South Western US Milair Spotting

Threads about the world of aviation outside of airshows. General aviation, airlines, spotting, etc.
mstares

South Western US Milair Spotting

Post by mstares » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:02 pm

Folks,

Planning to be in the LA and Las Vegas area for 10 days commencing Easter Weekend.

I want to get a day or two of milair spotting whilst there and I am looking for recommendations within 4-5 hours drive from either LA or Vegas.

The Sidewinder complex is not a viable option this year, so looking to get some recommendations. Luke? Fallon? Miramar? Other?

I realize that Easter week will lessen traffic, but looking for a combination of reasonable chance of seeing some movements, good photography locations and spotter friendly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
0 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:20 pm

Following up on this.

Managed to get to El Centro and Yuma during our swing through the SW US.

We arrived at El Centro early Tuesday afternoon and found a pair of Growlers doing touch and go approaches. Not knowing the current security climate or state of tolerance for spotters we weren't comfortable accessing the perimeter dirt road to the west of the field but I managed to get a few shots from local roads to the east of the field.
DSC_6242_02.JPG
DSC_6242_02.JPG (75.79 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_6247_01.JPG
DSC_6247_01.JPG (89.05 KiB) Viewed 284 times
We were looking in the wrong direction however as we missed a series of USMC Helos (Super Stallions amongst others) passing through the El Centro civilian field... bah.

Then we spent the next few days in Yuma. MCAS Yuma as it turned out was in the midst of WTI exercises which likely explained the reasonable tempo of movements from the 03/21 parallels (varying with the wind). I managed to snag my quota of Sniper F-5s and F-35Bs along with a few other highlights.

Disappointed however that my timing never worked out for the Super Stallions. We will likely make a return trip at some point, though the proliferation of no trespassing signs at the SW corner of the field is concerning (Other spotters were scarce, and later in the week one group was asked to leave the dirt 'verge' across from the field's NE corner by someone purporting to be NCIS...').
DSC_6444.JPG
DSC_6444.JPG (69.4 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_8416_01.JPG
DSC_8416_01.JPG (80.06 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_6521.JPG
DSC_6521.JPG (65.03 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_7572_01.JPG
DSC_7572_01.JPG (98.78 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_7831.JPG
DSC_7831.JPG (83.78 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_8491.JPG
DSC_8491.JPG (93.25 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DSC_9466_01.JPG
DSC_9466_01.JPG (80.55 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

mstares wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:20 pm Following up on this.

Managed to get to El Centro and Yuma during our swing through the SW US.

We arrived at El Centro early Tuesday afternoon and found a pair of Growlers doing touch and go approaches. Not knowing the current security climate or state of tolerance for spotters we weren't comfortable accessing the perimeter dirt road to the west of the field but I managed to get a few shots from local roads to the east of the field.

We were looking in the wrong direction however as we missed a series of USMC Helos (Super Stallions amongst others) passing through the El Centro civilian field... bah.

Then we spent the next few days in Yuma. MCAS Yuma as it turned out was in the midst of WTI exercises which likely explained the reasonable tempo of movements from the 03/21 parallels (varying with the wind). I managed to snag my quota of Sniper F-5s and F-35Bs along with a few other highlights.

Disappointed however that my timing never worked out for the Super Stallions. We will likely make a return trip at some point, though the proliferation of no trespassing signs at the SW corner of the field is concerning (Other spotters were scarce, and later in the week one group was asked to leave the dirt 'verge' across from the field's NE corner by someone purporting to be NCIS...').
That's concerning, I have heard Yuma during WTI is a good time and it'd be a shame if they are cracking down on spotting. Glad you got to see some good stuff nonetheless!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

mstares

Post by mstares » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

We were definitely well entertained for a few days!

I am not trying to forecast much doom and gloom. Some of the signage only appeared whilst we were there, and even then only to the south of the fence on the SW corner. No signage to the North of the fence, where you get PM departures from the 21s.... Great spot actually.

The spotters being asked to move from the NE corner was on the Friday, we had spotted there for the prior two days with no issue. The County Fair was in operation and that certainly would have been an issue on the NE corner later in the day as the overflow parking fills the verge area.

One last detail. i was quite pleased to have packed my scanner, with the sightlines you otherwise get essentially no notice of departures.
0 x