2024 MCAS Yuma Airshow

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
shelbs2

Post by shelbs2 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:17 pm

RyanS wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:54 pm
shelbs2 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:24 am Never been to this one before. Are there any good spots to watch from on Friday for practice or arrivals that don't get closed off?
Join us in the fairgrounds parking lot just north of the base, best spot we found for watching
awesome! I'll come look for you guys!
0 x

avravalleyaviation

Post by avravalleyaviation » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:27 pm

Will the Yuma show have a P-51 or P-40 for the heritage flight? The website lists the P-40 however they didn’t attend Heritage Flight Training this past week, which I think would prevent them from doing heritage flights since they weren’t certified. Anyone know?
0 x

cerflo95

Post by cerflo95 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:44 pm

A P-38 is parked next to F-22 🤞
1 x

avravalleyaviation

Post by avravalleyaviation » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:02 pm

VFA-151 CAG is coming and also the harrier is VMA-231 CAG

weather tomorrow Is looking nice with a low of 49 and a high of 77, weather should be sunny from when the show begins to 12:30, then cloudy until the end of the show at 2:30
0 x

smwelch

Post by smwelch » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:15 am

Good to see RaZZ using flares in his shortened show today (mechanical issue caused his demonstration to be cut short). No Navy F-18 or USMc MV-22 demo.

No sign of a static Harrier either as of 17:15L on Friday evening.
0 x

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 am

Thanks for the updates guys.
A schedule doing the rounds seems to agree with the F-18 demo going AWOL but still mentions a VMX-1 ( MV-22? ) demo before the F-35?
Over from the UK and looking forward to a bit of spring sun which is in woefully short supply over the other side of the pond!
0 x

BoundingOverwatch

Post by BoundingOverwatch » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:58 am

I wonder if VMX-1 cobbled something together with AH-1s or the new CH-53K...this is conjecture of course. I bet it's not a typo though. Something VMX-1 related will be flying. Not surprised about the V-22 demo not happening, the grounding probably meant they couldn't certify before hand.
Annoyed the Navy F-18 went AWOL, but I'll be happy as long as the MAGTF demo is cool and I can see funny camo'd F-5s, and I'm intrigued as to what this VMX-1 demo is now. I guess I will find out tomorrow!
0 x

BoundingOverwatch

Post by BoundingOverwatch » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:07 pm

Was 100% wrong about anything VMX-1 related...not the best air show, but not bad either. Will post more analysis tomorrow.
0 x

BoundingOverwatch

Post by BoundingOverwatch » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:21 pm

Ok, now that my 7.5 hour death march east bound down I-10/I-8 is complete...here are my thoughts in no particular order.

- losing the F-18 and MV-22 hurt the show. We started at 1030 and we were done by 1. It was a short show. On the other hand, as someone who is usually annoyed by (imo) filler at airshows this may not have been an actual bad thing
- I think they changed the layout this year, there was one section that while facing the F-22 demo team, was cattycorner to the showline itself...really glad I didn't choose to sit there. I sat where the planes turned into the taxi way which led to great shots.
- The MAGTF demo was sorta of disappointing. I wanted nice sharp pics of AH/UH-1s, but they did their stuff too far away so I got hazy pics much to my consternation. If I had ran over to part facing their flight line as the took off/landed I probably could of, but hindsight is 20/20. The fighters flying in the MAGTF demo flew straight and level and far away.
- F-22 demo team, as usual, stole the show, even more so with the copious flare demo.
- F-35B demo was decent, really felt like a different flavor of the F-35A demo but that's not the demo teams fault I suppose. They flew a little bit farther out than I would have liked.
- F-5s were kind of meh. Straight and level formation flying. Highlight was them taxing by.
- Statics were good, although as someone pointed out, no harrier was annoying.

Was it worth it for a 15 hour round trip? If my LCD screen checking of the F-22 flare pics are any consideration, I'd say yes. I got good pics, but not necessarily the ones I drove out for the first place (my duel with AH/UH-1s will continue I suppose). I wish this was a 2-day show, but I think having to pool resources with NAF El Centro meant it wasn't to be. I will probably come to next years as long as they have either a decent line-up or a two flying days.

Also, this was the first show where I had a person acting like I (and the 7-8 other photogs next to me) was committing a warcrime by standing in the front row, and was called a "D-bag with a camera..." I mean come on :lol:
1 x

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm

@BoundingOverwatch

Couldn’t agree more.
Had to check my watch when the show was done as it seemed over so quickly due to the cancellations. That being said I would have gone purely for the raptor demo and heritage flight as the demo in particular was awesome especially with the profligate use of flares.
As you said the local team items were a bit meh and the MAGTF demo was very much Miramar lite and it really missed the CH-53’s that were listed.
Overall though still a good day out especially with the added bonus of catching the second half of the Blues demo at El Centro on the way back down I-8. Great to see one of the Mil-24 and the CAG super hornet next to the c variant marines version. Another nice surprise being the Privateer in the static along with the Planes of Fame posse.
Must make mental note next time though to remember the time zone change coming from SoCal as we went from being on time to just entering as the anthem started! Us UK visitors aren’t used to such interstate shenanigans.
And yep, the kink in the flight line was pretty annoying from the viewpoint of the central bleachers. We missed the taxiing F-5’s and F=35’s taxiing from the hot ramp with only the plus seeing the F-22 and P-38 close up. ( Was worried the raptor wasn’t going to make it as the primary ship just didn’t want to play during two start attempts so they went to the back up instead.)
Last edited by Tangoringo on Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”