part of the Opening Ceremonies would have involved the Patrouille de France doing a flyover. That would be on/around July 26, and if you read what ideas have been thrown around - it's not like past Summer Olympics' Opening Ceremonies - it'd make complete sense for the team to conduct a flyover.

Just a thought...
Indeed. While the final schedule isn't published until around April, in total I'm aware of 7 airshows and national events in June, July and September that have either secured the PAF, or have been told they can expect PAF participation. I won't name or date them as I believe some are not yet public knowledge, but there's a fairly even spread of dates, making it very difficult to see a potential tour window during the Canadian airshow season. So as I said, I am very sceptical.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Quebecairshow1

Post by Quebecairshow1 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:21 am

And maybe if we just talk…
RCAF been create on 1st april 1924. It Will be 100 years the 1st april 2024.

Maybe the PAF could come make flyby with the RCAF in April?
Like we did in 2009 with an F-86, F-18 and Tutor?

I hope there will be at least one event at Ottawa with a lot a flyby for the 100th.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:13 am

Quebecairshow1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:21 am And maybe if we just talk…
RCAF been create on 1st april 1924. It Will be 100 years the 1st april 2024.

Maybe the PAF could come make flyby with the RCAF in April?
Like we did in 2009 with an F-86, F-18 and Tutor?

I hope there will be at least one event at Ottawa with a lot a flyby for the 100th.
Good point; I had August in my head as the centenary date for some reason. Well that might make an April visit a bit more reasonable that I first thought. I'm sure there's some keen spotters in Salon who by this point could say whether the PAF's pre-season training is running 6-8 weeks earlier than usual, which would be a good sign. Let's see...
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator